Teams have upped their offers in Q derby in the last week

Al Lopez's Ghost

Any pitcher, no matter where he is ranked, carries more risk than a position player would because of potential arm injury. That could explain why owners would be reticent to part with a premier position player prospect(s) for Q. IMO..

Imagine if Sale blows out his arm after two or three starts..

Edited by miracleon35th

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Feb 18, 2017 -> 02:51 PM)
Any pitcher, no matter where he is ranked, carries more risk than a position player would because of potential arm injury. That could explain why owners would be reticent to part with a premier position player prospect(s) for Q. IMO..

Imagine if Sale blows out his arm after two or three starts..

Yes, and imagine if one of these prospective teams opts to spend $100 Million on a comparable pitcher, through free agency. The fact that Q is so affordable greatly mitigates the very risk, to which you allude.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 18, 2017 -> 04:21 PM)
Yes, and imagine if one of these prospective teams opts to spend $100 Million on a comparable pitcher, through free agency. The fact that Q is so affordable greatly mitigates the very risk, to which you allude.

I'm all for making that argument to whoever the Owner was that vetoed the prospective trade ! Hahn mentioned (in the interview with Chuck Garfein at CSN) that the return package in that proposed deal was constructed similar to the deal for Sale. We can't be sure exactly what he meant, but it sounds like it may have been a deal that was centered around a very highly rated prospect. That is also the impression I git from his other comments in that interview.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Feb 18, 2017 -> 08:22 PM)
I'm all for making that argument to whoever the Owner was that vetoed the prospective trade ! Hahn mentioned (in the interview with Chuck Garfein at CSN) that the return package in that proposed deal was constructed similar to the deal for Sale. We can't be sure exactly what he meant, but it sounds like it may have been a deal that was centered around a very highly rated prospect. That is also the impression I git from his other comments in that interview.

But if the other teams backed out, should Hahn have asked for a lesser deal? Because using your rationale, the risk of Q having an arm injury is now with the White Sox

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 18, 2017 -> 07:45 PM)
But if the other teams backed out, should Hahn have asked for a lesser deal? Because using your rationale, the risk of Q having an arm injury is now with the White Sox

I agree that is important for both sides to assess the risk of arm injury in deciding on a deal for a premier pitcher. However, considering Quintana's durability, I for one , would rather take the risk of holding Q until an acceptable deal, like the one Hahn was working on, comes along. This is something that can always be second guessed, especially in hindsight (i.e., trading away Buehrle and signing Danks),

Q has clean mechanics with a low effort delivery and has shown to be durable over the last four years. I don't get the injury paranoia. I'm more concerned with Giolito's surgically repaired elbow and Kopech trying to throw the s*** out of every pitch ( according to Cooper ).

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Feb 18, 2017 -> 07:22 PM)

It had to be the Pirates and Yankees three way trade. Yankees ownership backed out last minute on Xmas Eve.

I'll bet it was something like:

Pirates get Quintana

Yankees get Cutch

Sox get Glasnow + Frazier + significantly more

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 20, 2017 -> 09:14 AM)
It had to be the Pirates and Yankees three way trade. Yankees ownership backed out last minute on Xmas Eve.

I'll bet it was something like:

Pirates get Quintana

Yankees get Cutch

Sox get Glasnow + Frazier + significantly more

What a terrible deal for the Yankees. Who knows how close this even was. Who knows, a deal that fell through last minute could potentially be another one we never heard rumors of.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Feb 20, 2017 -> 07:46 AM)
Hahn was on hotstove this morning. Was asked about Quintana. Says they have an open mind about trading but not going to compromise. Said to still having dialogue with other teams

screen-shot-2016-02-01-at-2-45-40-pm.jpg

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Feb 16, 2017 -> 04:16 PM)
Still no deal. Bruce Levine full of s*** again. I expect Q to be moved by the deadline along with DRob, Frazier, Melky.

I could see many scenarios where Q doesn't get dealt. Say the pieces we got back this off-season start to contribute right away, I could absolutely see a scenario where the Sox keep Q and try to retool faster then we think (whether it via free agency money or something else). I don't see it as a foregone conclusion that Q is dealt.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 20, 2017 -> 11:56 AM)
At this point, you have to assume Q is here. The window has closed on this deal until at least June.

That is not the end of the world, especially if the right deal has not presented itself

If the team is doing better than expected, having Quintana on the roster won't hurt

He could easily be the most valuable starter on the block at the deadline

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 20, 2017 -> 11:56 AM)
At this point, you have to assume Q is here. The window has closed on this deal until at least June.

Most likely. Unless a would be contender gets a major injury during spring training or the WBC.

QUOTE (Soha @ Feb 20, 2017 -> 12:11 PM)
Most likely. Unless a would be contender gets a major injury during spring training or the WBC.

Since we are out of real rumblings to discuss, imagine a player like Lester goes down in spring training with a significant injury. Would the Cubs get seriously involved with a major rotation hole in the middle of their contention window and Arrieta about to depart in free agency? Crazier things could happen

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 20, 2017 -> 12:52 PM)
I could see many scenarios where Q doesn't get dealt. Say the pieces we got back this off-season start to contribute right away, I could absolutely see a scenario where the Sox keep Q and try to retool faster then we think (whether it via free agency money or something else). I don't see it as a foregone conclusion that Q is dealt.

If that really happened and our young core took off, then I would be alright with it. Quintana, Rodon, Fulmer, Giolito, Lopez, Kopech, Hansen. LOADED.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
If that really happened and our young core took off, then I would be alright with it. Quintana, Rodon, Fulmer, Giolito, Lopez, Kopech, Hansen. LOADED.

What young core? Sure they are pretty deep with pitching. I still see a really thin system positionally. No? Basabe is nowhere near ready. Other than Collins and possibly Moncada coming up what young core are we speaking of?

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 12:58 PM)
What young core? Sure they are pretty deep with pitching. I still see a really thin system positionally. No? Basabe is nowhere near ready. Other than Collins and possibly Moncada coming up what young core are we speaking of?

Right now we do not have much of a young position player "core" beyond Moncada, Collins, Basabe and Anderson

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 01:58 PM)

How could you forget the Glassman Charlie Tilton???