Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 08:04 PM)
Guerrero is about number 12 in the White Sox system. Is theirs really as good?

I had just used MLB rankings (which obviously not the be all end all,) had him at #21. Don't get me wrong, I would have protected him and figure we would lose him. Just trying to figure a way to get something for a lost resource. As another poster mentioned, you may not be able to add him to the 40 if you acquire him which would kill his value. Earlier, I even wondered if we didn't like anyone better, could we draft him?

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 02:32 PM)
I had just used MLB rankings (which obviously not the be all end all,) had him at #21. Don't get me wrong, I would have protected him and figure we would lose him. Just trying to figure a way to get something for a lost resource. As another poster mentioned, you may not be able to add him to the 40 if you acquire him which would kill his value. Earlier, I even wondered if we didn't like anyone better, could we draft him?

You can draft your own guys. Apparently some team years ago forgot to protect a guy but they had a high pick so they just took him.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 10:59 PM)
You can draft your own guys. Apparently some team years ago forgot to protect a guy but they had a high pick so they just took him.

Thanks for the info. I would definitely consider him. Kinda like Burdi and Cortes. Cortes is just turning 23 LHP. In 52 ip at AA three HR allowed, 48 ip at AAA and zero HR allowed. That might work, although he doesn't have huge GB%.

Edited by BamaDoc

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 04:59 PM)

Draft Guerrero, then Burdi, then one of the three pitchers in the BA article. Then offer Guerrero back to yourself and put him back in AA.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 07:10 PM)
Draft Guerrero, then Burdi, then one of the three pitchers in the BA article. Then offer Guerrero back to yourself and put him back in AA.

That could be a possibility if the Sox wanted to keep him. He really needs to pitch in AAA this season instead of being tossed into the majors.

I think the Sox have their eyes set on other players in the rule five draft though

I think you could get something of value for Smith near the end of spring training. If we don't have an injury at catcher, I think he would make sense for a team looking for a backup catcher. He would be cheap, fairly decent with some MLB experience, seems to be a good guy. Somebody will have an injury or not like how their situation is looking. Might get a low level flier. Teams would know we have no real place for him as I don't see us keeping three catchers.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't want to start another thread for this since it is pure speculation and no reports have mentioned the Sox being interested so i just picked this one, but with the Yelich news today (apparently he wants to talk to management about getting out of MIA), wondering what everyone's thoughts are on him.

At first, I think it would be an easy assumption to make that Yelich would cost an Adam Eaton package (if not more) but I am not necessarily convinced of that. Eaton was coming off a a 6+ WAR campaign whereas Yelich has never exceeded 4.5 (3 seasons of exactly 4.5). Eaton had 3 years remaining on contract at $14M plus two option years and Yelich has 5 years at $35M plus one option year - so Eaton 5 years less money, Yelich 6 years more money. We do have to factor that Yelich is three years younger, but overall Eaton could be seen as having a little more trade value than Yelich at this time last year. I think we all can agree the Eaton deal was an overpay as well - but it was a contending team that thought Eaton would help them get over the top while costing very little. In light of that, I don't think Yelich would cost a team two top 50 prospects and a previous years first rounder like Washington gave up for Eaton. More likely one top 50 prospect and some good prospects to supplement the package.

https://tomahawktake.com/2017/12/18/atlanta...an-yelich-cost/

I typically don't read Fansided articles as they are pointless, but the author did put some thought into this one. It compares the trade package for Ozuna vs what a trade package for Yelich would look like from the Braves perspective. To sum it up for Yelich: Ian Anderson (#5 ATL prospect, #50 per MLB.com), Kyle Muller (#10) Christian Pache (#11) and some lower prospects that I won't mention.

I think a package from the Sox perspective that would be similar and likely beat this proposed deal would be - Hansen/Cease, Rutherford, Fulmer. I would not dip into the Eloy, Kopech/Robert trio, but anyone else would be on the table (within the right combination). And this is coming from a guy that thinks Rutherford took too much heat last year for his struggles and not indicative of a failed prospect like some on here think. 5 years of Yelich when this team is just about to contend again (hopefully 2019) would be huge, rather than waiting to see if Rutherford/Robert/Adolfo are the next big things come 2020. I also think it would be a great signal to any free agents in the coming years that Sox are serious about contending and not just rebuilding. Sorry for the rambling, but been on a my mind on awhile as we sift through the confusion of the proposed Machado deal.

QUOTE (pablo @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 03:24 PM)
I didn't want to start another thread for this since it is pure speculation and no reports have mentioned the Sox being interested so i just picked this one, but with the Yelich news today (apparently he wants to talk to management about getting out of MIA), wondering what everyone's thoughts are on him.

