What do you take from the 2017 season?

southsider2k5

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 09:46 PM)
The sox are in trouble then. I don't think they will spend spend 155 mil on a pitcher like the cubs did for Lester.

The Sox might not have to spend on a pitcher like the Cubs did. They have 2-3 guys in the

system who are potentially as good or better than Lester. Kopech and Hansen could turn out to

be true Aces. If that happens there won't be a need for a 155 million dollar free agent pitcher. Each

rebuild is different.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 09:46 PM)
The sox are in trouble then. I don't think they will spend spend 155 mil on a pitcher like the cubs did for Lester.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. Sox have a deeper pitching farm than the Cubs have had since Theo took over.

They will be in the market for a starter in "win now" time, but that's not a big concern right now.

The one thing I would be concerned about is the White Sox ability to keep their pitchers longer term. You're probably not going to get very many Sale/Q type deals anymore. If Arrieta gets a boatload of money this offseason, expect it to get harder and harder to sign pitchers to extensions.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (zisk @ Oct 7, 2017 -> 07:39 AM)
The Sox might not have to spend on a pitcher like the Cubs did. They have 2-3 guys in the

system who are potentially as good or better than Lester. Kopech and Hansen could turn out to

be true Aces. If that happens there won't be a need for a 155 million dollar free agent pitcher. Each

rebuild is different.

Agree. But most 'aces" take a few years to going from good to an "ace". So the Sox may have to trade if they want to be a viable contender in 2020. Even Sale may not be an ace yet after 6 years due to durability.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 10:33 PM)
Naw, it's because you both love to talk in endless circles of nonsense. 😆

Before ptatc has a chance to say it...

NASCAR!

:D

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 11:11 PM)
It is an important one. For as legendary as the Cubs rebuild was, they spent around half a billion dollars to finish it off.

This isn't directed at you and I'm all for taking shots at the cubs but some of the comments are just that. The irony I see is that some Sox fans are willing to spend half of that half billion, if not more for just one player in trading for Stanton or signing Machado. Then there's Harper who could cost the signing team close to that half billion.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 8, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)
... most 'aces" take a few years to going from good to an "ace".

Let's all hope that Rodon is "that guy" and that Kopech and Hansen both just come up throwing video game insane mode numbers from the start.

If it all works out perfectly ( I know, I know ) this s***'s bonkers

Rodon

Kopech

Hansen

Giolito

Lopez

Let a brother dream.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 8, 2017 -> 11:38 PM)
Let's all hope that Rodon is "that guy" and that Kopech and Hansen both just come up throwing video game insane mode numbers from the start.

If it all works out perfectly ( I know, I know ) this s***'s bonkers

Rodon

Kopech

Hansen

Giolito

Lopez

Let a brother dream.

The great thing about that is there are about 5-7 other legitimate starter options in the White Sox minor leagues that you don't even have listed. Dunning, Cease, Clarkin, Adams, Fulmer, Guerrero, Stephens all have starter potential as well, and I think I may even be missing some on that list.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 03:29 AM)
The great thing about that is there are about 5-7 other legitimate starter options in the White Sox minor leagues that you don't even have listed. Dunning, Cease, Clarkin, Adams, Fulmer, Guerrero, Stephens all have starter potential as well, and I think I may even be missing some on that list.

I don't even know who the f*** Clarkin is... which makes it even more awesome. I love a deep farm system.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 03:29 AM)

Yep...some will succeed as starters, some will succeed in the bullpen, some won't succeed in either role and if you have a lot of them succeed, you can trade from quantity.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 01:29 AM)

I'm well aware my man - very well aware. 🙏🏻🤘🏻

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Oct 8, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
I wouldn't worry about that too much. Sox have a deeper pitching farm than the Cubs have had since Theo took over.

They will be in the market for a starter in "win now" time, but that's not a big concern right now.

The one thing I would be concerned about is the White Sox ability to keep their pitchers longer term. You're probably not going to get very many Sale/Q type deals anymore. If Arrieta gets a boatload of money this offseason, expect it to get harder and harder to sign pitchers to extensions.

The Sox have been that way for quite some time. They just seem to miss on position players. Maybe position players are more valued now than pitchers. Good to see the Sox going more for position players.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 07:12 PM)
The Sox have been that way for quite some time. They just seem to miss on position players. Maybe position players are more valued now than pitchers. Good to see the Sox going more for position players.

The White Sox have not had a "Deep pitching farm" for some time. They developed a pair of pitches in 2010-2012, both of whom spent less than a full year in our system combined. Beyond that, what pitching talent have the White Sox developed since Theo Epstein took over? Chris Bassitt? Erik Johnson? Chris Beck? Frankie Montas? From 2013-2017 our "pitching depth" that we developed was 2 guys in the big leagues, Carlos Rodon who isn't doing all that great, and that list.

The White Sox have not had a "Deep pitching farm" for some time. They developed a pair of pitches in 2010-2012, both of whom spent less than a full year in our system combined. Beyond that, what pitching talent have the White Sox developed since Theo Epstein took over? Chris Bassitt? Erik Johnson? Chris Beck? Frankie Montas? From 2013-2017 our "pitching depth" that we developed was 2 guys in the big leagues, Carlos Rodon who isn't doing all that great, and that list.

I think the Sox are thought of that way, but if they really had system pitching depth we would be in the position we are now. The fact is, Kenny Williams drafted a guy in Sale who didn't need to be on the farm at all (He was in relief that same year IIRC). If this org were ever loaded with pitching depth, we would have moved some of it for MLB talent. That never materialized. Good on Hahn et al for replenishing the pitching in the minors.

Was thinking about next years lineup and looking at some defensive numbers for Sox players. Carlos Sanchez is an elite defensive 3B. Of 3B with 350 innings played (Carlos only played 393 innings there this year), Carlos ranks as follows:

UZR - 13th

UZR/150 - 1st

RZR - 1st

DRS - 6th

He still needs to increase improve his offensive profile to jump up into the next tier, but if he can play that type of defensive at 3B over the course of a 162 game season and stay around 95 wRC+, that should equate to a 3-4 win player. It should definitely be his job to lose next season and probably until Burger is ready or a FA stud is signed. Really good development for the rebuild though.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 03:41 PM)
Was thinking about next years lineup and looking at some defensive numbers for Sox players. Carlos Sanchez is an elite defensive 3B. Of 3B with 350 innings played (Carlos only played 393 innings there this year), Carlos ranks as follows:

UZR - 13th

UZR/150 - 1st

RZR - 1st

DRS - 6th

He still needs to increase improve his offensive profile to jump up into the next tier, but if he can play that type of defensive at 3B over the course of a 162 game season and stay around 95 wRC+, that should equate to a 3-4 win player. It should definitely be his job to lose next season and probably until Burger is ready or a FA stud is signed. Really good development for the rebuild though.

The IF looks good next year. Around the horn you have Sanchez, Anderson, Moncada, Abreu. That's a pretty solid IF. I think TA will play a run neutral SS next year, which is basically what he did the last 50 odd games this year once he started to pick up the pieces from his friend's death.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 01:41 PM)
It should definitely be his job to lose next season and probably until Burger is ready or a FA stud is signed. Really good development for the rebuild though.

You mean we're not going to resign Todd Frazier? :angry: