Sox acquire Alex Colome For Narvaez

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I've followed Grandal for a lot of his career, including his draft eligible season as Sox were rumored to be in on him.  He drives me absolutely crazy.  Very frustrating to watch bat, as he goes into insanely bad slumps.  He's also a liability vs LHP.

And despite all that, he's still probably a top 3 all around catcher in baseball.

I also wouldn't call him a "liability" vs LHP (just based on numbers); he's certainly worse but not to the point where he would need to be platooned 

2 minutes ago, vannzee said:

I would have preferred Pazos from the Mariners over Colome, honestly.

They probably weren't offering a guy that's still a season or two away from arbitration.  This deal for Seattle had a lot more to do with money than talent. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

So after the world series does Grandal count as a strong or weak defensive catcher?

No idea. I haven't checked his defensive stats but he sure looked bad in the playoffs. Besides I don't think Grandal makes as much sense as everyone thinks. Castillo is the main catcher for 2019 and has a team option for 2020 ? We're probably looking at one of the older defensive type catcher as a backup . Look what Eric Kratz did for the Brewers in the playoffs.

24 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No idea. I haven't checked his defensive stats but he sure looked bad in the playoffs. Besides I don't think Grandal makes as much sense as everyone thinks. Castillo is the main catcher for 2019 and has a team option for 2020 ? We're probably looking at one of the older defensive type catcher as a backup . Look what Eric Kratz did for the Brewers in the playoffs.

Supposedly the advanced stats really liked his defense, but that of course was before the playoffs. 

I hope Colome is nasty fast. We need a flamethrower for the ninth. If he is a valuable bullpen piece, Hahn will be considered a genius following this trade. We gave up a catcher who cannot catch effectively for hopefully an automatic save machine. Fastballs and cutters, compared to Mariano Rivera is what I read. Hahn may win over a lot of fans with this trade.

17 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

A Sox pen with Colome, Fry, Bummer, Hamilton, Vieira, the eventual arrival of Burdi and one of Allen/Ottavino/Herrera/Britton would be pretty sick. 

They have a young staff, so they should be looking to shorten the games for them. 

Familia would seem to be the heavy favorite.  Ottavino seems destined for NYY

33 minutes ago, Tony said:

In May when Colome blows a save, we’re going to get the post “I thought this guy was supposed to be as good as Mariano Rivera, that’s what I was told by many fans and media, this guy isn’t very good.”

Can’t wait...

Remember how all of KC & the media was laughing and thrilled to be rid of Soria last year because he was worthless and washed up? Good times.

Eh, the individual moves of letting Smith go for free, and trading away Narvaez are small matters.

But taken together, if losing BOTH backup options leads to speeding up Zavala's/Collins' timeframes, I kinda hate it.

I'd prefer for these two to be given as much time as is necessary for them to learn all they need to learn in Charlotte. Here's hoping Hahn has someone in mind as the 2nd Catcher to give Zavala/Collins enough time to get ready.

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

Let the record state Greg doesn't mind this trade. Never fell in love with Narvaez though he did all right. We need bullpen arms who can actually getr people out and not implode and this guy seems like he has a chance to be good.

Greg's rating of trade on 1-10 scale: 8. I'll give it a B on a grade scale, more of a lower end B.

He already is good. 

2 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Eh, the individual moves of letting Smith go for free, and trading away Narvaez are small matters.

But taken together, if losing BOTH backup options leads to speeding up Zavala's/Collins' timeframes, I kinda hate it.

I'd prefer for these two to be given as much time as is necessary for them to learn all they need to learn in Charlotte. Here's hoping Hahn has someone in mind as the 2nd Catcher to give Zavala/Collins enough time to get ready.

He already said that they’re going outside the organization.  

8 hours ago, fathom said:

I've followed Grandal for a lot of his career, including his draft eligible season as Sox were rumored to be in on him.  He drives me absolutely crazy.  Very frustrating to watch bat, as he goes into insanely bad slumps.  He's also a liability vs LHP.

I think  grandal is a bit of a mistake hitter. He has great plate discipline and waits for a fat pitch to crush but against tough pitchers who can locate with velo he is in trouble.

Still is a good defender, not the best blocker but great at framing.

Narvaez has quietly been one of the better-hitting catchers the last few years, putting up a career .274 batting average and .366 on-base percentage and showing increasing power each year. Overall, his .809 OPS last season ranked fifth among all big league catchers with at least 300 plate appearances. Narvaez is strictly an offensive catcher. He ranked last out of 117 catchers in pitch framing last year, according to Baseball Prospectus, and he had the third-most errors (seven), fourth-most passed balls (12) and second-most stolen bases allowed (66) of any AL catcher. He is under team control through 2022, giving the Mariners four seasons before he hits free agency.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/white-sox-acquire-alex-colome-from-mariners-for-omar-narvaez/

Forgot that both were Rays’ prospects in 2014-15.