Cody Asche

Greg Hibbard

Yea I know Moncada won't do it... but if he would try to play the outfield in the minors and it worked out, that would help the team more than he could as a second basemen. That would replace Jacob May with Moncada in the line-up and leave Salad in the line-up instead of putting him on the bench when Moncada comes up.

Then send Yolmar to the minors or lose Asche or Leury and bring up a LH bat to platoon with Davidson at DH..,,Delmonico, Hayes or Rayburn.

IMO, both Moncada and Delmonico would behoove themselves and the Sox if they put an outfield glove on down in the minors to see if they can handle it out there.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 05:08 PM)
Yea I know Moncada won't do it... but if he would try to play the outfield in the minors and it worked out, that would help the team more than he could as a second basemen. That would replace Jacob May with Moncada in the line-up and leave Salad in the line-up instead of putting him on the bench when Moncada comes up.

Then send Yolmar to the minors or lose Asche or Leury and bring up a LH bat to platoon with Davidson at DH..,,Delmonico, Hayes or Rayburn.

IMO, both Moncada and Delmonico would behoove themselves and the Sox if they put an outfield glove on down in the minors to see if they can handle it out there.

You are saying Moncada and Delmonico should do this. I think you mean to say Hahn and Hostetler and Grudzielanek and whoever else should have them do it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 03:46 PM)
People keep making posts like this, as if there is someone who is there someone who has a future or some skill that isn't playing. It is just complaining to complain. Even as someone who is about as pessimistic as you can get about what we have done to this point, even I can realize that you are pushing a boulder up Mt Everest here.

How do you know there isn't? This guy has 1200 at bats that prove he can't hit. Sox have a bunch of guys raking in AAA who haven't had that chance. Why give the chances to the guy they know can't play?

The pessimism resides with those who believe that Asche is the best the Sox have, this side of Moncada. Don't lump me with you pessimists, please.

My pessimism resides, not with the players, but with a front office that has shown over the years that talent evaluation isn't exactly their forte.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 05:27 PM)
How do you know there isn't? This guy has 1200 at bats that prove he can't hit. Sox have a bunch of guys raking in AAA who haven't had that chance. Why give the chances to the guy they know can't play?

The pessimism resides with those who believe that Asche is the best the Sox have, this side of Moncada. Don't lump me with you pessimists, please.

My pessimism resides, not with the players, but with a front office that has shown over the years that talent evaluation isn't exactly their forte.

Who? Tell me who. Who is this miracle player we have that has the ability to step in and be better than Asche?

The easiest way to put this is that Asche has done more at the major league level, than the rest of our minor leaguers have done at the minor league level.

The bolded is the answer to your own question. The Sox organization knows that the guys they have either can't play, or they don't want to start their clocks in order to save another year of service. They aren't going to give chances to guys who can't even play at the minor league level, let alone at the major league level. The fact that these posts are being made with glittering generalities, and not real names tells me that there is literally no one who fits the description of what you are asking for.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 05:27 PM)

Like who?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 04:19 PM)
Do. Not. Mess. With. Moncada. Jerking him around is the last thing we need.

I don't see how simply asking Moncada to log a few games in the outfield in the minors to see if he could handle it would be jerking him around. Moncada's speed might be a bigger asset to the team at that position than it is at second base.

I don't like the idea that any player, even a highly regarded young prospect, dictates where he wants to play to the team.

I bet Saladino would try to play Center if the Sox asked him, especially if he had a shot to start out there. He has already offered to be the emergency catcher. That is the attitude that you have to admire in a player, a desire to do whatever will help the team the most.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 05:32 PM)
Who? Tell me who. Who is this miracle player we have that has the ability to step in and be better than Asche?

The easiest way to put this is that Asche has done more at the major league level, than the rest of our minor leaguers have done at the minor league level.

The bolded is the answer to your own question. The Sox organization knows that the guys they have either can't play, or they don't want to start their clocks in order to save another year of service. They aren't going to give chances to guys who can't even play at the minor league level, let alone at the major league level. The fact that these posts are being made with glittering generalities, and not real names tells me that there is literally no one who fits the description of what you are asking for.

Delmonico and Hayes would be the guys, but they'll get their turn. I'm in no hurry to discard Asche, but he will need to produce a bit or they'll just cut bait in a few weeks.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 05:54 PM)
Delmonico and Hayes would be the guys, but they'll get their turn. I'm in no hurry to discard Asche, but he will need to produce a bit or they'll just cut bait in a few weeks.

Check Cody Asche's minor league numbers vs. Nicky Delmonico. Delmonico needs more time at AAA. What ever happened to rushing prospects is a bad thing?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 11:59 PM)
Check Cody Asche's minor league numbers vs. Nicky Delmonico. Delmonico needs more time at AAA. What ever happened to rushing prospects is a bad thing?

