Sox Non-tendering Matt Davidson

bmags

3 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Definitely a surprise. But, he definitely had his chance.

I’m way lower on Palka than the rest of the board, though.

I don't know. I think it's more that Nick and Matt had their year 2. So the fact that he doesn't means he had a leg-up. I'm not keeping a long term spot for palka, but he did enough to get a second audition whereas the others second auditions didn't do anything.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It appears they are ready to pay attention to defense.  Maybe they are trying to start the winning part of this thing.

Hahn did say if there was one thing that would be better in 2019 it would be the defense. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if Billy Hamilton joined us.

Sad day for Greg. I feel like some of Matt's bombs and Palka's bombs (and Matt's funny pitching outings, 3) were the only saving grace in me spending 100 or more for MLB.com last season. The advanced metrics peeps win out again. Hate to break it to some of you, but Matt and Avi are way better than a LOT of players in White Sox history. There are plenty of players worse hitters than Avi and Matt who played for the Sox in history.

I'd be SHOCKED if KC doesn't sign him. He's cheap still and they have no third baseman. Give him 600 at bats and see how many dingers he mashes and what his final BA will be for the season.

Well, Mr. Hahn told me today with these moves that Matt and Avi are not good enough, plain and simple. OK, Mr. Hahn, I don't love your work or hate it yet in your tenure, but sign me some players WAY BETTER THAN Avi and Matt and if you can, bring 'em in now. I wanna win.

Go Matt D! Go Avi baby! Go Sox!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Sad day for Greg. I feel like some of Matt's bombs and Palka's bombs (and Matt's funny pitching outings, 3) were the only saving grace in me spending 100 or more for MLB.com last season. The advanced metrics peeps win out again. Hate to break it to some of you, but Matt and Avi are way better than a LOT of players in White Sox history. There are plenty of players worse hitters than Avi and Matt who played for the Sox in history.

I'd be SHOCKED if KC doesn't sign him. He's cheap still and they have no third baseman. Give him 600 at bats and see how many dingers he mashes and what his final BA will be for the season.

Well, Mr. Hahn told me today with these moves that Matt and Avi are not good enough, plain and simple. OK, Mr. Hahn, I don't love your work or hate it yet in your tenure, but sign me some players WAY BETTER THAN Avi and Matt and if you can, bring 'em in now. I wanna win.

Go Matt D! Go Avi baby! Go Sox!

WOOF, doesn't mean they should keep them because they're better than some other scrubs from before....For every Andy Gonzalez there's an Avi/Davidsion I guess.

3 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

WOOF, doesn't mean they should keep them because they're better than some other scrubs from before....For every Andy Gonzalez there's an Avi/Davidsion I guess.

True, but as a Sox fan if you are gonna cut my guys (Avi, Matt) well you ought to show me some STUDS who are gonna replace them pretty soon. It's sad (to me) that we sign Leury (blah) on the same day we cut two of my favorite Sox. There is a lesson in here somewhere to Avi and Davidson. Players better start studying modern metrics and start improving in the areas of modern metrics that matter to fans/GMs now. Obviously the occasional to fairly often "electric" play means nothing. You got the ability to whack a Kittle-like bomb (Davidson; if we played in old Comiskey Matt and Palka would have roof shots to their resume), that means nothing today. You got no value. Sorry if I'm passionate. Two of my fave players got cut so forgive me pls.

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

True, but as a Sox fan if you are gonna cut my guys (Avi, Matt) well you ought to show me some STUDS who are gonna replace them pretty soon. It's sad (to me) that we sign Leury (blah) on the same day we cut two of my favorite Sox. There is a lesson in here somewhere to Avi and Davidson. Players better start studying modern metrics and start improving in the areas of modern metrics that matter to fans/GMs now. Obviously the occasional to fairly often "electric" play means nothing. You got the ability to whack a Kittle-like bomb (Davidson; if we played in old Comiskey Matt and Palka would have roof shots to their resume), that means nothing today. You got no value. Sorry if I'm passionate. Two of my fave players got cut so forgive me pls.

Well Eloy is going to occupy one spot eventually, and rumor has it he can hit a bit.  We'll have to let the off season play out to see what other holes are filled but I think they'll be able to find someone with better production than those two.  Quite frankly, if Avi and Davidson had performed better durimg their tenures they'd have been tendered, but they didn't and here we are. 

Edited by Sleepy Harold

19 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

Definitely a surprise. But, he definitely had his chance.

I’m way lower on Palka than the rest of the board, though.

Palka is just coming into his own and was learning to go LF with the outside pitches. He has earned another year in the lineup. 

As Hawk always says, baseball is a game of adjustments.

Whether he can follow it up is the big question, which could just as easily be Delmonico/Davidson/Leury or Giolito In 2018, or Omar Narvaez on the offensive side this year.   

You put any hitter in a stadium like Oakland, Seattle or Minnesota, their numbers are likely to fall off significantly (unless you’re Marcus Semien, apparently.)

18 hours ago, pcq said:

Palka is just coming into his own and was learning to go LF with the outside pitches. He has earned another year in the lineup. 

