Lopez Needs to go down

Soxsi75

I sincerely think that after his outing last night, Reynoldo Lopez needs to be sent down. Except for the big strikeout game he had against Detroit, he's had no command of anything he throws all year. He literally has looked like he has no idea where any of his pitches are going. It doesn't seem to be an issue that he's nibbling because he doesn't trust his stuff. Since it is a location issue, it's probably mechanic. So has Cooper discovered anything wrong in his delivery? If not why not? Or if he has and Lopez isn't listening, is he uncoachable?  Now I guess the main question would be, if they send him down who do they replace him with?  Is it too early to bring up Cease? Or is it simply they have no one better to bring up? But truth be told, with the command he's had of his pitches all year, he doesn't belong up here. 

18 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I think he could be a decent back end guy.  His stuff is mostly there.   He wears down, but you don't have to squint very hard to see a MLB pitcher with him.

May be a bad thing if you want the Sox to sign a big free agent starter in the offseason.  If Covey pitches well, Hahn will use it as an excuse not to sign one.

Giolito

Kopech

Cease

Lopez

Covey

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

Lopez stays up in the Majors and Cease stays down in the Minors. It's absolutely insane.

Lopez is 25 and prior to being traded had already been called up to the majors. 

Cease is 23 and up until this season, hadn't seen AAA action. 

Different circumstances. 

6 minutes ago, Dan of Steel said:

Lopez is 25 and prior to being traded had already been called up to the majors. 

Cease is 23 and up until this season, hadn't seen AAA action. 

Different circumstances. 

Lopez can't get anybody out. What do the White Sox have to lose in bringing Cease up to the Majors? Cease might get  hitters out.

While I'm as frustrated with the kid as anybody he's still young enough to where you keep trotting him out and hope something clicks or he slowly can improve to bad 4th decent 5th starter territory for next year and so on after.

I don't think anybody has to do much of a deep dive into his numbers to find why he struggles just watching it's clear he has zero command of any pitch.  I'm not even talking about control where sometimes a guy can command a pitch but can't control his entire arsenal: he cannot command a single one of his pitches on any given night, most nights in fact.

What do you even do with a guy like that?  He's not going to magically find it out of the pen, in fact it might be more amplified given the higher leverage and possibility of coming in out of the stretch more often than not.

Gotta keep trying him as a starter for now and hope for better.

One thing I'd like to see is a SHORT LEASH.  There's no reason to burn through so many pitches with him.  If he's made it 5 innings through 90 pitches with 3 runs more often than not that should be it for him.  It seems the Sox have an outdated philosophy when it comes to developing young starters.   Not every guy is going to be able to give you 6-7 innings all the time or even 5.  In today's game, carrying 13 relievers, you can afford to have a guys like that, especially when you're trying to build them up confidence wise.  I don't think Lopez is developing good habits being left out to dry early in his career.

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

While I'm as frustrated with the kid as anybody he's still young enough to where you keep trotting him out and hope something clicks or he slowly can improve to bad 4th decent 5th starter territory for next year and so on after.

I don't think anybody has to do much of a deep dive into his numbers to find why he struggles just watching it's clear he has zero command of any pitch.  I'm not even talking about control where sometimes a guy can command a pitch but can't control his entire arsenal: he cannot command a single one of his pitches on any given night, most nights in fact.

What do you even do with a guy like that?  He's not going to magically find it out of the pen, in fact it might be more amplified given the higher leverage and possibility of coming in out of the stretch more often than not.

One thing I'd like to see is a SHORT LEASH.  There's no reason to burn through so many pitches with him.  If he's made it 5 innings through 90 pitches with 3 runs more often than not that should be it for him.  It seems the Sox have an outdated philosophy when it comes to developing young starters.   Not every guy is going to be able to give you 6-7 innings all the time or even 5.  In today's game, carrying 13 relievers, you can afford to have a guys like that, especially when you're trying to build them up confidence wise.  I don't think Lopez is developing good habits being left out to dry early in his career.

Agree with this completely. And I'm assuming it is Cooper who is insisting on a certain amount of innings from his starters come hell or high water.

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Agree with this completely. And I'm assuming it is Cooper who is insisting on a certain amount of innings from his starters come hell or high water.

It definitely is.

I agree that Lopez has to keep pitching in the rotation as well.  But maybe try something different and pull him after 5 if he has a good outing.  Try to build his confidence by letting the bullpen blow the game instead of Lopez.  😂

Edited by Moan4Yoan

3 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Lopez stays up in the Majors and Cease stays down in the Minors. It's absolutely insane.

Cease is going to be up soon, lots of rumblings pointing towards the next week or two.  It remains to be seen if that actually comes to fruition, but I can't say I'm mad that they're giving him time to work out things with the juiced ball in AAA (which he's showing that he's adjusted very well). 

9 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I agree.  Ricky should try the use of a relief starter...than go to Lopez.  New age thinking so don't expect to see it.

It's very frustrating to watch him pitch.  He obviously has great stuff, and he's shown some flashes of brilliance.  But he's very inconsistent and leaves way too many pitches up to be destroyed.  He seems to pitch well for 2-3 innings and them implodes spectacularly.

I think he needs to keep pitching at the ML level, but I wouldn't mind seeing a shorter leash.

He's young and has potential.  Let's hope he can make the necessary adjustments like Giolito did.

The Lopez situation is frustrating, but the obvious problem is, that when you have no depth, you can't replace him when you send him down. I thought he could be a decent major league pitcher. Maybe he still can be. I just hope his confidence isn't destroyed by going out there every fifth day to get hammered.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

No. Keeping running him out there every 5th day. 

I believe he only has one minor league option remaining, and I do not think this is the time to waste that. Keep trotting him out there for now. 

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

Lopez should work fast. Let his stuff speak for itself. Not be tentative. Send him down to revamp his style.

I agree.  I've made this point two dozen times.  He should act like he's in charge...not the hitter.