Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

15 minutes ago, fathom said:

I thought so too until I read this article.  Lots of things trending the wrong way

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2018/9/15/17862888/arizona-diamondbacks-aj-pollock-swing-rate-sprint-speed

12 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Definitely only interesting if we got him at a solid discount.  If he's still barking up the $80m/5 tree, no way.  Someone will fold and cough up the cash though (looking at you Philly!)

I wouldn't extremely overpay to get him, but at a reasonable salary he would look good playing between Jimenez and Harper at the Rate.

2 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I wouldn't extremely overpay to get him, but at a reasonable salary he would look good playing between Jimenez and Harper at the Rate.

If they get Harper, I'm fine with Engel there another year because that would be a very weak corner outfield defense.  If they don't get Harper, for some reason I feel they get Marwin Gonzalez.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I am guessing Mannys wife probably prefers the White Sox because her brother is now here, but for how long? Manny most likely is Yankees. Maybe the compromise is taking the stupid money in Philadelphia.

This is like house hunters MLB, 3 teams, two of them are favored by the couple for different reasons and then there is the third.....which do they choose 😂 

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

I think someone mentioned it earlier, but if you're even remotely considering signing them both together, you might as well go all out and secure one at the highest bid.

yes, and this is where I hope they're being realistic about their chances with Bryce.

3 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

This is like house hunters MLB, 3 teams, two of them are favored by the couple for different reasons and then there is the third.....which do they choose 😂 

House Hunters and Pitch Perfect 2 mentioned in the same day. MACHADO TO CHICAGO CONFIRMED.

• Haha 1

Just now, fathom said:

Fine with me if it means they signed Machado.  If they miss both, god help them explaining Avi as their big expenditure.

With all this build up I can’t see how the Sox could justify not signing one of them.. I’d guess they old “you can’t force someone to sign with you” Fans are going to be pissed. 

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

I think so too unfortunately. 

I'd rather have Avi for 1 year at 9 million than Adam Jones, etc.  Much better chance he either has a great season and becomes a solid trade chip at the deadline or he puts it all together and you can extend him/QO him.  Unlikely, but at least it's possible instead of just wasting money on another VETERAN leader.

• Quin locked this topic