KW on Jimenez/Kopech

Jose Abreu

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Eloy may play some OF early in his career, but I don't think he is going to be an OF long term.  That is based purely on what I've read and watching him play on shitty minor league feeds.  But he doesn't look particularly good out there.  

Understatement of the week. He's a butcher. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I've got the entire operating history of the White Sox organization as support.  Look, obviously Eloy may end up being the next Manny Ramirez and the Sox back up the brink truck and sign him to a $400M deal in the FA absolutely crushing their next highest contract given out.  But I highly doubt that is going to happen.  

7 years ago, the only current players on the Sox 40 man who were with the team were Yolmer who was Carlos in A ball, and Kevan Smith who was just drafted. With JR's advanced age, and of time itself, there really is no way of knowing what things will be like for the White Sox in 2025. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

Then throw it out the window because pretty much everything they've done since December of 2016 would contradict your evidence. 

I'll believe it if the Sox are serious contenders for Machado or Harper this offseason, or Arenado the following.  Until then, the Sox have given out exactly 3 deals above $55M. Eloy may make 75% of that per year in 2025 if he ends up being Manny Ramirez.  

1 hour ago, BlackSox13 said:

I have no problem with gaining the extra year of control, it's the lame rationale Hahn is giving to the media. Literally nobody is buying it. IIRC the Sox did something similar with Yoan last year before calling him up.

Personally I feel they have been waiting until they see if they can move an outfielder or two today. I really don't think the Sox will wait until next year.

They have to do that.  No team has ever stated publicly "we're keeping him down to get an extra year of control".  Again, blame the shitty CBA they signed.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'll believe it if the Sox are serious contenders for Machado or Harper this offseason, or Arenado the following.  Until then, the Sox have given out exactly 3 deals above $55M. Eloy may make 75% of that per year in 2025 if he ends up being Manny Ramirez.  

We were also serious contenders for Tanaka a few years ago, and A-Rod in 2001. It's not like we've never offered > $68MM.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I am kind of with you there. If they are serious and intend to bid right with the highest offers, that will be one thing. If they play the "well take a little less, play for Ricky, he speaks Spanish, and everyone loves Chicago" tact, they normally use..then it's the more things change, the more they remain the same.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I am kind of with you there. If they are serious and intend to bid right with the highest offers, that will be one thing. If they play the "well take a little less, play for Ricky, he speaks Spanish, and everyone loves Chicago" tact, they normally use..then it's the more things change, the more they remain the same.

Right.  Things can and do change.  It's very conveivable the Sox have different ownership in 2025.

But where I sit right now, I have a hard time seeing Eloy resign with the Sox if he reaches his ceiling.  That's all I am saying.  

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

We were also serious contenders for Tanaka a few years ago, and A-Rod in 2001. It's not like we've never offered > $68MM.

It depends on how you define serious. The Sox offered A Rod nowhere near what he received. Tanaka, they offered a good amount, but nothing close to what it took. Serious to me and not getting him is coming in second 1 or 2 games behind. Coming in second 20 games behind isn't serious. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Let us hope that Ricky isn't around by that point.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Bringing him up in September is the same as bringing him up on Opening day next year. Bringing him up right now is also the same as opening day next year. To gain an extra year of control, they would need to send a player to the minors for about the first 2 weeks of next season, so no September callup in that case nor could he break camp with the big league team.

Gotcha. I was thinking that was the case, but wanted to confirm.  

The Sox managed to keep their only HOF in living memory around right up to the point they didn't want him anymore and decided instead to replace him with a younger HOF player. If Eloy is going to be Frank Thomas level of good, I think the Sox will have as good of a chance as anybody to keep him around.

18 minutes ago, Jake said:

The Sox managed to keep their only HOF in living memory around right up to the point they didn't want him anymore and decided instead to replace him with a younger HOF player. If Eloy is going to be Frank Thomas level of good, I think the Sox will have as good of a chance as anybody to keep him around.

The vast majority of players wind up playing for more than one MLB team. Odds are, no matter how he turns out, Eloy will be headed elsewhere at some point.

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Based on?

Given that Eloy has already selected his team once based off of his favorite player growing up and not the team offering him the most money.  WSD has said before Rodon will definitely test free agency and go to the team that pays him the most.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Given that Eloy has already selected his team once based off of his favorite player growing up and not the team offering him the most money.  WSD has said before Rodon will definitely test free agency and go to the team that pays him the most.

I did read about that one which makes me think he may end up being a Cub again *eventually.*

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

This is dependant on him liking the organization. Would he still want to do this if they keep him down just to keep control for extra year.

18 hours ago, fathom said:

As would 95% of players....

9 hours ago, Quinarvy said:

Up until last year, the Sox never shelled out big time for a Latin prospect.

Then they broke the bank.

The Sox would never enter a full-scale, proper rebuild.

Then they did.

They'd also never make a major, franchise-altering trade with the Cubs.

Then they did.

I definitely get the impression that Hahn takes these "the White Sox would never _____" comments as a challenge. Now it's that the Sox would never sign a stud free agent to a record-breaking contract. We'll see about that in the next couple offseasons. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

The Sox would never enter a full-scale, proper rebuild.

Then they did.

They'd also never make a major, franchise-altering trade with the Cubs.

Then they did.

I definitely get the impression that Hahn takes these "the White Sox would never _____" comments as a challenge. Now it's that the Sox would never sign a stud free agent to a record-breaking contract. We'll see about that in the next couple offseasons. 

That's where I'm drawing the line. I am not stupid enough to think $68 million will be their record free agent contract much longer, but will they go into the Harper, Machado, Arenado stratosphere? That is one I just can't see.