8/26 GT - KOPECH DAY (PART 2)!!

I'm not keeping track, but it seems Kopech is getting ahead of the vast majority. Good to see.

And OMG, shut up Benetti. The irony of Kopech being from Mount Pleasant while being rather unpleasant from 60"6'? Shut up shut up shut up shut up

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think so.  He’s getting grounders now.

Yeah, it changed in that inning, but before that, every out since Goodrum in the first had been in the air. Sanchez, Anderson and Moncada still don't even have a single assist today (not that that has anything to do with Kopech's pitching- just odd).

1 minute ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Sure. He has been a huge disappointment this year though.

What excuses will be made for him if he is still striking out 30% of the time with a sub 100 WRc+ this time next year?

What negative remarks will you continue to make if he isn’t?

• Like 1

It's so awesome to see Kopech looking good, Gio was great again last night, Rodon is a stud, get ReyRey unleashed and that's 4 pretty solid arms heading into 2019. I suspect Shields will be in the rotation for age balancing, but as a 5th he's not horrible. Team is playing respectable baseball of late, it's good to see after how horrific the start of the year was.

Long time Sox Fan here living in MI. I don't post a whole lot but decided to share a few thoughts on what Im seeing.

They need to sit Moncada for a week or so and just let him watch. Sometimes when your struggling as much as he is you can do yourself more good by just watching for awhile. I still think the young man is going to be a good player. He is very young and still immature. 

I love Giolito and Kopech and Rodon as the future one, two, and 3 starters. I also still believe Lopez can be a solid number 4.

I really like Palka as a DH/1B. Can  he play 1B ? 

I really hope the Sox don't give up on Avi. He is still a young player. I really think he is going to be one of those late bloomers who's best years are in his late twentys and early 30's.

I sure wish Engel could hit a lick because I love his defense and hustle. He has to produce more at the plate though. 

The Sox need two more above average position players and a couple more solid bullpen arms to go with the youth they have and I think they will contend in 20

Edited by brijames1957

Just now, brijames1957 said:

Long time Sox Fan here living in MI. I don't post a whole lot but decided to share a few thoughts on what Im seeing.

They need to sit Moncada for a week or so and just let him watch. Sometimes when your struggling as much as he is you can do yourself more good by just watching for awhile. I still think the young man is going to be a good player. He is very young and still immature. 

I love Giolito and Kopech as the future one and two starters. I also still believe Lopez can be a solid number 3. 

I really like Palka as a DH/1B. Can  he play 1B ? 

I really hope the Sox don't give up on Avi. He is still a young player. I really think he is going to be one of those late bloomers who's best years are in his late twentys and early 30's.

I sure wish Engel could hit a lick because I love his defense and hustle. He has to produce more at the plate though. 

The Sox need two more above average position players and a couple more so;id bullpen arms to go with the youth they have and I think they will contend in 2020.

Who as a legit shot at being the 4th and 5th starter for the future? 

Post every Moncada AB from now on.

4 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

What excuses will be made for him if he is still striking out 30% of the time with a sub 100 WRc+ this time next year?

It's all about the Ks. Go look at some of my contributions to the Moncada thread. If he gets his K-rate down to 20% and keeps his other rates entirely the same, his OPS would be .818. Just sayin'.

Also, I get the defense concerns for both, but Narvaez and Palka have both earned their spots for next year AFAIC.

23 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Moncada gets to 2 strikes and looks like a deer caught in the headlights. The kid has shown absolutely no ability to adjust his approach and I'm worried that the Sox coaching staff have no idea on how to work with him

Says the guy that wanted to trade Kopech and Moncada for Torres 

5 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

I think 30% might be a realistic K-rate for him next year, but I do expect a wRC+ of around 100 or better. If he's actually below 100 at this point next year without many major strides made, I'll start to worry. 

5 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

It's so awesome to see Kopech looking good, Gio was great again last night, Rodon is a stud, get ReyRey unleashed and that's 4 pretty solid arms heading into 2019. I suspect Shields will be in the rotation for age balancing, but as a 5th he's not horrible. Team is playing respectable baseball of late, it's good to see after how horrific the start of the year was.

ReyRey needs to miss more bats. His peripherals suck.

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic