White Sox sign Derek Holland

southsider2k5

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you imagine a rotation that includes both Holland and Shields? Why not reacquire Jake Peavy and lose almost every game? Seriously if we get rid of Q and Robertson and have no starters and no relievers, lol on our record. Worst team in baseball history maybe?

Not even close...unless you trade Q, Robertson, Jones, Cabrera, Jennings, Petricka, Putnam and Lawrie before the deadline.

Even then, Moncada, Lopez and Giolito could all make huge impacts...along with Burdi and Fulmer.

Exactly. Not to mention the division looks pretty weak.

Edited by BRIRO2017

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 05:33 PM)
Why is this weird to me?

Usually when we sign a "Coopll fix em" guy someone asks the GM if Cooper had any say or input beforehand and everyone always says no, with the exception of Thornton where everyone said "Shut up Coop now you have him".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 03:49 PM)
Usually when we sign a "Coopll fix em" guy someone asks the GM if Cooper had any say or input beforehand and everyone always says no, with the exception of Thornton where everyone said "Shut up Coop now you have him".

Except for Zach Duke. Remember Coop going down to nashville with his fancy ipad?

Its just that...for a team that is rebuilding and not expected to really compete but still trying to court a less than mediocre FA with your manager and pitching coach is just weird. Best case scenario he does well and you trade him mid season right? Or are they actually thinking they are going to compete and think he can play a role?

I am probably reading too much into it, it just seemed odd to me to put that much energy into getting a guy like Holland at a time like this.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 04:27 PM)
Its just that...for a team that is rebuilding and not expected to really compete but still trying to court a less than mediocre FA with your manager and pitching coach is just weird. Best case scenario he does well and you trade him mid season right? Or are they actually thinking they are going to compete and think he can play a role?

I am probably reading too much into it, it just seemed odd to me to put that much energy into getting a guy like Holland at a time like this.

I think you are over thinking it. I mean coaches are still going to coach this year, even with no chance at winning anything. If they like Holland, and think they can turn him into something this year, why not recruit him? They could offer him a chance at reclamation, plus a shot at being traded to a contender if he succeeds. It is a win for both him and the Sox. Plus the Sox would like to keep their pitching at bay for another year if possible when it comes to some of these guys. They need SOMEONE in the rotation.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 04:35 PM)
I think you are over thinking it. I mean coaches are still going to coach this year, even with no chance at winning anything. If they like Holland, and think they can turn him into something this year, why not recruit him? They could offer him a chance at reclamation, plus a shot at being traded to a contender if he succeeds. It is a win for both him and the Sox. Plus the Sox would like to keep their pitching at bay for another year if possible when it comes to some of these guys. They need SOMEONE in the rotation.

I don't know if this was obvious to everyone else but I don't remember if we had really concluded it after it was announced:

I was listening to Garfein's podcast (I think) and their interview with Hahn he was talking to the offseason and (paraphrased)

I told people that they would know our direction based off of our first move and then people went "What does signing Liriano mean?". But part of this was the coaching staff shakeup and moving a player development guy in Capra down to 3b coach so we have more developers in our staff".

This was another moment where I felt my confidence in Hahn rising. Regardless if Capra is the top person for that job, this is what you WOULD do if you had a plan to acquire a bunch of young talent and needed to develop.

So yes, our coaches are going to try and make our players better, and will also try to make HOlland better.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 05:46 PM)
I don't know if this was obvious to everyone else but I don't remember if we had really concluded it after it was announced:

I was listening to Garfein's podcast (I think) and their interview with Hahn he was talking to the offseason and (paraphrased)

I told people that they would know our direction based off of our first move and then people went "What does signing Liriano mean?". But part of this was the coaching staff shakeup and moving a player development guy in Capra down to 3b coach so we have more developers in our staff".

This was another moment where I felt my confidence in Hahn rising. Regardless if Capra is the top person for that job, this is what you WOULD do if you had a plan to acquire a bunch of young talent and needed to develop.

