2017 Cubs Catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am as big of a Schwarber fan that is also a Sox fan that you will find but I dont think putting him down there in the time that they did is going to change much of his outcomes in the big leagues. He needed a longer mental break IMO. That was the whole point of sending him down I thought. Did they really want him to just work on mechanics and have his minor league production to be the indicator of when to bring him back up? I knew he would hit minor league pitching immediately.

I was at Wrigley today, that was pretty funny to watch.

Hadn't been in two years, crazy to see how much construction has been done, it already looks unrecognizable if you're not looking at the stadium. I assume the Ricketts are involved in all of it, so much $$$. Fenway West.

And the men's bathroom was actually clean, I took my daughter in there and I felt OK about it. That was the biggest change.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 08:08 AM)
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-c...michael-fulmer/

Didn't see this posted here but if this was a 1 for 1 offer,what a joke.

I still think Schwarber will become a very useful player, but ultimately he'll end being a non-elite DH and that's not worth a quality young starter. Theo really botched this IMO. He should have traded for a young cost-controlled starter a long time ago as it was clear his rotation's performance was unsustainable. Now several of his core assets have lost a lot of value. If he was proactive, he could have gotten something pretty damn good by packaging some combination of Baez, Schwarber, & Soler (and change). Now he'll have to give up Happ or Jimenez plus several other pieces to land a desperately needed starter.

Figured I'd post this in the Cub thread. ...

So the Cubs acquire Q. I actually believe I posted a while back, if not I certainly thought it, that the Cubs actually could really use Q this season. Bear with me on this. They are having a fairly rotten first half, but are only a couple games behind a Brewers team not ready for prime time. The Cubs may be a bit worn down after playing all those games last year, but they certainly need a jolt to wake up what after last season was deemed a potential dynasty.

Now if Q builds on that recent 10-strikeout outing and is effective, he could really ignite that team and get its act together to storm past a pretender Milwaukee team and stay ahead of a not-so-great Cardinals team.

My question is ... if Q is excellent and is one of the reasons they wake up and win their division and win the WS again, does that make this trade rather dumb on the Sox part? I mean in helping the Cubs win another title? I realize the guy the Sox got could be a legendary hitter for the Sox someday (oops is his agent Boras too?). But, IF this propels the Cubs to a repeat title and the fact the Cubs own the city already, would that make this trade ill advised?

Remember, a Cubs repeat title would again bury the Sox in terms of local and national attention and make them an afterthought compared to the darling Cubs.

So IF this helps the Cubs win the crown, will u be quite upset with Hahn or not?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:01 AM)
Figured I'd post this in the Cub thread. ...

So the Cubs acquire Q. I actually believe I posted a while back, if not I certainly thought it, that the Cubs actually could really use Q this season. Bear with me on this. They are having a fairly rotten first half, but are only a couple games behind a Brewers team not ready for prime time. The Cubs may be a bit worn down after playing all those games last year, but they certainly need a jolt to wake up what after last season was deemed a potential dynasty.

Now if Q builds on that recent 10-strikeout outing and is effective, he could really ignite that team and get its act together to storm past a pretender Milwaukee team and stay ahead of a not-so-great Cardinals team.

My question is ... if Q is excellent and is one of the reasons they wake up and win their division and win the WS again, does that make this trade rather dumb on the Sox part? I mean in helping the Cubs win another title? I realize the guy the Sox got could be a legendary hitter for the Sox someday (oops is his agent Boras too?). But, IF this propels the Cubs to a repeat title and the fact the Cubs own the city already, would that make this trade ill advised?

Remember, a Cubs repeat title would again bury the Sox in terms of local and national attention and make them an afterthought compared to the darling Cubs.

So IF this helps the Cubs win the crown, will u be quite upset with Hahn or not?

No. I wanted Rick Hahn to get the best value for Quintana and continue to bolster the quality and quantity of the farm system. If 1-2 of the players the Sox received in return prove to be formidable major league players within the next 2-3 years, I couldn't care less. Also, it makes no sense to limit your options for trading partners, especially when there are only 29 total candidates. The more business relationships you have, the more successful your organization will be. That goes for baseball and beyond.

I believe Rick Hahn saw an opportunity to get a team to overpay compared to the other offers out there. The concern over the Brewers stepping into the Quintana talks motivated Epstein to deliver the best offer. I think it was a smart move for the Sox today. It will just take longer to see if it proves fruitful for the Sox, no matter what the Cubs and Quintana do in the short term.