2017-2018 NFL Thread

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 1, 2017 -> 05:57 PM)
Yes. Seriously, every player there knows what Trubiskey looks like in practice. They also know that starting him with anything less than full preparation is foolish. He didn't have problems with decision making in the preseason because A. the teams did not run true defenses, B. they didn't game plan for him and C. Half the time he did roll outs to trim his decision making to half the field. none of that will cut it in the regular season.

He may start next game, that would be my choice but the coaching staff knows if he is ready or not. Do you truly think Fox is purposely playing the worse QB? His job is on the line. The only thing that would change this would be if PACE is ordering it.

Fox and Pace could have different agendas. Fox might be to the point where he figures Trubisky is the only guy that can save his job. That said, while Pace might agree with that, if he thinks that playing him now reduces the long-term success rate of Trubisky being good, then I could see him stepping in (since he knows he'll be around longer). Heck, look at Cleveland...Kizer is sinking over there. Does anyone think he is learning from being that bad?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)
Fox and Pace could have different agendas. Fox might be to the point where he figures Trubisky is the only guy that can save his job. That said, while Pace might agree with that, if he thinks that playing him now reduces the long-term success rate of Trubisky being good, then I could see him stepping in (since he knows he'll be around longer). Heck, look at Cleveland...Kizer is sinking over there. Does anyone think he is learning from being that bad?

There is absolutely the possibility that they have a different agenda. That is the the struggle in the front office and point to that discussion if Fox will be here next year.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 1, 2017 -> 08:19 PM)
Oh stop...nobody is attacking you. You just threw out all this stuff about "not in his best interest"...and then claimed you'd like to see him start. Which is it? You also claim it makes no difference what his teammates think. Of course it does! Other teams have no problem doing this (starting rookies). Trubisky is ready...he's been ready. Fox is just a stubborn ass...but that's neither here nor there. It Glennon's teammates have zero confidence in him...you don't think that's an issue?

You claim my opinion is based on "not liking how Glennon is playing"....lol...ummmmm....I think 99% of Chicago feels the same way. It's based on the fact that Glennon absolutely stinks and they have to spoon feed him plays so he doesn't get killed back there and it completely limits what the offense can do. He's horrible! You put the best player out there. They've had how many months now to prepare Trubisky? And I don't care if you want to claim he was playing against 2nd or 3rd string D...he still made plays. Stop and think...he made plays play WITH 2nd and 3rd string O. He's ready. And yes...he'll still make rookie mistakes. But this team will be better with his rookie mistakes than Glennon's complete ineptness that handcuffs the entire team. I get your point of coddling him til "he's ready"...I just don't buy that form of preparedness....not with this scenario. Trubisky is head and shoulders more capable of running this offense that the Giraffe.....

The Bears invested a lot in Trubisky and they need to make decisions which maximize that potential investment and put him in the best position to succeed and excel long-term. I'm not going to pretend to know what that answer is, but that is all that matters. And I think it is highly likely that the front office and coaching staff might disagree on the "when" answer, with Fox being more likely to want to turn to the rookie sooner vs. later. Additionally, Fox has actually succeeded with younger QB's in the past in his career.

Your opinion of Fox as being some stubborn guy has more to do with how he handles the media (which is completely ignores them with non-answers and never throws players on the bus, etc.) vs. the reality of the situation.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
The Bears invested a lot in Trubisky and they need to make decisions which maximize that potential investment and put him in the best position to succeed and excel long-term. I'm not going to pretend to know what that answer is, but that is all that matters. And I think it is highly likely that the front office and coaching staff might disagree on the "when" answer, with Fox being more likely to want to turn to the rookie sooner vs. later. Additionally, Fox has actually succeeded with younger QB's in the past in his career.

Your opinion of Fox as being some stubborn guy has more to do with how he handles the media (which is completely ignores them with non-answers and never throws players on the bus, etc.) vs. the reality of the situation.

Good point about Fox. I'm not sure where it's all coming from. I even saw a story this morning that this has been a Pace mandate to not play him (which baffles me). But they honestly could not keep trotting out Mike Glennon and all his ineptness. They were losing fans...and quite frankly I think they were losing the locker room somewhat if they decided to keep trotting him out there. Players were getting PO'd. I'm not going to pretend to know what's best either...but when you see rookies like Watson have the success they've had so far...it almost forced the Bears hand with this.

As for your first sentence...I wish the Bears would have felt that same way with Cutler and actually built him a solid OL...and stabilized that OC circus they had going on. They did't do too good with that investment IMO. I know this is different somewhat...but still.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 12:23 PM)
I'm excited everyone has decided that Trubisky is ready to get regular season action and will remind myself to be patient with the process, especially recognizing how terrible our wideouts are, etc.

Yeah...I'm not expecting miracles...but I'm sure you'll see a better product moving forward. I truly hope they activate Gentry too...given what you just mentioned with sketchy WRs...he and Trubisky had nice chemistry this camp. I'd like to see that continue....