So yes, our coaches are going to try and make our players better, and will also try to make HOlland better.

I just hope that we don't have to listen to any of his Harry Carry imitations like the one he did during the playoffs a few years ago. Talk about bad TV!!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 12:57 PM)
Cespedes cost around $30 million for that season. The mess of one years signings cost the Sox no where near that much.

Rick Hahn spent $17.5 million on the following: Morneau, Avila, Navarro, Jackson, Latos, Rollins. Let's add $5 mill for Shields and his ERA near 7 and we get $22.5 million. Desmond and Fowler each signed for $8 million.

The Sox can afford it, but $6 million seems way excessive for a pitcher with the production of Holland; and his peripherals were bad. And it is concerning for the future, as such contracts are routine out of Hahn and used in a way to "go for it". Yikes!

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
Rick Hahn spent $17.5 million on the following: Morneau, Avila, Navarro, Jackson, Latos, Rollins. Let's add $5 mill for Shields and his ERA near 7 and we get $22.5 million. Desmond and Fowler each signed for $8 million.

The Sox can afford it, but $6 million seems way excessive for a pitcher with the production of Holland; and his peripherals were bad. And it is concerning for the future, as such contracts are routine out of Hahn and used in a way to "go for it". Yikes!

But Andrew Cashner just signed a contract for 10 million. You want to check his peripherals?

You want to know what Ivan Nova's about to get?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)
$6 million is seriously nothing to get worked up about lol I don't understand some posters on here.

His point is well taken, as it was my own, when we were relying on bargain basement guys to play SERIOUS roles on a competitive team. But Fowler actually was a $13 mill contract, was clearly going back to cubs, and cost a 1st round pick. Desmond also cost a 1st round pick.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 10:49 AM)
His point is well taken, as it was my own, when we were relying on bargain basement guys to play SERIOUS roles on a competitive team. But Fowler actually was a $13 mill contract, was clearly going back to cubs, and cost a 1st round pick. Desmond also cost a 1st round pick.

I get what he's saying. This is a good move for a rebuilding team. But to get upset at this signing for this team is kinda ridiculous.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 10:49 AM)

But 1 year contracts; those lost picks were recouped one year later. And the Sox would have lost a 2nd round pick (or maybe the comp round pick -forget how it works), but recouped a comp round pick a year later.

I will admit that this year Hahn has an excuse to do a contract or 2 for a bad player and, on its own, it doesn't really matter; however it hasn't been restricted to tear down years; that's his modus opeandi in "go for it" years.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 04:13 PM)
But 1 year contracts; those lost picks were recouped one year later. And the Sox would have lost a 2nd round pick (or maybe the comp round pick -forget how it works), but recouped a comp round pick a year later.

I will admit that this year Hahn has an excuse to do a contract or 2 for a bad player and, on its own, it doesn't really matter; however it hasn't been restricted to tear down years; that's his modus opeandi in "go for it" years.

I just think that this is not a sign of business as usual. This is justified now when it was not last year.

The encouraging thing and all that we can hope for is interviews from Hostetler and Hahn of an organization moving toward a longer term view, a realistic assessment of their talent, and a psuh toward player development. This move makes plenty of sense toward that. This move a year ago would have been a compatible with competing. This move makes sense now, it did not make sense then. I think they were capable of doing a good job, I just don't think they were supported to do the right thing and were not talented enough to convince their bosses.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 04:40 PM)
I just think that this is not a sign of business as usual. This is justified now when it was not last year.

The encouraging thing and all that we can hope for is interviews from Hostetler and Hahn of an organization moving toward a longer term view, a realistic assessment of their talent, and a psuh toward player development. This move makes plenty of sense toward that. This move a year ago would have been a compatible with competing. This move makes sense now, it did not make sense then. I think they were capable of doing a good job,I just don't think they were supported to do the right thing and were not talented enough to convince their bosses.

But Hahn is the master of negotiation...and what more education can he have? Law degree, MBA and ?