Palka is a low OBP DH who cannot hit lefties, and a strikeout machine. He is exactly the type of guy who peaks his first season.. he is also Avi’s age. It would be great if somehow he improved, but I think there is an excellent chance that he takes a step backwards.

44 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Palka is a low OBP DH who cannot hit lefties, and a strikeout machine. He is exactly the type of guy who peaks his first season.. he is also Avi’s age. It would be great if somehow he improved, but I think there is an excellent chance that he takes a step backwards.

His strikeouts were impressive at 153 in 449 PAs but a power guy can be forgiven. I think he has the makeup to improve and stick around for a couple years. Should not start against most lefties but then he showed a knack for coming off the bench. You have to give him a little credit for being a clutch hitter. He is being presented with a challenge and asked to step up. Too bad his glove doesn't really play anywhere. 

I give him credit. I doubt anyone thought he would hit 27 homers or he wouldn’t have been waived by the Twins. I just see a low OBP, barely above replacement level player, which is what he was, about as good as it is going to get with him unless there is some sort of change, plus he is old for a rookie. He is sort of a poor man’s Ron Kittle. He may stick around a while, and maybe still be productive occasionally with his spots carefully chosen, but he isn’t a guy you should count on being in the middle of your line up.

The Twins kept Max Kepler (1.2, 1.4 and 2.6) over Palka, as well as Grossman, Sano and Mauer.

Of course, most glaringly, Morrison pulled a LaRoche and went from 3.2 to -0.7, and now Grossman is finally gone (0.8, 0.5, 0.7).

Arguably, they made the wrong call there, but they weren’t going anywhere without Buxton, Berrios and Sano being stars, with Rosario trailing not too far behind.

Kepler is simply a better version of Avi Garcia.  But I wouldn’t bet a house on him being a true 3ish fWAR OF.

Edited by caulfield12

7 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I give him credit. I doubt anyone thought he would hit 27 homers or he wouldn’t have been waived by the Twins. I just see a low OBP, barely above replacement level player, which is what he was, about as good as it is going to get with him unless there is some sort of change, plus he is old for a rookie. He is sort of a poor man’s Ron Kittle. He may stick around a while, and maybe still be productive occasionally with his spots carefully chosen, but he isn’t a guy you should count on being in the middle of your line up.

Compared to spending $12 million a year on a "barely above replacement" DH and then having them fall apart because they're 32-36 years old, which is our description of the rest of the decade, I'll take a #5/6 platoon DH out of him. 

Out of position players, this decade, the 2 positions where the White Sox have spent the most money are, in order, 1b and DH. With where this league has evolved, that's just terrible usage of resources. 

8 hours ago, pcq said:

His strikeouts were impressive at 153 in 449 PAs but a power guy can be forgiven. I think he has the makeup to improve and stick around for a couple years. Should not start against most lefties but then he showed a knack for coming off the bench. You have to give him a little credit for being a clutch hitter. He is being presented with a challenge and asked to step up. Too bad his glove doesn't really play anywhere. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Compared to spending $12 million a year on a "barely above replacement" DH and then having them fall apart because they're 32-36 years old, which is our description of the rest of the decade, I'll take a #5/6 platoon DH out of him. 

Out of position players, this decade, the 2 positions where the White Sox have spent the most money are, in order, 1b and DH. With where this league has evolved, that's just terrible usage of resources. 

If you want to win championships, especially multiple championships like Hahn constantly states, you have to spend money, even blow some. Trying to be smarter than everyone else by trying to save mo ey here and there, gets you exactly where the White Sox are.

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If you want to win championships, especially multiple championships like Hahn constantly states, you have to spend money, even blow some. Trying to be smarter than everyone else by trying to save mo ey here and there, gets you exactly where the White Sox are.

Spending money stupidly though, like spending it on the position which in theory should be the easiest to fill, the White Sox have been totally willing to do that and it has been a disaster for the franchise.

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Spending money stupidly though, like spending it on the position which in theory should be the easiest to fill, the White Sox have been totally willing to do that and it has been a disaster for the franchise.

Not spending money because you think Daniel Palka and Yolmer Sanchez May be championship players is about as dumb as it gets.

The Sox have a rather low payroll. As far as I can tell no one on this board is expecting to be named in JR’s will. Especially the posters who thing Harper and Machado is a possibility. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Not spending money because you think Daniel Palka and Yolmer Sanchez May be championship players is about as dumb as it gets.

The Sox have a rather low payroll. As far as I can tell no one on this board is expecting to be named in JR’s will. Especially the posters who thing Harper and Machado is a possibility. 

I can think of dumber - the signings we made at the DH position.

25 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Palka and Sanchez are necessary players on a bad team, whether they can be contributing players on a good team is not known yet.

The White Sox do have an incredibly low payroll. There is salary cap ceiling that they have to be at. If Hahn doesn't like Davidson or Garcia, even on 1 year deals to bring them back, just to be clear, are you suggesting the White Sox should spend because they have the money or fighting back the suggestion that Palka and Sanchez are better than they really are?