Shohei Otani is likely coming to the USA

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 05:55 PM)
Can't say I've truly grasped what the interests being defended are.

The negotiating window thing makes sense to me -- a lot of players' fee agent contracts will be put on hold until teams know they missed on Otani. Not knowing where he's going until Feb 1 could have a drastic impact on free agency.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 01:52 PM)
It would really suck the Yankees somehow landed him.

Of the most mentioned contenders for him, they are second only to the Cubs in teams I don't want him to go to. I think best case, besides us, would be the Rangers or the Mariners. I don't think they're good enough for him to make them annoying to us when we enter our window of contention.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 02:00 PM)
Of the most mentioned contenders for him, they are second only to the Cubs in teams I don't want him to go to. I think best case, besides us, would be the Rangers or the Mariners. I don't think they're good enough for him to make them annoying to us when we enter our window of contention.

I hope to heck the Mariners can land him. Great fit for both Seattle and Otani.

Jon Morosi‏Verified account @jonmorosi 22m22 minutes ago Source: In @MLB, @MLB_PLAYERS and NPB negotiations on new posting system, a few issues remain unresolved with less than 3 hours before the union-imposed deadline. Parties are hopeful that process can move to completion as business day opens in Japan, where it is now 7:30 am.

1. Joel Sherman‏Verified account @Joelsherman1 4m4 minutes ago So unless for some reason MLB owners do not ratify next Fri, Ohtani likely posted shortly after and signed before December is concluded. #LetTheBiddingBegin

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/933117213598461953 Beginning next offseason Japanese clubs will get 20 percent of the value for a player who signs an MLB contract of less than $25M, 17 1-2 pct for $25M-$50M, 15 pct $50M-$100M. For $100M or more 1st $25M 20pct, next $25M 17 1-2 pct, anything above that 15 pct

This offseason the Nippon Ham Fighters will receive $20M as a posting fee for Ohtani, the old system was grandfathered one last offseason.

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/933119198359900162

Source: Previous posting rules apply for the current offseason; new rules will take effect with 2018-2019 offseason. @MLB teams must ratify for agreement to become official, but that is expected to be a formality.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/933118745412882432

Jim Allen of the Kyodo News hears that the current expectation is that Ohtani will formally be posted on Dec. 2 (Twitter link). That’d give teams until Dec. 23 to strike a deal with Ohtani, based on the three-week window reported by Sherman.
- https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/brav...violations.html

That's gonna be quite the Christmas present for one group of devoted fans!

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 02:35 AM)
- https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/brav...violations.html

That's gonna be quite the Christmas present for one group of devoted fans!

Yep. I still think if the Sox really wanted him, they could make a good offer to get him. Would seem to come down to going for a couple million dollars or regular at bats. Idk how many at bats teams like the Yankees, Rangers, Twins and Mariners can give him if he really wants to hit.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 07:14 AM)
Yep. I still think if the Sox really wanted him, they could make a good offer to get him. Would seem to come down to going for a couple million dollars or regular at bats. Idk how many at bats teams like the Yankees, Rangers, Twins and Mariners can give him if he really wants to hit.

Of those four, really only the Mariners have a regular DH that would compete for ABs.

Believe me, I love to follow the NPB and I want Otani on the White Sox BADLY (I subscribe to the PL streaming service and watched all of Otani's starts this year), but this one is looking to be very, very unlikely for us.

Really, no AL team has less to offer him on paper than we do. We're not currently a contender, have the least amount of money to give, exist in an underperforming media market (given the Cubs and compared to LA/NYC), and we have a guy who will likely need to compete for DH at bats going forward (Abreu). On top of that, the Sox are one of the few teams who didn't bother to send anyone to go see him pitch this year, and there have been no indications that they've contacted his agent.

To me, it appears that the Sox consciously chose to put their eggs in the Luis Robert basket instead of joining the scrum for Otani, knowing that they had a much better chance of landing Robert given their ability to spend big and offer a Cuban-friendly clubhouse.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 08:12 AM)
Of those four, really only the Mariners have a regular DH that would compete for ABs.

Believe me, I love to follow the NPB and I want Otani on the White Sox BADLY (I subscribe to the PL streaming service and watched all of Otani's starts this year), but this one is looking to be very, very unlikely for us.

Really, no AL team has less to offer him on paper than we do. We're not currently a contender, have the least amount of money to give, exist in an underperforming media market (given the Cubs and compared to LA/NYC), and we have a guy who will likely need to compete for DH at bats going forward (Abreu). On top of that, the Sox are one of the few teams who didn't bother to send anyone to go see him pitch this year, and there have been no indications that they've contacted his agent.

To me, it appears that the Sox consciously chose to put their eggs in the Luis Robert basket instead of joining the scrum for Otani, knowing that they had a much better chance of landing Robert given their ability to spend big and offer a Cuban-friendly clubhouse.

I agree for the most part, but there are a couple of AL teams that can't even offer $300k at this time. But I do think they should throw some presentation to him anyway. I would imagine most teams figured Otani was going to wait a couple of years.

But they can offer him a DH role 5 days a week and see where it takes himI did read that the consensus is the team signing him will have to go to some sort of 6 man rotation initially. I think since contention will not be in the cards, he would have a more legit chance at doing both than will some other teams.

It is probably worse than 100 to 1 he takes the team's best offer, but this is like a $2 billion prize in mega millions. You know you aren't going to win, but you buy the $1 ticket just in case. I would think he signs with the Yankees.

Edited by Dick Allen

Yankees don't necessarily have a "regular" DH but once you factor in Hicks as the regular CF (pretty much the only guy who can play it regularly on that team) and Judge as the regular RF, that leaves LF and DH between Gardner, Ellsbury and C. Frazier. Of course there are variables like trading Gardner, salary dumping Ellsbury on someone, dealing Castro/Headley (another guy who could factor into DH spot once of Torres is up).

Sad, but very accurate.

James Fox‏ @JamesFox917 2h2 hours ago Still some confusion out here amongst fans and media regarding Ohtani. Teams like #Dodgers #Cubs #WhiteSox can only give him a $300K bonus. There are no "special deals".

Teams can't promise him a new deal after a couple years. It will be heavily frowned about and crippling to a franchise. He signs standard minor league deal. Then he has 3 pre-arb years and 3 arb years.

#Cubs and #Dodgers could use next year's international money to sign Kevin Maitan however or any of the other prospects released yesterday.