At first, I think it would be an easy assumption to make that Yelich would cost an Adam Eaton package (if not more) but I am not necessarily convinced of that. Eaton was coming off a a 6+ WAR campaign whereas Yelich has never exceeded 4.5 (3 seasons of exactly 4.5). Eaton had 3 years remaining on contract at $14M plus two option years and Yelich has 5 years at $35M plus one option year - so Eaton 5 years less money, Yelich 6 years more money. We do have to factor that Yelich is three years younger, but overall Eaton could be seen as having a little more trade value than Yelich at this time last year. I think we all can agree the Eaton deal was an overpay as well - but it was a contending team that thought Eaton would help them get over the top while costing very little. In light of that, I don't think Yelich would cost a team two top 50 prospects and a previous years first rounder like Washington gave up for Eaton. More likely one top 50 prospect and some good prospects to supplement the package.

I typically don't read Fansided articles as they are pointless, but the author did put some thought into this one. It compares the trade package for Ozuna vs what a trade package for Yelich would look like from the Braves perspective. To sum it up for Yelich: Ian Anderson (#5 ATL prospect, #50 per MLB.com), Kyle Muller (#10) Christian Pache (#11) and some lower prospects that I won't mention.

I think a package from the Sox perspective that would be similar and likely beat this proposed deal would be - Hansen/Cease, Rutherford, Fulmer. I would not dip into the Eloy, Kopech/Robert trio, but anyone else would be on the table (within the right combination). And this is coming from a guy that thinks Rutherford took too much heat last year for his struggles and not indicative of a failed prospect like some on here think. 5 years of Yelich when this team is just about to contend again (hopefully 2019) would be huge, rather than waiting to see if Rutherford/Robert/Adolfo are the next big things come 2020. I also think it would be a great signal to any free agents in the coming years that Sox are serious about contending and not just rebuilding. Sorry for the rambling, but been on a my mind on awhile as we sift through the confusion of the proposed Machado deal.

I'd be okay with a move such as that.. However I view Hansen as our #3 prospects behind Eloy and Kopech so I don't want to trade him. But if you could work out a Cease and Rutherford package that would be interesting to both clubs I'm sure

QUOTE (pablo @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 04:24 PM)

I'm not blown away by that Braves package, it feels light if I am the Marlins. Yelich is under long term control for a very reasonable sum of money, I'd be asking for two top 100's plus a solid third piece at a minimum.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 03:57 PM)
I'm not blown away by that Braves package, it feels light if I am the Marlins. Yelich is under long term control for a very reasonable sum of money, I'd be asking for two top 100's plus a solid third piece at a minimum.

I would agree with you that Braves package seemed a tad light - I guess you could think of it as a "first offer" from the Braves. But even with two top 100 prospects as you suggest, Sox can definitely put up a package that would A) not include Eloy/Kopech/Moncada/Giolito/Lopez/Robert and B) not gut the system. Hansen, Cease, Rutherford, Burger, Collins can all be viewed as if they are top 100 or very close to it, depending on who's opinion you are asking.

I'm just hoping the Sox are thinking about this. If the Braves and Phillies are in the mix as reports suggest, Sox should be as well then. Now if it turns into a bidding war then no need to include too much, but I think this would be a very smart move for the Sox.

If you can get Yelich for Rutherford, Cease, & Fulmer, maybe also taking on a bad contract or two, you absolutely do it. I'm not particularly high on any of those guys and I think we have better options at all the positions while CF is an area of need. But I doubt that would get it done. I think the Marlins are going to wait for someone to offer a haul before they trade Yelich.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 04:32 PM)
If you can get Yelich for Rutherford, Cease, & Fulmer, maybe also taking on a bad contract or two, you absolutely do it. I'm not particularly high on any of those guys and I think we have better options at all the positions while CF is an area of need. But I doubt that would get it done. I think the Marlins are going to wait for someone to offer a haul before they trade Yelich.

Pretty sure the Marlins would hang up the phone if that was your offer. Rutherford is coming off a down season and Fulmer's status as a prospect has definitely dropped, while Cease is a higher risk prospect due to his injury history.

Compare that to the offer the Sox got for Eaton. Yelich is probably a bit better and signed to a very, very similar contract. I don't see any way the Sox could acquire Yelich without first having to include one of their untouchable prospects.

I like Yelich quite a bit, but it just doesn't seem like the right fit at the moment. Perhaps next offseason when the Sox have a clearer picture of the future if the Marlins haven't dealt him by then.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 04:40 PM)
Pretty sure the Marlins would hang up the phone if that was your offer. Rutherford is coming off a down season and Fulmer's status as a prospect has definitely dropped, while Cease is a higher risk prospect due to his injury history.

Compare that to the offer the Sox got for Eaton. Yelich is probably a bit better and signed to a very, very similar contract. I don't see any way the Sox could acquire Yelich without first having to include one of their untouchable prospects.

