4/17 at New York Yankees

flavum

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 12:45 PM)
I do agree with that. Help out the pitchers by having his defense in CF. Like I said above, I just checked out the high minors and there is no one deserving of that playing time anyway.

Exactly. At the moment, there isn't a better option for CF. It's easy to say keep Leury or May out of the lineup, but not so easy coming up with a replacement. For now, it is what it is. Hopefully mid-summer trades will bring back a quality OF prospect or two.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 12:45 PM)
I found it intriguing that Garcia's Range Factor in CF two years ago was similar to May's Range Factor in CF last year. Maybe Willy has lost a step in the past two years? Would seem odd though for someone that's only 24. Either way, I don't see May as a great defender. If they want all defense and no offense, Engel is a better option than May.

Don't know why the Pirates moved Willy out of CF but I'd have to guess it's due in part to his lack of speed. I'm all for giving Willy ab's , just not from the CF position. I like his bat's power potential and his strong arm so he is intriguing and worth a look for a rebuilding team.

I do agree that Engel is a better defensive option but he's hitting worse than May right now. Sigh, there just aren't any good options for CF at this time.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 01:44 PM)
Anyone who dislikes hashtags is a communist. Scientifically proven.

I do get uncomfortable when older people use an inappropriate amount of ht's for everything.

Or when my dad uses one within a text that he sends me. Its like, Dad, this isnt quite the place for a ht.

And the worst part is that I am pretty old myself at 35 and I even know when and where to use them.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)
I do get uncomfortable when older people use an inappropriate amount of ht's for everything.

Or when my dad uses one within a text that he sends me. Its like, Dad, this isnt quite the place for a ht.

And the worst part is that I am pretty old myself at 35 and I even know when and where to use them.

#shutupshipps

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)

I use them in a jokingly fashion all the time because why not. #shutupshipps

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)

I get uncomfortable whenever someone calls a hashtag a ht. :lol:

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 01:41 PM)
And are just stupid in general.

They make sense when the medium supports them and they're used appropriately (Wedding hashtags are far and away the most useful application of them), but not here.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 02:08 PM)
So what the hell is going on with Frazier?

I would imagine it's oblique related but the flu WAS brutal this year. I avoided it but those I knew who had it were legtimately out 4-5 days and they were not people to overdramatize an illness.

May is horrible in CF. He turned an out into an inside the park home run yesterday. He has not hit a ball with authority and mainly just strikes out. Leury Garcia on the other hand has played a decent CF. Two big plays the other day. One with his glove and the other with his strong throwing arm.

There is an opening in CF for Moncada if he wants to earn it. He just needs to get off the idea that he can play second base at the major league level. He did anything but prove that during ST.

Edited by miracleon35th

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 02:41 PM)
May is horrible in CF. He turned an out into an inside the park home run yesterday. He has not hit a ball with authority and mainly just strikes out. Leury Garcia on the other hand has played a decent CF. Two big plays the other day. One with his glove and the other with his strong throwing arm.

There is an opening in CF for Moncada if he wants to earn it. He just needs to get off the idea that he can play second base at the major league level. He did anything but prove that during ST.

He has played 0 professional innings in the OF. While I agree he probably profiles pretty well in CF, don't think the Sox send him out there unless he proves he cannot play the IF at the major league level. Thats at least a full year away.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 01:55 PM)
He has played 0 professional innings in the OF. While I agree he probably profiles pretty well in CF, don't think the Sox send him out there unless he proves he cannot play the IF at the major league level. Thats at least a full year away.

Numerous Scouts agree with you, namely that Moncada profiles well as a Centerfielder. Moncada wants and even insists that he play second base. Who is in charge of deciding where this guy plays? If I am the Manager at Charlotte, I tell Moncada to put an outfield glove on and get out there so I can see what he has. Let's see the speed running down balls in the gap. Can he do that, or not?

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 03:24 PM)
Numerous Scouts agree with you, namely that Moncada profiles well as a Centerfielder. Moncada wants and even insists that he play second base. Who is in charge of deciding where this guy plays? If I am the Manager at Charlotte, I tell Moncada to put an outfield glove on and get out there so I can see what he has. Let's see the speed running down balls in the gap. Can he do that, or not?

I'm guessing Grudz has 0 decision making ability when it comes to something like that.

Edited by Rowand44

Why? Let the guy play 2B for a while. Dude is still what, 21? If he can play a decent 2B, having his potential bat at that position would be great.

Lol...this entire post is a joke. Like most players, Moncada has a position he prefers, which happens to be 2B. I'm pretty certain he already said he'd be willing to play anywhere though. And the AAA manager doesn't decide what position the top prospect in the entire system plays.

Scouts have considered more than a few games when they suggested that Moncada profiles as a Center Fielder. Among other things, he has tremendous foot speed which would be more of an asset at that position than it would be at second base. Yes, people said that about Tim Anderson, but Moncada's body type looks more like Mike Trout than Anderson's does. Moncada looks like is relatively muscle bound.

Perhaps third base if he wants to play the infield.

In reality, many young men that are Moncada's age don't like to listen to parents, teachers and coaches so I doubt he will. One thing I might try would be to tell Moncada that CF is there for the taking but second base may not be, especially by the time he is ready to come up. Saladino might nail down that spot down if he continues to play well.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 03:53 PM)
Scouts have considered more than a few games when they suggested that Moncada profiles as a Center Fielder. Among other things, he has tremendous foot speed which would be more of an asset at that position than it would be at second base. Yes, people said that about Tim Anderson, but Moncada's body type looks more like Mike Trout than Anderson's does. Moncada looks like is relatively muscle bound.

Perhaps third base if he wants to play the infield.

In reality, many young men that are Moncada's age don't like to listen to parents, teachers and coaches so I doubt he will. One thing I might try would be to tell Moncada that CF is there for the taking but second base may not be, especially by the time he is ready to come up. Saladino might nail down that spot down if he continues to play well.

There is no way on God's green earth that Saladino nails down second base over Moncada.