White Sox looking to deal Robertson

southsider2k5

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 05:03 PM)
Which again means that if Q is not traded and the Sox plug a couple holes (CF and DH), they actually will have a somewhat respectable roster on opening day

The White Sox roster in 2016 played downright horrific baseball for the last four and a half months of the season. That roster has since subtracted Chris Sale and Adam Eaton. So I'm not sure how it would work now where a simple "plug" in CF and DH would raise this now Sale-less and Eaton-less roster to anywhere remotely approaching "respectable".

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 04:03 PM)
Which again means that if Q is not traded and the Sox plug a couple holes (CF and DH), they actually will have a somewhat respectable roster on opening day

I agree. We are from the worst team in baseball. The only bright spot we have is that we may get beat up by most of the AL while the bad NL teams beat each other. But even then it seems like there should be some bad AL teams like the A's, Rays, and Twins. And the Royals may end up trading more of their roster as well.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 04:09 PM)
The White Sox roster in 2016 played downright horrific baseball for the last four and a half months of the season. That roster has since subtracted Chris Sale and Adam Eaton. So I'm not sure how it would work now where a simple "plug" in CF and DH would raise this now Sale-less and Eaton-less roster to anywhere remotely approaching "respectable".

I expect better seasons from Frazier and Abreu. I expect Rodon to take a big step forward. I expect Shields to be less of a pumpkin. I don't think they'll be good, but I don't think it is that crazy that this team could be around .500 June 1 adding a Colby Rasmus, and a DH (there are plenty of options). I don't think its likely, but its possible.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 04:26 PM)
I expect better seasons from Frazier and Abreu. I expect Rodon to take a big step forward. I expect Shields to be less of a pumpkin. I don't think they'll be good, but I don't think it is that crazy that this team could be around .500 June 1 adding a Colby Rasmus, and a DH (there are plenty of options). I don't think its likely, but its possible.

.500 by June first would mean that everything possible goes right for the White Sox

You're asking a ton of Gonzalez, Shields and Holland plus the bullpen.

The offense could be better if Abreu and Frazier get hot, Anderson and Melky hit, but Avi and catcher will likely be black holes

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 04:28 PM)
.500 by June first would mean that everything possible goes right for the White Sox

You're asking a ton of Gonzalez, Shields and Holland plus the bullpen.

The offense could be better if Abreu and Frazier get hot, Anderson and Melky hit, but Avi and catcher will likely be black holes

I actually think Liriano will play quite a bit in RF. I expect they to sign a Catcher, but yah, the production there will be bad, as it is on most teams.

Its a total what if game. Trading Q makes this pitching staff pretty bad, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's moved still. I expect Giolito and Lopez to be in the rotation by mid June regardless.

At the end of the day, I expect at least a few more subtractions from this team before all is said and done.

Edited by ChiSox59

The Mets “haven’t made a serious inquiry” about a trade for White Sox closer David Robertson this winter or at the last trade deadline, though New York hasn’t ruled out the possibility, Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News reports. Chicago would ask for Michael Conforto in any Robertson deal, however, so it could be hard for the two sides to settle on a deal. The White Sox weren’t looking for a big prospect return when they explored moving Robertson at the deadline, Ackert writes, though their current ask of Conforto reflects this offseason’s huge market for relief pitching.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 07:55 AM)
The Mets “haven’t made a serious inquiry” about a trade for White Sox closer David Robertson this winter or at the last trade deadline, though New York hasn’t ruled out the possibility, Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News reports. Chicago would ask for Michael Conforto in any Robertson deal, however, so it could be hard for the two sides to settle on a deal. The White Sox weren’t looking for a big prospect return when they explored moving Robertson at the deadline, Ackert writes, though their current ask of Conforto reflects this offseason’s huge market for relief pitching.

I don't see the Sox getting Conforto for Robertson. It would be great, but I would imagine the Mets would balk at that.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 08:07 AM)
If they're asking for Conforto from the Mets they are probably also asking for Robles from the Nats. I dont think anyone will buck up and pay those prices for Robertson's mediocrity.

Asking for Conforto lol. Always ask high, then negotiate.

I'd throw in something else w/ Robertson to close any deal for Conforto. I highly doubt the Mets would unload him. They want to unload Granderson or Bruce to open spots in the OF.

Looking at their team - they need more help than just a closer... they could really use an Abreu or Frazier with Frazier being the better fit to replace D. Wright/Reyes option they currently have. Maybe throwing in a Lawrie can tip the scales? I'd think not, but he can at least fill in across the infield as necessary and their team needs so help there.

How about:

Robertson +

either Frazier or Abreu

We get:

Conforto

And then one of their top 3-5 prospects --- Gavin Cecchini looks damn good.