Yep Delmonico showed nothing in AAA last year to suggest he was ready to start in the majors. No harm seeing him get some at bats in Charlotte and work on his defensive flexibility

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 01:56 PM)
Bring up Delmonico or Hayes and send down a pitcher or send Jacob May to the minors.

Even with Asche platooning in RF with Avi, Delmonico could DH against RH starting pitchers or pinch hit.

Too early. Both Delmonico and Hayes were .250ish hitters in a half season of AAA last year. It makes more sense to let them play full-time in AAA and see if they have improved before calling them up later in the summer.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 05:59 PM)

Hence why I said he'll get his turn, but it's gonna be a month or two minimum.

The first rule of rebuilding is you don't rush legit prospects. Let them finish their development in the minors and/or accrue an extra year of team control. Therefore, a guy like Asche makes perfect sense as a fill-in. He can platoon at DH with Davidson until one of them shows they deserve everyday at-bats or until a better option presents itself. My guess is in two months or so we will see Hayes up here and given a shot at DH, but until then the b****ing about Asche really needs to stop. No one should have expected proven veterans or quality prospects at every position during the first few months of a rebuild. This s*** is going to take some time.

I really don't get this.

A guy like Asche has shown you literally everything he is going to do at the major league level.

I'm going to continue to ask this question until I get an answer

"What is the upside"?

If the total upside truly is a AAAA player or a replacement level player who has average ML stats and terrible stats compared to every other DH in baseball,

then literally any DFA replacement player from last season who can swing a bat would have been just as good, right?

So why a contact hitter with no pop at Guaranteed Rate Field?

Can someone explain that one to me?

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 10:28 PM)
It's not like the Sox were stuck with this guy

The went out and got this guy. This guy specifically.

They went out and got this guy for free. That's the key here. And they signed him to most likely be a bench piece. Right now he's in the DH mix, but if Davidson continues to show anything, Asche will get less and less playing. I guess I don't really get why cares this much about a guy who is meant to be a backup.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/pro...sp?P=cody-asche

681 career OPS in nearly 1200 MLB at-bats.

If he could approach his minor league average of 794, he might be close to a split/platoon DH, but anything sub 750 isn't going to come close to an "average" DH/RF/LF in the American League.

Avi Garcia is at at 703 OPS for almost 1500 MLB at-bats. At least he still has a bit of the age/potential/late development argument in his favor. But Avi averaging 14-16 homers per season just isn't good enough with his serious defensive liabilities.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 11:58 PM)
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/pro...sp?P=cody-asche

681 career OPS in nearly 1200 MLB at-bats.

If he could approach his minor league average of 794, he might be close to a split/platoon DH, but anything sub 750 isn't going to come close to an "average" DH/RF/LF in the American League.

Avi Garcia is at at 703 OPS for almost 1500 MLB at-bats. At least he still has a bit of the age/potential/late development argument in his favor. But Avi averaging 14-16 homers per season just isn't good enough with his serious defensive liabilities.

Cody Asche is literally one year older than Avisail Garcia. Why do people seem to think that Asche is like a 32 year old journeyman?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 09:26 AM)
Cody Asche is literally one year older than Avisail Garcia. Why do people seem to think that Asche is like a 32 year old journeyman?

Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but I feel Avisail might have the ability to break out and hit 20 homers.

Cody Asche might have the ability to break out in hives.

Why is Cody Asche on the roster?

1. They need to fill an MLB roster without rushing guys to the majors.

2. Guys in minors need seasoning.

3. Service time on younger guys in minors.

4. He was once a top prospect so why not.

5. He probably won't be on this team come June.

6. If he sucks, he helps lose games in this tanking season.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 10:08 AM)

/thread

I love you.

1) so any minor league guy that's not a projected top prospect would be fine

2) any guy in the minors who is not projected to be a top prospect we don't need to worry about service time

3) see 2.

4) because his major league stats have already shown us what he can do at this level, and there's no upside, and we want to lose, not win, this season, so why would we be worried about window dressing on some "major league caliber" DH

5) same as any other guy currently in our system that's not a top prospect

6) a guy who is not a top prospect in our system can help us lose more

1) so any minor league guy that's not a projected top prospect would be fine

Who? Who else deserves these at bats? Mid-30s Ryan Raburn or Jason Bourgeouis?

2) any guy in the minors who is not projected to be a top prospect we don't need to worry about service time

This point wasn't about service time...

4) because his major league stats have already shown us what he can do at this level, and there's no upside, and we want to lose, not win, this season, so why would we be worried about window dressing on some "major league caliber" DH

Yet you believe Avi can hit 20 homers? A guy with more at bats and about the same age?

5) same as any other guy currently in our system that's not a top prospect

Again, who?

Edited by soxfan2014