Tommy Kahnle

reiks12

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 09:25 AM)
And as much as people want to question or allocate accountability to Kenny or Rick for certain moves over the last few years, they actually appear to be forming a great team. Rick is a more patient and effective negotiator, whereas Kenny is able to spend his time evaluating talent. In these roles, I feel as though the two of them form a stronger front office than we've had since perhaps the late 80's/early 90's.

Don't forget that the duo of RickKenny got us a broken down yet expensive James Shields for great prospect Tatis, Jr, just as team was about to embark on a rebuild. It never computed.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 11:53 PM)
"Jerry and the partners" ought to really check in with their financial planners before they make any foolish decisions, despite how those decisions might benefit the Sox' fan base (as if THAT'S ever been a factor in any decision-making the past four decades). Wouldn't want to threaten Reinsdorf's status as "billionaire owner" by asking him to sign players who might just lift this franchise out of its near decade-long postseason-appearing drought.

I know it is fun to think that people with lots of money will give it away for no reason, but I prefer to deal in reality. Guys who are self-made wealthy got there for a reason. Caring about people who take pot shots at them isn't going to move the needle at all.

There is also the fact that in a situation like this, it is pretty unlikely that they just leave $50-60 million sitting around in a savings account somewhere or in a vault like Scrooge McDuck. To me that is more important than hurt feelings as a consideration for how the team will act going forward.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 11:42 PM)
Not that Rick Hahn is bad at identifying talent, but it's not his strong point. The reason he was such a sought after GM is due to how contract savvy he is. Chris Sale was always going to bring a haul, but it was Hahn's shrewd negotiations that probably netted the Sox both Moncada and Kopech. Without the contract they had in place for Eaton, there's no way Washington is giving up all 3 of Giolito, Lopez, and Dunning.

If they got Luis Robert simply because they are paying everything upfront instead of pushing this off, thus making Robert more money as a result, the dude is amazing. People give him s*** because the Sox have not put a good team on the field under his regime thus far, but that's been more s***ty depth and less about what he's actually done. He's worked some very impressive trades and not actually given up much, if anything, in actual talent.

I said it before, but think of it this way. Because of the difference in tax rates, if Robert is in the DR when he collects the $25 million, he saves ~$4 million in taxes vs if he had been in the US when he collected it. In order to have gotten him an extra $4 million in take home money in the US, the bonus would have had to have been somewhere in the neighborhood of ~$32 million. In other words if the Sox bid $25 million, but paying it in the DR, versus another team offering $30 million, but paying in the US, the Sox bid would have been a higher take home value to Robert.

That would also explain the conflicting reports over whether St Louis offered a higher bid to Robert or not. It could have been higher in total dollars, but smaller after tax considerations because of the Sox starting him in the DR.

If that is the case, brilliant. Some times it pays to have a businessman around.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 01:40 AM)
If he keeps this up until the deadline, he'll be plenty valuable. The more I think about it, the more I think he's a chip we need to cash in.

Agreed, if he has similar value to that of a mid-tier closer, then jump on it. Kahnle for Calhoun seems like an optimal trade for Hahn

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 11:53 PM)
"Jerry and the partners" ought to really check in with their financial planners before they make any foolish decisions, despite how those decisions might benefit the Sox' fan base (as if THAT'S ever been a factor in any decision-making the past four decades). Wouldn't want to threaten Reinsdorf's status as "billionaire owner" by asking him to sign players who might just lift this franchise out of its near decade-long postseason-appearing drought.

They should never make decisions to appease the fans. They should make the decisions on what would make the team as good as it can be.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 06:45 PM)
Agreed, if he has similar value to that of a mid-tier closer, then jump on it. Kahnle for Calhoun seems like an optimal trade for Hahn

What is this sudden fascination with Calhoun? Why are we targeting a DH?

If we trade him I want an Andrew Miller Type return with 2 top 100 and a lottery ticket coming back. He is in the class of Chapman, Kimbrel, and Miller. You can make the case he does not close and has not done it for as long but you can see the adjustment he made and the stuff has always been there. If you truly believe that he is legit than you don't settle for anything less.

Willie Calhoun is a nice bat but he does not have a position and plays in Vegas which inflates the Home Run Totals.

