2017-2018 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 30, 2017 -> 07:59 PM)
Fantastic move by the 49ers.

Yeah and kind of a waste for Patriots. They used a 2nd round pick to get him so the 49ers spent the same pick but get the Belichik experience for him.

Bears should have waited :D

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 30, 2017 -> 06:42 PM)
Yeah and kind of a waste for Patriots. They used a 2nd round pick to get him so the 49ers spent the same pick but get the Belichik experience for him.

Honestly...I'd have been exstatic if we acquired Jimmy G for a 2nd round pick in the past off-season, but I was a big proponent of going after Jimmy G. I think we'd be in a better position to contend right away (cause I do think Jimmy G is better then Glennon, etc) and we could have used our 3rd pick going another route. That said, I'm just happy we took a chance at addressing QB. You aren't going to become great ignoring the QB position and at least we took that chance. I'd take it again in a couple years if Trubisky was a bust. You got to invest in the position. That is the first step though, cause you then need to put him in a position to succeed (and reality is the Bears wanted very much to do that but had their hand forced by just how bad Glennon was...which in hindsight, who knows how bad he really was because these receivers truly suck).

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 30, 2017 -> 08:42 PM)

I'd rather have Trubisky then pay a 26 year old Garoppolo $100 million.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 30, 2017 -> 10:02 PM)
I'd rather have Trubisky then pay a 26 year old Garoppolo $100 million.

Yeah, the 49ers have 24 games to decide if he's worth $100 million. Unrestricted free agent this year, but I'm sure they can franchise him for 2018.

The funny thing is that everyone seems to assume that Garropplo is good, but nobody knows for sure.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 06:02 AM)
Yeah, the 49ers have 24 games to decide if he's worth $100 million. Unrestricted free agent this year, but I'm sure they can franchise him for 2018.

The funny thing is that everyone seems to assume that Garropplo is good, but nobody knows for sure.

If Bellicheck thinks Jimmy G will thrive in his system he would tell Kraft to pay the man for when Brady decides to hang it up. The fact everyone is sorta laughing at the Pats and praising the 9ers right now seems fishy, Pats are known to end up winning trades like these. We'll see.

Edited by TheTruth05

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 08:36 AM)
Schefter just tweeted that an nfl exec told him this is the most active trade deadline ever

Nice, I hope there is more. The NFL has always been lacking on the trade front compared to other sports.

And Zeke Elliot's suspension is back on. Maybe. I have no idea what any of the legal mumbo jumbo means.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 08:47 AM)
Nice, I hope there is more. The NFL has always been lacking on the trade front compared to other sports.

And Zeke Elliot's suspension is back on. Maybe. I have no idea what any of the legal mumbo jumbo means.

Basically, the short version is:

Every court level has a right to rule on this case, all the way up to the US Supreme Court.

Every court that gets this case on appeal will do 1 of 2 things:

1. Summarily rule that Elliott has no chance

2. Issue a "Stay" delaying the suspension until they have a chance to rule.

Elliott's case is currently at the US District Court Level and he's been turned down at this level. There are 2 higher levels: the Federal Appeals Court and the US Supreme Court.

You can expect him to file a motion with the Court of Appeals probably today. They will do 1 of the 2 options listed above. He has a very weak case given how the NFL's Collective Bargaining Agreement works, so they may rule against him summarily, but most often the court will still hear the case, which would require delaying the suspension until he can fit on their calendar.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 08:52 AM)
Basically, the short version is:

Every court level has a right to rule on this case, all the way up to the US Supreme Court.

Every court that gets this case on appeal will do 1 of 2 things:

1. Summarily rule that Elliott has no chance

2. Issue a "Stay" delaying the suspension until they have a chance to rule.

Elliott's case is currently at the US District Court Level and he's been turned down at this level. There are 2 higher levels: the Federal Appeals Court and the US Supreme Court.

You can expect him to file a motion with the Court of Appeals probably today. They will do 1 of the 2 options listed above. He has a very weak case given how the NFL's Collective Bargaining Agreement works, so they may rule against him summarily, but most often the court will still hear the case, which would require delaying the suspension until he can fit on their calendar.

Given the footnotes in that ruling I"d imagine he's about to just fold.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 04:21 AM)
If Bellicheck thinks Jimmy G will thrive in his system he would tell Kraft to pay the man for when Brady decides to hang it up. The fact everyone is sorta laughing at the Pats and praising the 9ers right now seems fishy, Pats are known to end up winning trades like these. We'll see.

Pats lost this deal already. Everyone thinks everything the Pats does is gold but it really isn't true. Tom Brady covers up a lot. They have busted on some large FA signings and the Chandler Jones trade was no bueno.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 07:04 AM)
If Bears can land Landry that'd be pretty sweet. #1 weapon for Trubisky the last 8 games and first shot at re-signing him or tagging him.

Is there a rumor out there? I would be interested in Ebron (for a very cheap price). That said, we need draft picks too. Anyone we have that people think we might trade? One of our DB's? I presume we won't make any moves, albeit, if there was a good young weapon we could get (more for next year since it is hard to use a system) who could grow / help Trubisky, I'd support.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 09:52 AM)
Pats lost this deal already. Everyone thinks everything the Pats does is gold but it really isn't true. Tom Brady covers up a lot. They have busted on some large FA signings and the Chandler Jones trade was no bueno.

The Pats are giving off the same kind of vibe to me that the Colts were when Peyton was getting older. They were still winning 10+ every season but it was all because of Manning. Once he was gone, they were (are) a dumpster fire.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 10:52 AM)

Eh, the Chandler Jones deal wasn't amazing but they were pretty certain they weren't going to be able to sign Jones after last season, still won the Super Bowl, Joe Thuney looks like he will be a really good starting guard for the Patriots for a long time and Macolm Mitchell was a decent WR as a rookie last year and had a good game in the Super Bowl.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 10:52 AM)

The Pats got a high 2nd round draft pick for a guy who was gonna be an unrestricted free agent and they had zero chance of re-signing or franchise tagging. If Jimmy G is a stud or Father Time catches up with Brady sooner, then it will look bad. But as of right now, I don't see how you can say they lost the trade already. Jimmy G is a question mark and Brady is cruising along.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)
The Pats got a high 2nd round draft pick for a guy who was gonna be an unrestricted free agent and they had zero chance of re-signing or franchise tagging. If Jimmy G is a stud or Father Time catches up with Brady sooner, then it will look bad. But as of right now, I don't see how you can say they lost the trade already. Jimmy G is a question mark and Brady is cruising along.

Agreed. If Brady really intends to play until 45 like he keeps saying and he actually stays healthy they weren't going to be able to keep Garoppolo long term anyways (and Garoppolo would be in his 30s at the time Brady was ready to retire).

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 31, 2017 -> 11:06 AM)
Agreed. If Brady really intends to play until 45 like he keeps saying and he actually stays healthy they weren't going to be able to keep Garoppolo long term anyways (and Garoppolo would be in his 30s at the time Brady was ready to retire).

It does seem like the Pats are going to need to spend a draft pick on a backup QB again this year though.