2017 Cubs Catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cubs are 1-0 with Quintana. The Brewers blew a lot of their mo-jo by losing the trade battle for Q to the Cubs. Sometimes a trade has an immediate positive effect on a contender. We shall see.

Addendum: Milwaukee also had the bats going tonight and won, putting a little dent in my theory. Milwaukee is also 1-0 since Q went to its rival.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 01:24 PM)
Q looking very sharp.

Wilson Contreras really heating up for the Cubs.

Yup, his fastball's sitting 93-95, which is where he was sitting last year when he was pitching really well early in the year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 04:17 PM)
The idea of Q on a team that can play defense and where he doesn't have to worry that if he gives up 2 runs, one of them unearned on a ground ball, he will lose...my goodness that's terrifying.

Yeah, the defense upgrade plus facing 2 easy pitcher outs helping cut down on pitch counts are big.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 04:21 PM)
Yeah, the defense upgrade plus facing 2 easy pitcher outs helping cut down on pitch counts are big.

Don't miss the 3rd one I mentioned - Run Support. He got 6 runs scored for him today. He no longer has to worry that every pitch must be perfect.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 05:05 PM)
Don't miss the 3rd one I mentioned - Run Support. He got 6 runs scored for him today. He no longer has to worry that every pitch must be perfect.

Cause the Cubs had scored all of 16 more runs than the Sox this year. So much run support...

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 08:49 PM)
Cause the Cubs had scored all of 16 more runs than the Sox this year. So much run support...

I can't find where this is calculated on a public page, but he's got the worst run support of any pitcher in MLB since 2013. Until the Blue Jays game, he had the worst run support in baseball this year. It's not even about the averages, although the White Sox's offense has been bad. For him...it's been "Amazingly" bad. Like "something really weird and 9 sigma outside the margin of error so not statistically random" happened when he was on the mound.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 09:37 PM)
I can't find where this is calculated on a public page, but he's got the worst run support of any pitcher in MLB since 2013. Until the Blue Jays game, he had the worst run support in baseball this year. It's not even about the averages, although the White Sox's offense has been bad. For him...it's been "Amazingly" bad. Like "something really weird and 9 sigma outside the margin of error so not statistically random" happened when he was on the mound.

Still waiting for evidence why it would improve with a different team with a similar offense.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 16, 2017 -> 08:10 PM)
Still waiting for evidence why it would improve with a different team with a similar offense.

Let's just say that the Cubs have better offensive players who have under performed this year and if they play up to their capabilities they SHOULD be better.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 11:42 AM)
the headfirst slide claims another victim, Kris Bryant left the game with a hand injury after trying to steal third

First Correa and now this. My fantasy juggernaught squad is going downhill fast.

Nobody cares

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 05:01 AM)
They signed Feliz in the offseason but that didn't work out very well. Wasn't he a top 10 prospect at one point?

Neftali? Yes, he was a big prospect. I think there were hopes he would be a starter though.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 11:42 AM)
the headfirst slide claims another victim, Kris Bryant left the game with a hand injury after trying to steal third

M&H had someone on (missed the beginning of the interview) saying "He feels like he slides faster head first". I don't know if that's true, but isn't there more drag sliding head first?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 07:20 AM)
Neftali? Yes, he was a big prospect. I think there were hopes he would be a starter though.

It's interesting to look back at his career now. He's played in 9 MLB seasons and made $21+ million, so he isn't a bust. But I'm sure Rangers fans had much higher hopes for him back when he first was called up.

It's something to think about with all the young arms the Sox have added.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 09:02 AM)
M&H had someone on (missed the beginning of the interview) saying "He feels like he slides faster head first". I don't know if that's true, but isn't there more drag sliding head first?

I googled it a little bit but there doesn't appear to be conclusive evidence as to which way is faster. I supposed it "feels" faster because you are already leaning forward a little when you run and it's more natural than having to completely shift your body around to slide feet first.

Overall, I think it really depends on the situation. Sometimes it's not so much about getting there faster, it's more about avoiding the tag or disrupting the throw to break up a double play.

But I think it's pretty well known that sliding head first is much more dangerous.