That leans heavy to the Sox on return though if you're giving up Frazier. Probably more even with Abreu attached, but he is strictly a 1B only and Dominic Smith is probably about a year away and is the exact same -- 1B only.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 09:31 AM)
I'd throw in something else w/ Robertson to close any deal for Conforto. I highly doubt the Mets would unload him. They want to unload Granderson or Bruce to open spots in the OF.

Looking at their team - they need more help than just a closer... they could really use an Abreu or Frazier with Frazier being the better fit to replace D. Wright/Reyes option they currently have. Maybe throwing in a Lawrie can tip the scales? I'd think not, but he can at least fill in across the infield as necessary and their team needs so help there.

How about:

Robertson +

either Frazier or Abreu

We get:

Conforto

And then one of their top 3-5 prospects --- Gavin Cecchini looks damn good.

That leans heavy to the Sox on return though if you're giving up Frazier. Probably more even with Abreu attached, but he is strictly a 1B only and Dominic Smith is probably about a year away and is the exact same -- 1B only.

What about Abreu in a deal with Quintana to the Pirates?

The Mets are another team with a ridiculous amount of depth of talent.

I would also take Nimmo for Robertson.

I'd be interested in seeing what Wilmer Flores can do in a full season of AB's. He's still only 25 and put up a .788 OPS in part time duties last year.

TJ Rivera is also pretty interesting. Old for a prospect at this point (28), but has done nothing but hit his entire career thus far. Career .324/.371/.434 slash in over 2,400 minor league AB's. Finally got a small cup of coffee in the majors last year and hit .333/.345/.476 in 105 AB's. Position flexibility being able to play 4 IF spots too. I think he has the ceiling of an above average starting 2B and the floor of a quality UTL IF.

Couple of interesting catching prospects they could afford to lose in Tomas Nido and Patrick Mazeika too.

Unless a team comes out of nowhere to offer up a bounty for Robertson, I think the plan is to hope he put he's well and then deal him for a haul in July. Same goes for Jones. If those two stay healthy and pitch well, they should fetch some very nice returns in July.

That said, if the Mets offered Nimmo for Robertson I'd jump all over it.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 25, 2016 -> 12:01 PM)
Unless a team comes out of nowhere to offer up a bounty for Robertson, I think the plan is to hope he put he's well and then deal him for a haul in July. Same goes for Jones. If those two stay healthy and pitch well, they should fetch some very nice returns in July.

That said, if the Mets offered Nimmo for Robertson I'd jump all over it.

I don't think Jones and Robo are valued remotely close to one another by the Sox. I think the Sox would move Jones, but only for a Ken Giles top return including an elite prospect and at least 1 more top 100 type.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 26, 2016 -> 10:15 AM)
I don't think Jones and Robo are valued remotely close to one another by the Sox. I think the Sox would move Jones, but only for a Ken Giles top return including an elite prospect and at least 1 more top 100 type.

Bullpen help at the deadline comes at a huge cost. Better to wait and deal them mid season

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 26, 2016 -> 03:01 PM)
Bullpen help at the deadline comes at a huge cost. Better to wait and deal them mid season

Agreed!

Perhaps the most encouraging White Sox development this offseason has been the maturation of Rick Hahn as GM. Hahn is clearly one intelligent dude, but it seems he's learning to use his brains and resources and THEN let the market come to him. Don't chase. Don't telegraph. Don't be KW. His maturation is analogous to a toolsy, but undisciplined hitter who finally learns to swing mostly at pitches where he can do damage.

Robertson is a decent closer, who sometimes flashes brilliant, but when he's on he has value as a decent closer and a strong set-up guy. Jones has the velo everybody looks for, and when HE is on, he's got that knee-buckling slider too. Jones also has the Eaton-Quintana advantage (solid + player whose value slots up because of a great contract). Neither are Chapman or Miller, but both can have strong value at the trade deadline.

I have little doubt that various GMs - including Dombrowski and Rizzo -- haven't tried to deal for these guys and price them as throw-ins. They are anything but. I'm happy to see Hahn knows the value of his assets, prices them accordingly, and is showing he'll wheel and deal, but at a reasonable price.

(And BTW ... spare me the national press that Hahn fleeced Rizzo, or even Dombrowski. In both cases, he demanded very strong prospects for established valuable big leaguers. He found trade partners who were willing to pay a reasonable price, either because of team circumstances or otherwise. Just because many other GMs have begun serious prospect "over-huggers" does not mean GMs like Rizzo or Dombrowski are making horrible or poor deals. They're dipping into strength to purchase established strength. And that's the way it should be. Bravo Rick Hahn .. finally, and so far.)