I like Yelich quite a bit, but it just doesn't seem like the right fit at the moment. Perhaps next offseason when the Sox have a clearer picture of the future if the Marlins haven't dealt him by then.

I initially threw out the Fulmer idea - but you are right in that his stock has fallen and for good reason. Got a bit carried away there.

But I do disagree on Rutherford. I think in the fans' minds that his stock has fallen - he gets a bad rap here on Soxtalk. Still a young player with a bright future. If he reaches his potential, he could end up like a Yelich type player. We won't know what some of these guys will be ranked exactly before the season, but Hansen and Rutherford could find themselves in the top 75, maybe top 50 if you squint hard enough.

Hansen + Rutherford would be a good start to a package and then you can go from there. Surely beatable but also could be a steep price to pay for another team.

Unfortunately, it's a long shot to expect one of the top FA's to choose the Sox next season. They'll have the money to spend but still might not be enticing enough when the offers will all be ridiculous from other teams as well. I think a young cost controlled position player is something the Sox should be targeting - cash in a few of these chips (not the big ones) for a steady player, possible All-Star. Maybe it helps bring some credibility to FA's next offseason.

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 08:09 PM)
I'd love to get some depth for the farm. We have a good first wave but we don't have ton of guys behind them that reckon to be ready in 2-3 years as part of a 2nd wave.

Pretty much all of our top guys are 21 years or older.

Robert, Rutherford, Burger, Collins, Cease, Sheets, Hansen, Dunning, and others all beg to differ.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 12:31 AM)
Robert, Rutherford, Burger, Collins, Cease, Sheets, Hansen, Dunning, and others all beg to differ.

All those guys are in their twenties and almost ready to be promoted. My point is where is the next wave. None of our top 30 prospects are younger then 20.

It's not a major criticism when the farm was rebuilt on the fly we targeted the right guys in trades but inorder for the rebuild to be sustainable our system is going to need depth. That means signing a bunch of Dominicans next year and being active in IFA not just the big splash guys like Robert but the 1,2, million guys as well.

Edited by wrathofhahn

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 02:18 AM)
All those guys are in their twenties and almost ready to be promoted. My point is where is the next wave. None of our top 30 prospects are younger then 20.

It's not a major criticism when the farm was rebuilt on the fly we targeted the right guys in trades but inorder for the rebuild to be sustainable our system is going to need depth. That means signing a bunch of Dominicans next year and being active in IFA not just the big splash guys like Robert but the 1,2, million guys as well.

You're mad we don't have more teenagers in our top 30? Seems like an odd critique of the #1 system in baseball.

But if it helps, we are having the #4 pick in the draft in less than 6 months.

Only if their front office wants to get fired.

If you followed along in the draft this past summer, the Sox made it clear they wanted to draft high school kids. There just were runs on them before their picks and it didn't work out well.

Nick Hostetler evens mentions they want to spread out the talent in this article:

https://theathletic.com/187901/2017/12/18/q...-hes-ever-seen/

QUOTE (Soha @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 09:20 AM)
If you followed along in the draft this past summer, the Sox made it clear they wanted to draft high school kids. There just were runs on them before their picks and it didn't work out well.

Nick Hostetler evens mentions they want to spread out the talent in this article:

https://theathletic.com/187901/2017/12/18/q...-hes-ever-seen/

Sounds like we might be going HS heavy in this next draft which makes a ton of sense.

Would also be nice to see some LatAm signings actually make an impact stateside.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 09:24 AM)
Sounds like we might be going HS heavy in this next draft which makes a ton of sense.

Would also be nice to see some LatAm signings actually make an impact stateside.

This really should be a breakout year for some. We have had a pack of those kids get to the states and start playing at the lowest levels, though pretty young while doing it. They should be getting to the stage where they aren't the youngest kids anymore. Guys like Mota, Mercedes, Reyes, and Quijada played last year at Great Falls, and might be ready for full season ball. There were about 10 kids from Latin America in the Arizona Rookie team. Maybe we see a Sosa or a Coranado from that group break out. Maybe one of the catchers of Perez or Alfaro emerges.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 09:54 AM)
I have a lot of hope for that 2016 Lat Am class. Much less for the 2015 guys.

That said, we do need a bunch of high schoolers, and we are in much better position to do it than last year at #10.

Nander de Sedas is drawing comps to Lindor. Scouts say better bat, slightly worse defense. I'd still prefer a college bat at #4, but a youth infusion throughout the rest of the draft would be welcomed.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 04:23 AM)
You're mad we don't have more teenagers in our top 30? Seems like an odd critique of the #1 system in baseball.

But if it helps, we are having the #4 pick in the draft in less than 6 months.

I'm not mad at all. I just like to see us draft some highschoolers and be active in IFA to build a 2nd line after the 1st wave gets promoted. I also don't want to see a situation where we have guys blocked either.