Tim Anderson

Knackattack

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 22, 2017 -> 11:38 AM)
Tim Anderson will come around just fine. People need to have some heart. We are dealing with human beings here.

Pretty sure he has a home in Charlotte. I don't see why giving him some time away from major league failure night in and out is heartless. Why isn't it heartless forcing him to play instead of letting him sit or take a paid leave?

For better or worse, we will get a real sense of Tim Anderson next year. My hunch is that he will be the player that the White Sox think he will be. In any case, he is one of those players where the most practical thing is to be patient and wait while focusing on other things. For the time being, I would like to get a sense of the rebuilding of the pitching staff.

Kind of sounds like Frazier was a pretty good influence on him too. Losing a guy who's been there for you throughout your time in the majors is not a small thing either.

Losing somebody close to you is one thing. I get that, grief sucks.

But ballplayers get traded, this is not breaking news to anyone. I doubt that's a big issue.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 22, 2017 -> 01:29 PM)
Pretty sure he has a home in Charlotte. I don't see why giving him some time away from major league failure night in and out is heartless. Why isn't it heartless forcing him to play instead of letting him sit or take a paid leave?

Who knows...I know opinions vary. Maybe it would be looked at as a form of "abandonment" by Anderson if he got sent down which is probably the worst thing. I think giving him some time off might be a good thing...but still being around his teammates for support. Nobody really knows except TA and those closest to him. He's young...and like many said will have growing pains.

he's just not that good. much of his value last year was due to his surprising defense, which appears to have been an anomaly based on his minor league track record and results from this year. His power last year was also surprising, and that could continue to develop, but bottom line is you can't have an obp of .266

Edited by daa84

I don't know how much of it is his grief, but he's clearly not in a good place mentally. It's easy to let the struggles pile on each other until you can't really play well anymore. I've been worried for a while that he's let the season get away, but I do worry that a demotion would be such a shock to the system that he might just flounder down there.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 22, 2017 -> 10:11 AM)
Dan Hayes has been very vocally against this. Seems to think he's been very affected by the stuff off the field.

Not saying I disagree, but my guess is he knows things we don't.

I remember Alexei recently having basically season long struggles over a death.

He still makes some great plays. The ability is there. It seems to me he is trying to make every play look spectacular. Even when he has plenty of time to set himself and make a throw he seems to be throwing on the run from a crazy angle. This is a guy with the physical ability to make tough plays look routine, I don't know if it is his friends death, trying to live up to the contract, or just some sort of slump, but I think it can be corrected. All the tools are there for him to be successful. Whether he ultimately uses them properly is the question IMO.

There are going to be bumps along the road for most, if not all of these prospects.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 22, 2017 -> 03:40 PM)
he's just not that good. much of his value last year was due to his surprising defense, which appears to have been an anomaly based on his minor league track record and results from this year. His power last year was also surprising, and that could continue to develop, but bottom line is you can't have an obp of .266

On a rebuilding team, why not? If he's going to have a bad year in his career, this is the perfect time for it, for many reasons. First, this year doesn't matter, so his struggles are helping the team accomplish their goals. Second, it lets the org know that a lack of depth at SS is unacceptable because there's a chance he could not be a ML caliber SS.

I was commenting to a friend last night how as soon as I get down on Anderson, he'll do one of those rangy grabs where he just turns his hips and fires off a hard strike to first while running sideways like it's the easiest thing. At the plate, the ball really flies when he squares it up and his swing just looks quick. Of course, as of late he rarely squares it up and as another poster said, really seems to be going up there without a plan. But I've grown more confident that the underlying talent is there—not just athleticism, but baseball talent.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 23, 2017 -> 02:30 PM)
I was commenting to a friend last night how as soon as I get down on Anderson, he'll do one of those rangy grabs where he just turns his hips and fires off a hard strike to first while running sideways like it's the easiest thing. At the plate, the ball really flies when he squares it up and his swing just looks quick. Of course, as of late he rarely squares it up and as another poster said, really seems to be going up there without a plan. But I've grown more confident that the underlying talent is there—not just athleticism, but baseball talent.

This is a good post. There's no harm with seeing what Anderson has to offer for the next 2 years, maybe even more. If it gets to the point where he is looking like nothing but a utility player, then there is an obvious need to look into finding a new SS.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 23, 2017 -> 02:30 PM)

I don't think any of us knows how much Steverson is working with the guy...but right now...it really doesn't appear to be all that much because he does go up to the plate without much of a plan. That swinging at first pitch at bat...ugh. Wtf is Steverson actually doing with him?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:43 PM)
I don't care if he chases first pitch, but at least have a plan and swing hard. He rarely hits anything with authority anymore

Hopefully this is the lowest point of his career, today. His swings are just so half assed. It's one thing to not have a plan. It's another thing to go up there half swinging the bat. I hope Todd can convince him to just look fastball the rest of this season and to go up there and take a pitch most AB just to see it and then SWING LIKE YOU MEAN IT.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:20 PM)
Hopefully this is the lowest point of his career, today. His swings are just so half assed. It's one thing to not have a plan. It's another thing to go up there half swinging the bat. I hope Todd can convince him to just look fastball the rest of this season and to go up there and take a pitch most AB just to see it and then SWING LIKE YOU MEAN IT.

Lou Brock said it best - "Show me a guy who's afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time."

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 05:43 PM)
I don't care if he chases first pitch, but at least have a plan and swing hard. He rarely hits anything with authority anymore

Also a very lazy player. Lazy defense causing him to have the most errors, lazy approach causing him to strikeout, lazy base running. The dude basically walks out the box every time he hits something. Just a flat out lazy player.