QUOTE (kwill @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 09:19 PM)
If we trade him I want an Andrew Miller Type return with 2 top 100 and a lottery ticket coming back. He is in the class of Chapman, Kimbrel, and Miller. You can make the case he does not close and has not done it for as long but you can see the adjustment he made and the stuff has always been there. If you truly believe that he is legit than you don't settle for anything less.

Willie Calhoun is a nice bat but he does not have a position and plays in Vegas which inflates the Home Run Totals.

You need teams with deep farms to be interested to get those types of returns.

QUOTE (kwill @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 08:19 PM)
If we trade him I want an Andrew Miller Type return with 2 top 100 and a lottery ticket coming back. He is in the class of Chapman, Kimbrel, and Miller.

You'll probably never get that because he doesn't have the track record of the players you named. The fact is that he could still be a flash-in-the-pan in my opinion. A half season doesn't a top return candidate make in my opinion.

Plus there's a ton of NL teams that might be out of the wild card race if things continue like they are in the NL West, similar to 2006 AL Central race.

How many AL teams can compete with Red Sox in a battle of resources?

Just not sure how many teams these days will go for broke to make a one game playoff. It's going to come from one of those clear playoff teams that are 1-2 additions away, like the A's in 2014 before the wheels came off.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 10:01 PM)
You need teams with deep farms to be interested to get those types of returns.

That is correct. You will have the Astros, Yankees, and Dodgers all would want a guy in Kalhne. If there is one thing we learned from the past 2 playoffs it is that you want as many high leverage relievers as possible. Teams are learning in the playoffs having the best bullpen pieces can win you a series. See the KC Royals Run or the importance of Cleveland's pen last year.

What I'm getting that is a starter is sometimes brought in for to get a team to the playoffs but relievers can be valuable to teams that don't even need the boost.

Edited by kwill

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 10:13 PM)
You'll probably never get that because he doesn't have the track record of the players you named. The fact is that he could still be a flash-in-the-pan in my opinion. A half season doesn't a top return candidate make in my opinion.

^ agree with this to an extent but Kahnle's 3 years of arbitration control really changes the dynamic. Miller was traded for basically 1.5 years of expensive control.

Plus, Miller's return included a true blue chipper (Frazier). Two lesser top 100 guys might be entirely possible.

QUOTE (kwill @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 11:29 PM)
That is correct. You will have the Astros, Yankees, and Dodgers all would want a guy in Kalhne. If there is one thing we learned from the past 2 playoffs it is that you want as many high leverage relievers as possible. Teams are learning in the playoffs having the best bullpen pieces can win you a series. See the KC Royals Run or the importance of Cleveland's pen last year.

What I'm getting that is a starter is sometimes brought in for to get a team to the playoffs but relievers can be valuable to teams that don't even need the boost.

All three of those teams already have very good bullpens right now though and Kahnle's price will be steep. They'd all probably prefer a SP to acquiring another reliever.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 07:12 AM)
Rockies would like him back after bullpen blew an 8 run lead in last 4 innings last night.

I'd be really interested to see how the Rockies felt about bringing Kahnle back since he was an absolute disaster there. Rockies definitely need back end bullpen help, but I'm not sure how much Robertson makes sense for them either in light of his struggles in non-save situations. Also, their farm system has been raided by callups this year. Rodgers, Pint and McMahon (who has been raking this year) are the only headliners that they still have. And Pint has struggled pretty badly.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 10:51 AM)
I'd be really interested to see how the Rockies felt about bringing Kahnle back since he was an absolute disaster there. Rockies definitely need back end bullpen help, but I'm not sure how much Robertson makes sense for them either in light of his struggles in non-save situations. Also, their farm system has been raided by callups this year. Rodgers, Pint and McMahon (who has been raking this year) are the only headliners that they still have. And Pint has struggled pretty badly.

I'd love to see a White Sox/Rockies blockbuster. Q + Kahnle for Rodgers, Dahl, Hoffman, Pint, Murphy

QUOTE (striker @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 04:03 PM)
I'd love to see a White Sox/Rockies blockbuster. Q + Kahnle for Rodgers, Dahl, Hoffman, Pint, Murphy

Why would Col do that? Hoffman might be more valuable than Q now. Rodgers is a top 5 prospect. Colorado has strong pitching depth for now.

Edited by fathom