What options does Renteria have with Yonder Alonso?

TBrown54

36 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

You keep pushing this out there when they've admitted mistakes in the past and DFA'd several veterans (some highly paid) that were severely underperforming.  This is a tired argument man.  Yes, they probably want to give him opportunities to try and get out of it so they can attempt to trade him for a bag of balls or a washing machine, but don't act like they're too scared to cut bait with certain sunk costs. 

Maybe two in one season is too much to admit (Ervin Santana).

6 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

You keep pushing this out there when they've admitted mistakes in the past and DFA'd several veterans (some highly paid) that were severely underperforming.  This is a tired argument man.  Yes, they probably want to give him opportunities to try and get out of it so they can attempt to trade him for a bag of balls or a washing machine, but don't act like they're too scared to cut bait with certain sunk costs. 

Outside of Keppinger and Danks can you tell me who they cut / release with a lot of money on the table? Serious question. They didn't cut Dunn for example. The Sox have never understood the concept of "sunk costs" because as with managers JR does not like to pay people not to work. Two or three guys cut over several  seasons to me doesn't indicate a willingness to can somebody who is totally and completely terrible. 

And I know some of the people in this front office personally. I can tell you there are some huge ego's roaming the halls there and you better believe they do not like to be embarrassed.

6 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Ervin Santana signed a minor league deal, to act like he was a high profile off-season signing is incredibly disingenuous.

Had he made the club he was going to be paid 4.5 million if I remember right. Because of a clause in his deal he was only paid a small pittance of that when the Sox let him go. I credit the Sox for doing that, he was awful however that wasn't a lot of money they had to eat.

11 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

But DFA'ing him makes the front office looks bad doesn't it? Don't think for a second that isn't a factor in all this, not with some of the ego's running things. 

I don't doubt that the FO gave him 2+ months of shitty non-performance as cover for yet another vet mistake.  But running him out there over and over going forward serves absolutely no purpose.  He is not part of the future, there is nothing further to evaluate in his (lack of) performance, and there are AAA/AAAA hitters more deserving of his roster spot.  If the FO cares about putting together a productive roster moving forward, there is absolutely zero reason Alonso should remain on the roster period.

Edited by SouthWallace
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, NWINFan said:

One simple option is stop batting him fourth. We don't need to relive Adam Dunn and LaRoache.

I would be ecstatic to relive Dunn compared to this. Dunn actually had a couple of very nice seasons. 

29 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Wouldn't exactly call them nice, but def better than his first Sox season, or Alonso's...

One was nice (2012). 2013 was less nice, but still much better than Alonso.

41 HR's 96 RBI's and an All-Star appearance in 2012... I know his WAR was only 1.6 - but I'd kill for that about now from Alonso. lol

Dunn had legitimate power to be reckoned with during his time here. Yeah, he was a pain in the ass a lot of the time - but the f**ker could also run into one at any moment, against any pitcher and shoot it to the moon. You had a legitimate hope for that every AB.

Alonso has a very legitimate ability to... uh... line/ground the ball somewhat hard directly into the shift. Then, every once in rare while - he'll accidentally elevate one which sneaks over the wall. Inciting a "Hey, look... holy shit! How about that?" from the crowd. lol

Edited by Richie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Outside of Keppinger and Danks can you tell me who they cut / release with a lot of money on the table? Serious question. They didn't cut Dunn for example. The Sox have never understood the concept of "sunk costs" because as with managers JR does not like to pay people not to work. Two or three guys cut over several  seasons to me doesn't indicate a willingness to can somebody who is totally and completely terrible. 

And I know some of the people in this front office personally. I can tell you there are some huge ego's roaming the halls there and you better believe they do not like to be embarrassed.

You and I both know those are the two higher paid sunk costs that they parted ways with, which I said in the original post that some (not all) were "highly paid". Besides, I would find it very plausible that there are big egos in the FO considering some are ex-players and I'm sure some others that weren't players have their share of big-headedness. Most normal people don't want to be embarrassed so I don't think it'd be any different for them honestly. They tried something and it didn't work out. It sucks but it happens.  But since you asked me to name some, I went back to 2013-14ish to find a few: Latos, Rollins, Navarro (trade), Holland, Bonafacio, (include Bruce Rondon, Jacob Turner, Volstad, Big Pelf, Ervin, etc., if you're feeling dangerous).

