League Wide Speculation

hi8is

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 04:04 AM)
Seems like the 2nd wildcard is gumming up the works, so to speak. Right now, only three AL teams are definitely selling, and most of the NL teams that are in sell mode don't have much to trade.

I'll say first major trade is Ryan Madson to the Red Sox. Dombrowski is aggressive and they could use a set-up man for Kimbrel.

Sean Doolittle of the A's would be a good get.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 07:04 AM)
Seems like the 2nd wildcard is gumming up the works, so to speak. Right now, only three AL teams are definitely selling, and most of the NL teams that are in sell mode don't have much to trade.

I'll say first major trade is Ryan Madson to the Red Sox. Dombrowski is aggressive and they could use a set-up man for Kimbrel.

Joe Kelly has been outstanding as their RH set-up guy for Kimbrel. I think Boston may add a lefty

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 10:02 AM)
God I hope the Cubs back up the truck for Verlander. It would be awesome.

Eh, I'd rather our divisional rival be on the books for the money and not adding good/decent prospects to their terrible farm system.

Especially the douchey one.

Edited by ypres

QUOTE (ypres @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 06:53 PM)
Eh, I'd rather our divisional rival be on the books for the money and not adding good/decent prospects to their terrible farm system.

Especially the douchey one.

Seriously. I'm getting tired of teams helping Detroit out with their s***ty contracts. I'm still pissed about them getting out of that Fielder contract years ago.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 01:51 AM)
Seriously. I'm getting tired of teams helping Detroit out with their s***ty contracts. I'm still pissed about them getting out of that Fielder contract years ago.

I know. I used to rail on and on about contracts and how dumb owners are cause it almost always ends up like this: Which is the team wanting to dump the guy.

So Verlander makes 28,000,000 next year, then 28 mill in 2019 and 22 mill in 2020. I guess he's still "pretty good" but his era is 4.7 which is not good enough for that money, is it? Is anybody really going to take on that amount of dough? Cubs?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 10:03 PM)
I know. I used to rail on and on about contracts and how dumb owners are cause it almost always ends up like this: Which is the team wanting to dump the guy.

So Verlander makes 28,000,000 next year, then 28 mill in 2019 and 22 mill in 2020. I guess he's still "pretty good" but his era is 4.7 which is not good enough for that money, is it? Is anybody really going to take on that amount of dough? Cubs?

No team is taking on Verlander's contract in a trade at this point. He's owed a ton of money.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 09:03 PM)

Yes, because money is no object to Joe Ricketts and Co., yuge investment in building baseball's version of Disneyworld on the North side, Epstein's proven history of being a big spender, cub fans clamoring for a 're-peat". Add is Lester and Arrieta's inconsistency and you can almost bet the cubs will spend big on pitching if the opportunity presents and make a trade or two...at least one big name starter...perhaps Verlander, Sonny Gray or Archer.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 07:43 AM)
Yes, because money is no object to Joe Ricketts and Co., yuge investment in building baseball's version of Disneyworld on the North side, Epstein's proven history of being a big spender, cub fans clamoring for a 're-peat". Add is Lester and Arrieta's inconsistency and you can almost bet the cubs will spend big on pitching if the opportunity presents and make a trade or two...at least one big name starter...perhaps Verlander, Sonny Gray or Archer.

Rays may be in a tough position. They are right in wildcard position so I doubt they unload Archer unless they get young ML talent back.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 06:26 AM)
The Tigers think they can find some team willing to take Verlander's contract, just like the Padres found some team willing to take Shields' contract.

You are starting to lose it. The Padres had to eat over half of his contract to move Shields. The Sox only took on $27M for 2 1/2 years of control. That's about how much Verlander makes in one season. And the Tigers aren't going to eat any money while also expecting quality prospects in return. The situations aren't even remotely comparable.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 06:43 AM)

Money is no object to the Ricketts? Didn't they just recently sell equity in the team to help with their debt load? The Cubs may have some money to spend, but let's not act like they're suddenly the Dodgers or Yankees.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 07:25 AM)
You are starting to lose it. The Padres had to eat over half of his contract to move Shields. The Sox only took on $27M for 2 1/2 years of control. That's about how much Verlander makes in one season. And the Tigers aren't going to eat any money while also expecting quality prospects in return. The situations aren't even remotely comparable.

The truth is a terrible thing to waste. Nice post.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 07:25 AM)

There is similarity - Verlander is just more expensive. Verlander makes $28 million per; Shields $22 million per. Verlander has 3.5 years left; Shields had 2.5 years left.

Verlander's 2 years younger than Shields - so by the time the contract liability is paid out, both will be of the same age.

If the Tigers sell it for the same percentage that the Padres did, the buyer would be on the hook for about $44 million ($7, $13, $13, $11) for 3.5 years of team control. Certainly more $ and years than Shields (Who also inexplicably cost prospects), but to do a deal like this, the acquiring team has to be looking in the past. And Verlander's past was better.

Maybe someone would bite if they cut it to $30 million. I hope the Tigers are stuck with him.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 09:51 AM)
There is similarity - Verlander is just more expensive. Verlander makes $28 million per; Shields $22 million per. Verlander has 3.5 years left; Shields had 2.5 years left.

Verlander's 2 years younger than Shields - so by the time the contract liability is paid out, both will be of the same age.

If the Tigers sell it for the same percentage that the Padres did, the buyer would be on the hook for about $44 million ($7, $13, $13, $11) for 3.5 years of team control. Certainly more $ and years than Shields (Who also inexplicably cost prospects), but to do a deal like this, the acquiring team has to be looking in the past. And Verlander's past was better.

Maybe someone would bite if they cut it to $30 million. I hope the Tigers are stuck with him.

Doubtful the Tigers would be willing to eat $30 million of his contract just to move him. Plus they will still want significant prospects in return for doing so. I doubt he gets traded.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 11:18 AM)
Doubtful the Tigers would be willing to eat $30 million of his contract just to move him. Plus they will still want significant prospects in return for doing so. I doubt he gets traded.

I think they Tigers are in dreamland then.

He is a Tigers icon, so I can see them just holding.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 11:21 AM)
I think they Tigers are in dreamland then.

He is a Tigers icon, so I can see them just holding.

The guy is coming off a season where he was the runner up for the Cy Young, its not like he has a track record of being a garbage pitcher. He has had a rough start to the season, but much like Q, teams are willing to overlook some poor peripherals when you are playing for a bad team.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 01:47 PM)
LOL. Rangers saw that deal and have now put Darvish on the market.

Thank goodness Hahn struck when he did.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Sox did real well with timing and good on Hahn for ensuring it. I was skeptical and it worked out.