Reverse Standings Thread

Bob Sacamano

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)
The White Sox will take the college pitcher over a high school pitcher.

Brady Singer and Alec Hansen will look nice in the pipeline.

honest questions because I simply don't know.. What is it that people love about Singer? His college stats (i know it's not all about stats) simply don't shout out stud #1 pick. Someone fill me in!

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 09:45 AM)
I still really love Seth Beer. He fits exactly what we've been drafting recently too. Powerful bats with great walk/K's ratios but lack defensively. Despite is shortcomings I wouldn't think he is for sure a non-option anywhere for us from any pick we have

Brice Turang gets my vote. Super high ceiling prep SS that projects to stay there long term. Struck out ONCE in 101 ABs last season.

I'll be watching both he and Jarred Kelenic very closely this coming season.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 10:51 AM)
Brice Turang gets my vote. Super high ceiling prep SS that projects to stay there long term. Struck out ONCE in 101 ABs last season.

Yea I know there is a thread for this but Turang intrigues me the most.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 10:45 AM)
I still really love Seth Beer. He fits exactly what we've been drafting recently too. Powerful bats with great walk/K's ratios but lack defensively. Despite is shortcomings I wouldn't think he is for sure a non-option anywhere for us from any pick we have

Still need these guys to play somewhere in the field eventually, we may end up with 5 DH/1b by the time we're contending.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 10:51 AM)

Sorry, I wasn't insinuating I want him drafted. I also love Turnag and Hankins. I just wouldn't put it past the Sox with the players they've been drafting.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 11:18 AM)
Still need these guys to play somewhere in the field eventually, we may end up with 5 DH/1b by the time we're contending.

I completely agree. I didn't mean to make it seem like that's who I'd like. I honestly don't know yet and don't know enough about everyone. I like Turnag and Hankins a lot. I just wouldn't put Beer past them since that's the type of player they've been drafting. They haven't been too interested in Defense the past few years so I'm not certain that'll change.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 11:22 AM)
I completely agree. I didn't mean to make it seem like that's who I'd like. I honestly don't know yet and don't know enough about everyone. I like Turnag and Hankins a lot. I just wouldn't put Beer past them since that's the type of player they've been drafting. They haven't been too interested in Defense the past few years so I'm not certain that'll change.

I acknowledge the tendancy last few years, but the past 2 we've been just at the backend of the "top tier" of talent, then when dropped off, you had to choose between best bat, best athlete, projectable HS arm or College pitcher.

That's where they've been leaning best bat. But it seemed the rumor was they loved Mackenzie Gore this year and it seemed like maybe we liked beck. But when that wave was gone, they've prioritized a big bat over college SP/HS p and good athletes.

I don't think they'll have to make that choice, where they pick they should see a great athlete with a good hit tool, and a dominating pitcher.

Seth Beer is a guy you take a chance on at the top of the 2nd round if he's available. There is potential for a generational bat, but if the glove doesn't play anywhere else, then your risk is ultimately way too high to draft him anywhere but there.

I am guessing that Beer will end up in the back half of round 1 where a team can afford to take that risk, especially a team like the Yankees, whose system is among the deepest in the majors at the moment.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 01:30 PM)
Seth Beer is a guy you take a chance on at the top of the 2nd round if he's available. There is potential for a generational bat, but if the glove doesn't play anywhere else, then your risk is ultimately way too high to draft him anywhere but there.

I am guessing that Beer will end up in the back half of round 1 where a team can afford to take that risk, especially a team like the Yankees, whose system is among the deepest in the majors at the moment.

There is absolutely no way Beer will fall outside of the top 10. He may be at the backend of that but his bat is unworldly. He won't fall far

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 01:32 PM)
There is absolutely no way Beer will fall outside of the top 10. He may be at the backend of that but his bat is unworldly. He won't fall far

Given the recent dramatic shift in how teams value bat-only players these days I could definitely see him dropping that far.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 11:30 AM)

IMO it's way to early to tell regarding Beer - it's all about how his year is going in 2018 at draft time.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 12:00 PM)
Hoskins with another big hit. 2-run double, Phillies up 4-2 in the 5th.

5 - 4 Dodgers bottom of the 7th - Phillies have a runner on first with one out and hoskins at the dish.

Edit: Hoskins down on a called third strike.

Edited by hi8is