White Sox sign Derek Holland

southsider2k5

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 11:46 AM)
I can't see the rangers putting a package together that wouldn't really hurt their mlb roster

Their farm took a hit with their deadline deal for lucroy and jeffress. Gallo can't hit, don't even talk about profar...

I don't see it working

I have little interest in a Ranger ML roster package anyway - Profar can't (or at least hasn't) hit and he has only 3 years of control; Odor is good, but he has 4. Mazarra came down to earth in the 2nd half. Gallo looks to be a flop. I assumed they had a bunch of good prospects, but apparently they don't.

I guess it's Astros and Rockies. I seem to recall the Rockies having a 3B prospect who was blocked by Arrenado...he may have backslid some. And they have a few top 50 guys.

Edited by GreenSox

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 11:54 AM)
You think the Sox will put that kind of value on a guy they had a chance to draft but didnt (and now has a torn ACL)? I dont know, maybe.

Absolutely. Definitely their best prospect in their system. I will agree however they dont have enough in the cupboard even with him and O'Neill.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 12:04 PM)
Up to $8 million for Holland of all people? Ugh. I was hoping it'd be half that.

That seems excessive. Did they look at his dismal peripherals? Hahn doesn't go down easy paying this money to these declining veterans - it's something he has to get out of his system before he starts building the team back up. It's no big deal this year, but it's not the way to fill holes on a winning team.

Edited by GreenSox

I have little interest in a Ranger ML roster package anyway - Profar can't (or at least hasn't) hit and he has only 3 years of control; Odor is good, but he has 4. Mazarra came down to earth in the 2nd half. Gallo looks to be a flop. I assumed they had a bunch of good prospects, but apparently they don't.

I guess it's Astros and Rockies. I seem to recall the Rockies having a 3B prospect who was blocked by Arrenado...he may have backslid some. And they have a few top 50 guys.

McMahon is the Rockies guy and yea, he's slid back.

I'm still really intrigued by Gallo. That kind of power in a LH bat to me deserves an extended look, especially since he's only 23 (just turned 23 too). If the Rangers are really giving up on him I would at least explore it, the price for him could be shockingly low.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 12:15 PM)
You care Mike...you care...

The payroll is going to be ridiculously low next year, so it's not that big of a deal right now. But like GreenSox said, Hahn can't add these expensive, declining veterans for millions when the team is competitive again. They could've signed a star like Cespedes last year with all the money they blew on scrubs.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)
I don't care. Obviously the Sox can afford it. I'm just saying that's a lot of money for a pitcher like him. That's all.

$8 million is the going rate for essentially a 1 WAR player. If Holland can give the Sox 150 innings of a 4.50 FIP he will easily be worth the money.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 12:11 PM)
McMahon is the Rockies guy and yea, he's slid back.

I'm still really intrigued by Gallo. That kind of power in a LH bat to me deserves an extended look, especially since he's only 23 (just turned 23 too). If the Rangers are really giving up on him I would at least explore it, the price for him could be shockingly low.

I have season tickets to the Express. Gallo is trash. The shift against him is ridiculous and he strikes out a ton. He's even a timid first baseman when there are close plays at the bag.

Some guys that I would like the team to sign are Greg Holland and Tyson Ross.

If the Sox sign them along with Derek Holland, they can flip them at the deadline and clean up assuming that they have productive years. Theo and Jed made a killing making these type of moves

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
I have season tickets to the Express. Gallo is trash. The shift against him is ridiculous and he strikes out a ton. He's even a timid first baseman when there are close plays at the bag.

Oh cool didnt know there was another person who got to see the Express on here. Yeah Gallo was awful.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)
Some guys that I would like the team to sign are Greg Holland and Tyson Ross.

If the Sox sign them along with Derek Holland, they can flip them at the deadline and clean up assuming that they have productive years. Theo and Jed made a killing making these type of moves

Sign those 2, along with Colby Rasmus (Melky or Garcia can DH).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 11:54 AM)
Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 9m9 minutes ago

The #WhiteSox sign Derek Holland to 1-year, $6 million contract with $1 million in performance bonuses. @scottmerkin 1st to say sides close

So just $1M in performance bounses, not $2M.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 12:17 PM)
The payroll is going to be ridiculously low next year, so it's not that big of a deal right now. But like GreenSox said, Hahn can't add these expensive, declining veterans for millions when the team is competitive again. They could've signed a star like Cespedes last year with all the money they blew on scrubs.

Dude, $8M is nothing. If you think that is expensive on the FA market, the Sox stand no chance of turning this thing around.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 12:17 PM)

Cespedes cost around $30 million for that season. The mess of one years signings cost the Sox no where near that much.