Mazara Returns, Mercedes Optioned, Lambert to 45 day IL

southsider2k5

17 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Damn Yermin only got one AB.

Hopefully this is not his only AB of his mlb career.

Could turn out that way albeit I could see a team like the orioles or royals take a shot at him.

He obviously has no future with the Sox as they will have like 4 DHs next year (abreu, vaughn, EE, collins and other guys like eloy who at least need some days at DH as a breather).

Still great for him at least he got that AB and maybe he gets another chance if somebody gets injured or covid.

Nicky is still on this team just because of depth. If Anderson doesn't get hurt you have Leury as your 5OF and Nicky is gone. But as currently constructed he's going to be on the team a little while longer. 

The day we get rid of all of our old 2017 guys, the happier I'll be. No offense on them, but it's time to turn the page on the Nickys, Palka, Leury's, Engels of the world. They're dime a dozen players that you can replace for cheaper with a strong system. 

I will say Engel has grown on me over the past few years with his defense and growing bat. Leury is fine too, just at a certain point he's going to get older, cost more, and lose a step.

Just now, Dominikk85 said:

Hopefully this is not his only AB of his mlb career.

Could turn out that way albeit I could see a team like the orioles or royals take a shot at him.

He obviously has no future with the Sox as they will have like 4 DHs next year (abreu, vaughn, EE, collins and other guys like eloy who at least need some days at DH as a breather).

Still great for him at least he got that AB and maybe he gets another chance if somebody gets injured or covid.

In reality, I am sure he will get another chance.  Rosters are going to be crazy churning this year with COVID and injuries from players not being ready.

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

Nicky is still on this team just because of depth. If Anderson doesn't get hurt you have Leury as your 5OF and Nicky is gone. But as currently constructed he's going to be on the team a little while longer. 

The day we get rid of all of our old 2017 guys, the happier I'll be. No offense on them, but it's time to turn the page on the Nickys, Palka, Leury's, Engels of the world. They're dime a dozen players that you can replace for cheaper with a strong system. 

I will say Engel has grown on me over the past few years with his defense and growing bat. Leury is fine too, just at a certain point he's going to get older, cost more, and lose a step.

Engel and Leury are nice depth pieces moving forward, especially Engel. If Engel is our 4th OF on the next Sox playoff team, I'm perfectly fine with that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

ave Leury as your 5OF and Nicky is gone. But as currently constructed he's going to be on the team a little while longer. 

I will say Engel has grown on me over the past few years with his defense and gr

Eh, Engel can't hit but his elite defense and speed are hardly a dime a dozen, he's a pretty good 4th OF and Leury can't hit for power or walk but he's ok at many positions and can hit for a decent average and run a bit, good utility guy.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

At least for his sake it happened while he was on a major league roster.  He is going to get a full year of service time and 40% of a major league salary out of it, if nothing else.

Yes and he’ll get the mlb pension. But to be close to majors, get TJ, recover, get to majors during a season without fans or family to see you, then a possible career ending injury after only a few games...just sucks. 

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Yes and he’ll get the mlb pension. But to be close to majors, get TJ, recover, get to majors during a season without fans or family to see you, then a possible career ending injury after only a few games...just sucks. 

Oh it sucks for sure.  If it is TJS, the odds are very real that he never pitches again, or his stuff is reduced enough that he never gets back to the majors.  But for his sake, at least he gets some MLB benefits out of it, instead of being on the outside looking in.

9 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

Eh, Engel can't hit but his elite defense and speed are hardly a dime a dozen, he's a pretty good 4th OF and Leury can't hit for power or walk but he's ok at many positions and can hit for a decent average and run a bit, good utility guy.

My thoughts exactly. Engel though is sort of risky because at times his bat has been so bad it's not ML caliber if he can keep it in the .680-700 ops range he can have a role on a club.

10 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

My thoughts exactly. Engel though is sort of risky because at times his bat has been so bad it's not ML caliber if he can keep it in the .680-700 ops range he can have a role on a club.

He's def made some changes to his swing and so far so good.  He's quicker to the ball, by a lot.

37 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

Agreed this notion that both of them are a dime a dozen is miscast. Honestly I'd like to see Garcia locked up since hes a FA after this year (2-3 years with an option). Engel being the short side of a platoon and providing that defense in an asset, I welcome him to the be 4th outfielder on our next play off team.

1 minute ago, beautox said:

Agreed this notion that both of them are a dime a dozen is miscast. Honestly I'd like to see Garcia locked up since hes a FA after this year (2-3 years with an option). Engel being the short side of a platoon and providing that defense in an asset, I welcome him to the be 4th outfielder on our next play off team.

Yep I'm with you, Leury is actually one of the few success stories Rick Hahn has from pre-rebuild trades. Identifying him for Rios was a coup.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

That's the sad part. But also glad this is where we are in life. 2 years ago he'd have a solid chance to be 2020's Daniel Palka. Truth is both guys have SOME talent & are nice guys. But they belong on the 2017 Sox or the 2020 Royals. There's a chance they turn out to be a late bloomers and the real deal, but likely a Palka year is the best you'll ever get out of them - not part of the real future. He probably should've gotten his shot late last year and then tried to flip him in the off-season. Wish him well, but in this current state, you've got to get those AB's to EE, McCann, Collins in that order. 

Hopefully he can catch on with a bottom dweller for a few seasons and make a bit of money for his family. 

Palka headed for Korea and taking Saladino's spot due to injury.

2 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Again, I pointed out to you that there are also 5 OFs already.   

If the point is you just want another glove instead of a DH guy, then Delmonico isnt' that.   Call up Basabe or Gonzalez then. 

I don't understand why you and Ricky want to die on this Delmonico hill.   

They found their thrill on Delmonico Hill