Predict the 2017 Opening Day Roster

Bob Sacamano

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 05:30 PM)
The White Sox should reprimand all scouts who had any say in acquiring Shields. As cheap as the Sox are, they sure throw away a lot of money due to bad decisions.

Then why not let you pitch or Fathom or Caulfield? Just sign some independent league guys to make sure we lose. I can't imagine anybody with a brain paying money to go to any game Shields pitches at the Cell. Same with Holland for that matter. Why would you pay good money to see those stiffs pitch??

I can't believe those of you who love the draft trust our front office to draft impact player(s). There have been so many busts in the past or guys not worthy of being a No. 1 pick. Just look at the Sox history.

The scouts who recommended Shields should be fired/ not reprimanded. They're probably the same scouts who recommended signing LaRoche and Keppinger. I've always found it interesting that the team acquired these 3 players and spent and wasted millions of dollars on them. But yet JR won't spend big money on a premier free agent like Cespedes. Their evaluations of players has been horrendous. The teams scouts can't seem to draft every day players and they recommend signing free agents who haven't produced.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To start the season I'm thinking something like this.

Rotation: Q, Rodon, Gonzalez, Holland, Shields

Pen: Robertson, Jones, Jennings, Petricka, Putnam, Soto and Covey as the long man.

Lineup:

LF- Melky

CF- May (RHP) Bourjos (LHP)

RF- Asche (RHP) Avi (LHP)

DH- Abreu (RHP)

1B- Delmonico (RHP) Abreu (LHP)

2B- Saladino (can backup Frazier at 3B )

3B- Frazier

SS- Anderson

C - Narvaez/Soto

This leaves one spot open on the bench so I'd go with Yolmer at this point.

I think May makes the team thanks to Tilson's inability to stay healthy and Delmonico makes it due to a nice ST and his LHB.

That's my take for now but could/probably will change as we move closer to the end of ST. Thank goodness baseball is back.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 09:42 PM)

Pen: Robertson, Jones, Jennings, Petricka, Putnam, Soto and Covey as the long man.

Lineup:

LF- Melky

DH- Abreu (RHP)

3B- Frazier

SS- Anderson

C - Narvaez/Soto

I think May makes the team thanks to Tilson's inability to stay healthy and Delmonico makes it due to a nice ST and his LHB.

That's my take for now but could/probably will change as we move closer to the end of ST. Thank goodness baseball is back.

That's a pretty damn brutal defensive lineup. Will def help the tank brigade but not the pitching.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 08:42 PM)

Lineup:

LF- Melky

DH- Abreu (RHP)

3B- Frazier

SS- Anderson

C - Narvaez/Soto

Davidson is a roster lock.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 05:30 PM)
The White Sox should reprimand all scouts who had any say in acquiring Shields. As cheap as the Sox are, they sure throw away a lot of money due to bad decisions.

Then why not let you pitch or Fathom or Caulfield? Just sign some independent league guys to make sure we lose. I can't imagine anybody with a brain paying money to go to any game Shields pitches at the Cell. Same with Holland for that matter. Why would you pay good money to see those stiffs pitch??

I can't believe those of you who love the draft trust our front office to draft impact player(s). There have been so many busts in the past or guys not worthy of being a No. 1 pick. Just look at the Sox history.

Cause of the MLB union / Holland might gain some value back

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 09:49 PM)
That's a pretty damn brutal defensive lineup. Will def help the tank brigade but not the pitching.

Agreed, it really is bad. That's the problem with choosing from the likes of Avi, Melky, Asche, Leury, Liriano and W.Garcia, bad defense. Engel, May, Tilson and Bourjos can play defense but their bats leaves plenty to be desired. On a rebuilding team, I'd go defense first and put Melky at DH. I'm usually against pushing players but Engel plays plus CF defense, has been in the minors for 3.5 years and is 25 years old so throw his ass in CF and hope for the best. Let Tilson and May duel it out for LF where their popcorn throwing arms are better suited and stick Bourjos in RF. That leaves one of Tilson/May as the 4th outfielder and take your pick for the fifth outfielder, Leury?

No matter what, the outfield choices just aren't good. If Sox fans aren't praying for an OF'r or two in or Q trade, they really should be. The next crop of outfielders (Basabe/Call/Fisher) are a few years away so what we currently see in ST is what we're going to see over the next few years unless we add more OF depth via trade or free agency.

To be honest, the lack of quality OF depth on the Sox and at Charlotte is kinda killing my Re-build buzz. Not cool.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 01:03 AM)
Where does he play?

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 05:47 AM)
I don't think that's true at all. He might have a decent shot of making the team but I don't think he's a lock by any means.