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 03:21 PM)
Good point about Fox. I'm not sure where it's all coming from. I even saw a story this morning that this has been a Pace mandate to not play him (which baffles me). But they honestly could not keep trotting out Mike Glennon and all his ineptness. They were losing fans...and quite frankly I think they were losing the locker room somewhat if they decided to keep trotting him out there. Players were getting PO'd. I'm not going to pretend to know what's best either...but when you see rookies like Watson have the success they've had so far...it almost forced the Bears hand with this.

As for your first sentence...I wish the Bears would have felt that same way with Cutler and actually built him a solid OL...and stabilized that OC circus they had going on. They did't do too good with that investment IMO. I know this is different somewhat...but still.

In terms of the lockeroom, I do agree that it is a key point that ultimately matters. You can't just treat Trubisky with total "kid" gloves because there are other implications it has on the lockeroom, especially given that, by almost all accounts, Fox has had pretty strong control over the lockeroom. I think the fact that the team laid a complete egg on Thursday against the Packers, had a lot to do with Glennon (who was awful and I'm not one to just totally throw a player over the bus) but also I think magnifying it was the fact that the team had zero confidence in the QB (nor did the coaching staff...hence why we played it safe in that 4th quarter and ran the clock down quickly (vs. risking injury). Players are not inhuman and they knew they had no chance to come back. We as fans knew it, and they knew it too. To go back out and make any statement towards Glennon would have been crazy and if Trubisky has proven to be the clear cut best player, the Bears had to at some point turn to him. At the very least, if he wasn't ready, they would have had to turn to Sanchez, but I don't think that would have actually worked since by all accounts he's been much worse than any of the other QB's (going back to preseason).

Either way, at this point I hope Trubisky is able to grow and show us what we want and then some in this first year. I also hope he stays healthy and shows "progress".

QUOTE (Tony @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 08:29 PM)
Cam Newton...dumb.

The NFL is on a roll this year.

Can you imagine if regular people acted in these ways at their workplace?

It's getting harder and harder to like the NFL these days.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
I told you I failed spelling. I was especially poor on the exam for QB names.

I only called you out on this because you were on a roll with the spelling errors haha. Wouldn't have even crossed my mind otherwise.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 11:17 PM)
I only called you out on this because you were on a roll with the spelling errors haha. Wouldn't have even crossed my mind otherwise.

rightfully so. I was wrong on all of them.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 09:25 PM)
The NFL is on a roll this year.

Can you imagine if regular people acted in these ways at their workplace?

It's getting harder and harder to like the NFL these days.

Um...you don't have many women as coworkers do you?

Cam Newton said what most guys actually think...then everyone gasps in PC accordance. Honestly...all these networks have been doing lately is trying to cram women in their broadcasts down your throat in the name of equality. Honestly...no big whoop...but sometimes the stuff that comes out of some of these women's mouths trying to be "jocky" is actually kind of funny. Newton is young kid...bfd. I had a problem when he acted like a cry baby after the Super Bowl...but he'll learn. But honestly...the dude takes more unnecessary shots that don't get called more than any QB I've seen. If Sharon Rodgers got hit like he did...they'd call a congressional hearing. I do find his presser outfits pretty comical...but overall...I don't sweat Cam Newton.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 8, 2017 -> 01:27 AM)
Cam Newton said what most guys actually think...then everyone gasps in PC accordance. Honestly...all these networks have been doing lately is trying to cram women in their broadcasts down your throat in the name of equality. Honestly...no big whoop...but sometimes the stuff that comes out of some of these women's mouths trying to be "jocky" is actually kind of funny. Newton is young kid...bfd. I had a problem when he acted like a cry baby after the Super Bowl...but he'll learn. But honestly...the dude takes more unnecessary shots that don't get called more than any QB I've seen. If Sharon Rodgers got hit like he did...they'd call a congressional hearing. I do find his presser outfits pretty comical...but overall...I don't sweat Cam Newton.

Well this is absolutely horse s***.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 8, 2017 -> 01:39 AM)

Agreed, it is like saying female reporters are all about social issues. Also, what do most guys think?

Edited by New Era on South Side

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 8, 2017 -> 01:39 AM)

Exactly. If women were the same size and weight and strength as men, there would be women playing now. Women are as capable as men to figure out a route tree.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 03:19 PM)
Trubisky goes 21-30 with 250 yards and 3 TD's? Next Brady

Trubisky goes 16-30 with 170 yards and 2 INT's? Next Hanie

#chicago

I'd like to think Bears fans are realistic with him debuting against one of the best Defenses in the league and no WRs.

Who am I kidding? We're Bears fans.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)
I'd like to think Bears fans are realistic with him debuting against one of the best Defenses in the league and no WRs.

Who am I kidding? We're Bears fans.

If it's like Cutler's first performance v green bay that would be a gut punch.

But if we just ask him to do a bunch of checkdowns and he scrambles for a first down a few times? I think most will still be excited even if he doesn't have a sexy line.