David Price Reports are Surgery NOT needed..

NCsoxfan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)
Interesting. Thanks for the insight. Regardless, everything coming from Boston's camp makes this seem ominous. I have always liked Price and I wish him the best here.

The fact that they went to Andrews after an MRI suggests they either think or know something is very wrong IMO.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 01:33 PM)
I would probably take Devers and their 4 next best prospects. Probably a pipe dream, but I'd do it.

I don't know about that. Devers and Groome are each top 20ish prospects. That's a pretty solid base right there, with a couple lesser pieces added in.

Given where Price is in his career and competitive window of the Red Sox, it would be super interesting if he were to try out the surgery that Seth Maniss just tried (though his UCL may just be better to replace anyway.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)
Interesting. Thanks for the insight. Regardless, everything coming from Boston's camp makes this seem ominous. I have always liked Price and I wish him the best here.

Most definitely. Odds are what happened was that the Boston physician didn't like what he found during his exam. Really didn't like what they saw on the MRI. Then sent him to andrews to confirm the amount of laxity and joint integrity. It's not a full tear but losse enough that they aren't sure what to do. If it was a full tear that would be easy to see.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 02:40 PM)
Remember, this is the 1st of many injuries that will happen over the course of 3-4 months before the deadline.

A ton can change, and the Sox are sitting on one of the best SP's on the market.

Patience may pay off.

This post could be the biggest jinx I've ever seen.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 02:38 PM)
Given where Price is in his career and competitive window of the Red Sox, it would be super interesting if he were to try out the surgery that Seth Maniss just tried (though his UCL may just be better to replace anyway.

It will depend on the extent of the laxity and where the tear is (if there is one). The new procedure is a "tightening" of a lax ligament and a support if the tear is near one of the ligament insertions. If the ligament is too lax or the tear is in the mid-substance of the ligament, the repair can't be done and they need to do the Tommy john reconstruction.

This is similar to the two different meniscus surgeries Derrick Rose had. In one case the tear could be repaired due to the conditions. In the other they had to do the menisectomy.

It just depends on what they find when they go in for the surgery.

At this point, I think any teams that lose pitchers are likely to go with internal options rather than make a big splash - at least for the first couple months. Boston seems a very unlikely suitor for Q, I would think. They have Price under contract for a long time and their depth is pretty decent.

Edited by daggins

The Yankees should make a move now, and get a head start on the now flawed RedSox by taking the only #1 level pitcher on the market right now. I think they have a pretty good team as it is. They have quality in the low minors which should appeal to the Sox on currrent timeline.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 07:51 AM)
The Yankees should make a move now, and get a head start on the now flawed RedSox by taking the only #1 level pitcher on the market right now. I think they have a pretty good team as it is. They have quality in the low minors which should appeal to the Sox on currrent timeline.

Toughest thing about Price potentially going down is the sheer number of innings he gave the Red Sox. It's not easy to replace a guy who pitched 230 innings for you last season, even with internal options.

Losing that workhorse hurts a ton if he misses any significant time

I highly doubt they would get into the mix for Quintana. It would raid the rest of an already weakened farm system

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 08:09 AM)
Toughest thing about Price potentially going down is the sheer number of innings he gave the Red Sox. It's not easy to replace a guy who pitched 230 innings for you last season, even with internal options.

Losing that workhorse hurts a ton if he misses any significant time

I highly doubt they would get into the mix for Quintana. It would raid the rest of an already weakened farm system

I would prefer the Sox not do a big trade with the Red Sox. We would have an overload of prospects from one farm system. How do the stock market guys put it when there's a lack of diversification - systematic risk or something like that? I'd rather pick through a different farm system.

And I know that each individual prospect is individual evaluated. Still they have the same training the same development regimens- a little diversification would spread the risk, imo.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 07:51 AM)

This is actually a really good point - other teams might see the loss of Price as a time to further strengthen themselves when the opponent is weak. Maybe not right away, but if the Yankees are in the lead in the AL East in June, it might be easier for them to justify trading some prospects for Quintana and/or Frazier. As we all have mentioned before, trading for Q is a win-now move but also a build for the future move.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 08:16 AM)
I would prefer the Sox not do a big trade with the Red Sox. We would have an overload of prospects from one farm system. How do the stock market guys put it when there's a lack of diversification - systematic risk or something like that? I'd rather pick through a different farm system.

And I know that each individual prospect is individual evaluated. Still they have the same training the same development regimens- a little diversification would spread the risk, imo.

Boston does seem to have a pretty good track record of top prospects panning out though.

The clock is ticking Bruce Levine. March 10th is one week from today. Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock...

Not expecting Boston to come calling for Q. It would be a better idea to give their depth a chance to step up and re-evaluate their rotation in June. Wouldn't be surprised if sports writers come out with articles about how the Yanks should increase their level of interest for Q.