DH, 3B, & 1B. Like it or not, he's probably making the team because he's out of options. The Sox will likely do whatever it takes to preserve depth, so guys like him, Sanchez, L. Garcia, Ynoa, etc. will get first cracks at spots, although I'd expect Davidson to get a very short leash. Delmonico is a similar player positionally (weaker at 3B though), but has a left-handed and projects as the better hitter in the the majors IMO. I'm not Davidson believer by any means, but I think we're better off giving him a two month addition and allowing Delmonico a bit more time in AAA. Of all the fringe, near major league ready prospects in the system, Delmonico is the one guy who I think has a real chance at developing into more than just a bench piece and I see no reason to rush him at the moment.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 06:23 AM)
Who do you think beats him out?

Actually, I think they'll likely keep one of Garcia/Sanchez instead of both so I'll put him on. Hahn did specifially mention more playing time for him, Saladino and Sanchez after the Lawrie release.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 06:34 AM)
Actually, I think they'll likely keep one of Garcia/Sanchez instead of both so I'll put him on. Hahn did specifially mention more playing time for him, Saladino and Sanchez after the Lawrie release.

Honestly, I think there is room for all three. Right now, it seems like our bench will likely be Sanchez, Bourjos, L. Garcia, & Davidson. I just don't see who could beat out these guys. Liriano & Asche are the only real threats IMO and I think they'd need to have huge spring trainings to overtake them. Hayes is the only other possibility, but he can start 2017 in AAA, so why not give Davidson an extended look in the majors being discarding him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 07:31 AM)
Honestly, I think there is room for all three. Right now, it seems like our bench will likely be Sanchez, Bourjos, L. Garcia, & Davidson. I just don't see who could beat out these guys. Liriano & Asche are the only real threats IMO and I think they'd need to have huge spring trainings to overtake them. Hayes is the only other possibility, but he can start 2017 in AAA, so why not give Davidson an extended look in the majors being discarding him.

I'd love to see Liriano win a spot over any of those guys. He was a top 100 prospect not too long ago and is still quite young. I think he has more potential than the rest of the options.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 09:57 AM)
Vs RHP:

1. Anderson SS

2. Tilson CF

3. Abreu 1B

4. Cabrera LF

5. Frazier 3B

Vs LHP:

1. Anderson SS

2. Tilson CF

3. Abreu 1B

4. Cabrera LF

5. Frazier 3B

Great topic while we all wait for Opening Day.

I think that Anderson, given his abolute hatred of taking walks and taking pitches, is not (yet) the right man to lead the offense. I hope that one day he will be, but right NOW, I would hope that Renteria can read numbers & scouting reports better than Ventura.

The said, (assuming that he gets over being a China Doll) Tilson has shown an ability to walk & take pitches. For me, he'd be my Leadoff Man, at least, vs RHP. Vs. LHP, id try Anderson there, but give him a short leash. Whichever one is not leading off on a particular day can bat low in the lineup, or grab some bench for a day.

For the rest of the top half of the lineup, my goal early in this season is to MAX what our tradeable pieces can be. So, Id probably put Cabrera 2nd in the lineup on most days, with Abreu or Frazier to follow, depending on which one matches up best vs the opponent, &/or whichever on is on good form.

Once Melky & Frazier are gone, if they want to bat Anderson & Tilson atop the lineup everyday, go right ahead. But beforehand, Cabrera/Frazier need to have as many chances to inflate their numbers, so that they can return useable pieces in trade.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 07:31 AM)

That bench is missing whoever isn't starting behind the dish that day (Soto/Narvaez). Also gotta factor in who may be DHing (could be Davidson).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 08:07 AM)
I'd love to see Liriano win a spot over any of those guys. He was a top 100 prospect not too long ago and is still quite young. I think he has more potential than the rest of the options.

He probably has the most potential, but I'd rather try and sneak him through to AAA if he's not going to get enough playing time. And right now, it seems like Tilson & Avi will have CF & RF locked up for the first couple months (if healthy). Given he is having a tough spring and is coming off some concussion issues, he'd probably benfit from some regular playing time down in Charlotte and potentially be a call up closer to June or July depending on how the OF is shaping out.

Haven't read a post of this thread so this may be redundant but:

C: Narvaez/Smith

1B: Abreu

2B: Saladino/Sanchez

3B: Frazier

SS: Anderson

LF: Cabrera

CF: Tilson/L. Garcia

RF: A. Garcia

DH: Davidson/Hayes (RH/LH platoon, because I had 24 players and needed another)

SP: Quintana, Rodon, Shields, Gonzalez, Holland

RP: Robertson, Jones, Jennings, Ynoa, Putnam, Petricka, Burdi

Edited by Jose Abreu