Now quite obviously, some names & money spent here is more significant than others, but the point remains. They aren't afraid to cut bait on the incredibly putrid performances by sunk costs, which is what I said. By DFAing/releasing Alonso before his option vests, they'll actually be saving themselves more money in the future, so I'd think that would be more in their interests instead of being stubborn about a gamble that didn't pay off and paying him the same next year to prove some ill-advised point.

Edited by Sleepy Harold

10 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Ervin Santana signed a minor league deal, to act like he was a high profile off-season signing is incredibly disingenuous.

If you add up the offseason acquisitions who have been terrible, haven’t played, or have already been cut loose, it’s pretty bad.  Like $40+ million bad.

If you look at the Tigs they pick up lots of vets who don't do much and then move along. It is pretty common outside the world of Sox drama queens. Better to look at a pic of the owner with piles of money. 

For as painful as it is to watch Alonso, just remember that Dunn got 450+ ABs in 2011... and hit .159

ONE.FIFTY.NINE.

If I am being honest here, I'd rather watch Adam Engel run out two-hoppers to the second baseman than see another Alonso AB. I would hope Skole would get called up at some point to take Alonso's ABs. I can't imagine any scenario where Alonso's agent could file a grievance related to suppressing ABs to avoid a vesting option when the player is terrible and there are multiple guys knocking down the door in AAA.

I feel bad for Alonso. He was brought here as a gimmick by a front office that couldn't close the deal on Machado. Alonso is the fat chick at the college house party you flirt with because you know her rommate is hot AF. Sox got burned by their own flame. 

10 hours ago, Richie said:

One was nice (2012). 2013 was less nice, but still much better than Alonso.

41 HR's 96 RBI's and an All-Star appearance in 2012... I know his WAR was only 1.6 - but I'd kill for that about now from Alonso. lol

Dunn had legitimate power to be reckoned with during his time here. Yeah, he was a pain in the ass a lot of the time - but the f**ker could also run into one at any moment, against any pitcher and shoot it to the moon. You had a legitimate hope for that every AB.

Alonso has a very legitimate ability to... uh... line/ground the ball somewhat hard directly into the shift. Then, every once in rare while - he'll accidentally elevate one which sneaks over the wall. Inciting a "Hey, look... holy shit! How about that?" from the crowd. lol

Wow, I totally forgot Dunn hit 41 homers in 2012.  I just remember all of the bad 😂😂.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'd really like them to DFA Alonso and Castillo and bring up Palka and Collins. The $15M is sunk cost and there are no financial costs next season. 

I will repeat.  Castillo serves a purpose on this team. You calling up Collins to sit on the bench 5 days a week?  You calling up Collins to make McCann the back up.  The only way you can get Collins DH at bats where he probably should be most of the time is keeping Castillo around.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The fact that he is sitting and his option situation, indicates to me the end of the Yonder Alonso Experience is coming soon.  

Let's hope so. Would be pretty hilarious if the Sox DFA him and then activate Jon Jay from the IL to replace him. 

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I will repeat.  Castillo serves a purpose on this team. You calling up Collins to sit on the bench 5 days a week?  You calling up Collins to make McCann the back up.  The only way you can get Collins DH at bats where he probably should be most of the time is keeping Castillo around.  

Collins gets Alonso's spot, not Castillo's IMO.  Probably the reason why Palka hasn't come back up after finding a groove again in Charlotte too.  

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Hopes and prayers.

Cut his sorry ass, let Jay stay in Florida, and call up Palka.

Palka is 5/35 in June.  His season average is down to .239 in AAA.  I don't think now is the best time to call him up.  

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I have no preference.  Replace Alonso with anyone, as long as his option doesn’t vest.

They are not going to let his option vest.  They will just release him in August if they need to.