Quintana

ScootsMcGoots

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 08:24 AM)
Jon Morosi @jonmorosi

44s

Sources: #Brewers are prepared to buy at Trade Deadline and have begun background work on Jose Quintana, Sonny Gray and other starters. @MLB

Brinson, Ortiz, and Gatewood.

or

Ray, Ortiz, Phillips, and Supak

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 09:23 AM)
The next three days will be tell tale signs to both cub and Brewers.

I hope Billy Beane makes the cubs pay through the nose for Gray.

The cubs will probably just take on Verlander's whole deal and give up a nothing prospect along with Avila.

Apparently the Tigers want a team to take on Verlander's contract and send over 3 good prospects. Of course, that's where I would start with negotiations and ultimately, I think it's more of a salary dump with a good prospect and a couple alright prospects.

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)
I feel like Brinson would all but be off the table.

Brewers get: Jose Quintana

White Sox get: Corey Ray, Brett Phillips, Trent Clark and Monte Harrison.

Who says no?

I don't know who says no, but Brett Phillips thinks it's hilarious.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 09:30 AM)
The one thing worth noting is that Milwaukee's AAA team plays in Colorado, which means there are going to be a lot of altitude driven stats.

Out of their top 10 hitters wise, only Brinson and Phillips play there and I'd still gladly take both.

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)
I feel like Brinson would all but be off the table.

Brewers get: Jose Quintana

White Sox get: Corey Ray, Brett Phillips, Trent Clark and Monte Harrison.

Who says no?

Why would the White Sox or Brewers trade or trade for four outfield prospects?

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 09:47 AM)
Instead of Brinson, see if they'd compromise on Ray-Hader dual headliner.

I don't love that Ray and Hader are both not performing very well in the minors this season.

Ray has speed, but has not shown much power or ability to hit for average yet. Hader still walks too many guys.

I just do not have a great feeling for either of those prospects to want to deal Q for them.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 09:53 AM)
Why would the White Sox or Brewers trade or trade for four outfield prospects?

Especially since they also have some nice IF guys in Isan Diaz and Lucas Erceg that would look really good in our system.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 09:25 AM)
Apparently the Tigers want a team to take on Verlander's contract and send over 3 good prospects. Of course, that's where I would start with negotiations and ultimately, I think it's more of a salary dump with a good prospect and a couple alright prospects.

Verlander still has to ok any trade

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 03:40 PM)
I get the whole hometown ACE program angle, but Ray has done absolutely nothing in the minors aside from strike out and be a well below average hitter in a league in which he's older than the average age.

You CANNOT have Ray be the headliner in a Quintana trade.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 09:56 AM)
Especially since they also have some nice IF guys in Isan Diaz and Lucas Erceg that would look really good in our system.

I admittedly know next to nothing about Erceg, but he looks like the type of guy we've been trying to get away from. Low OBP and allergic to the walk. Much prefer Isan Diaz as the IF piece.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 09:56 AM)

I have my doubts the Brewers make the splash for a big time starter like Gray or Quintana. They have built up a solid farm system and I can't imagine a small market club blowing that up at this point.

Unless they view this as their chance to sneak past the Cubs and win the central division?

I'd likely have to either insist on Brinson headlining the deal, or would need 3-4 very good prospects back.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 11:01 AM)
I have my doubts the Brewers make the splash for a big time starter like Gray or Quintana. They have built up a solid farm system and I can't imagine a small market club blowing that up at this point.

Unless they view this as their chance to sneak past the Cubs and win the central division?

I'd likely have to either insist on Brinson headlining the deal, or would need 3-4 very good prospects back.

I think they can make a trade without making a huge dent. Aren't they a top 5 farm system? Especially if a trade involved an OF as the center piece (Brinson or Phillips; both having great years). They seem to be set in the OF for a while.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)
I think they can make a trade without making a huge dent. Especially if the center-piece is an OF.

I doubt they are willing to move Brinson considering his high upside, and I'm not that high on Corey Ray or Hader.

A Brinson + Ortiz + 1 or two lower level prospects would be a solid haul

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 11:05 AM)
I doubt they are willing to move Brinson considering his high upside, and I'm not that high on Corey Ray or Hader.

A Brinson + Ortiz + 1 or two lower level prospects would be a solid haul

What about a left-handed hitting Phillips? Braun is there through 2020 and Domingo Santana is going to hold down a spot. Plus, if they deal for Q and then next year guys on the team regress and they look to be an under .500 team, they have pieces to deal at the deadline, including Q, Braun, Thames etc. It's basically the Pirates scenario we all discussed in the off-season.

Edited by soxfan2014

Any starting pitcher the #Brewers would have interest in would have to have control beyond 2017, so Jose Quintana and Sonny Gray fit that.

https://twitter.com/Haudricourt/status/883344088283664384

Do not expect #Brewers to get silly and trade away all their top prospects, however. Long view still in effect while short view entices.

https://twitter.com/Haudricourt/status/883344398217555968

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 09:47 AM)
Instead of Brinson, see if they'd compromise on Ray-Hader dual headliner.

Pre-rebuild, the Sox would be all over Ray. Not now. The guy whiffs way, way, way too much. If Brinson isn't in the deal, the Brewers only serve to drive the price up on Q with no shot at all of landing him.