The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The game has always been about the players for dusty, never ever about dusty.

To the contrary, the game has always been about Tony and what he gets out of HIS players. They are polar opposites.

Tony larussa is the joe west of managers. Thinks fans pay to watch him count on his fingers how long the replay timer is lol

Exactly. This season shoulda been about the TEAM, the players. We have a ton of young talented marketable guys. Yet somehow this is the Tony La Russa show.

You know how my theory for the TLR hire is that quite simply the guy they want to lead this decade of Sox baseball wasn’t/isn’t available yet.  So hire TLR as a little placeholder.  

But maybe the end game of this plan is to have TLR vacate the seat by June and Ozzie is forced to step in.  The rest is history.  

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

You know how my theory for the TLR hire is that quite simply the guy they want to lead this decade of Sox baseball wasn’t/isn’t available yet.  So hire TLR as a little placeholder.  

But maybe the end game of this plan is to have TLR vacate the seat by June and Ozzie is forced to step in.  The rest is history.  

This is stupid. 

• Like 7
  • Fire 3

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

How does Dusty answer the tough reporters now that his son is too old to sit on his lap and help him dodge questions?

I wish Tony would use whatever large adult sons he has to dodge questions instead of answering them like an idiot. 

• Haha 4

Ozzie Guillen would be dropping F bombs left and right to either light a spark or defend his players.

Can never take that away from him.

Just saw a interview Big Hurt had with Mark Buehrle on YouTube a couple weeks ago and he was talking about how he loved Ozzie as a manager because he said how it was. If you were getting sent down he said Ozzie would tell you exactly why you were getting sent down. Didn’t want anything hanging in the balance or any confusion. He said Ozzie and Jerry Manuel couldn’t have been more different.

What I don't get is does TLR really think fans are going to back him when he's calling out a player who is currently a local folk hero?  My guess is that he basically doesn't give a shit what the fans think but it's still perplexing.

1 minute ago, Nick_Schwam said:

Ozzie Guillen would be dropping F bombs left and right to either light a spark or defend his players.

Can never take that away from him.

Just saw a interview Big Hurt had with Mark Buehrle on YouTube a couple weeks ago and he was talking about how he loved Ozzie as a manager because he said how it was. If you were getting sent down he said Ozzie would tell you exactly why you were getting sent down. Didn’t want anything hanging in the balance or any confusion. He said Ozzie and Jerry Manuel couldn’t have been more different.

LaRussa stepping down and Ozzie taking over for the rest of 2021 would be dope at this point.

• Like 3

Just now, manbearpuig said:

LaRussa stepping down and Ozzie taking over for the rest of 2021 would be dope at this point.

I would love that. ESPN 30 for 30 should do an entire show on Ozzie. I know most of the country wouldn't care to watch, but it could be so well done that it'd be interesting for all. He had Chicago in his hip pocket, coulda probably been manager forever and unofficial Mayor of Rush Street but his ego/mouth whatever u want to call it, ruined his managerial career. I'm glad he's been in the studio for some time now. I don't get the show here. I bet he's entertaining. I've always had trouble understanding him listening to interviews, though, when he starts talking fast.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Just let Abreu be the Player-Manager

Why not Justin Jirschele?  I thought he was a prime candidate to be the next Sox manager a year or two ago.  Did his stock drop with the organization?

If people are suggesting a return of Ozzie, or as you suggest a Player-Manager Abreu, then I'm going to lobby for my man, Carl Everett for Sox manager.  At least he'll bring an edge to the team and he'll always have the player's backs.  Either Carl or AJ Pierzynski would work too.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Why not Justin Jirschele?  I thought he was a prime candidate to be the next Sox manager a year or two ago.  Did his stock drop with the organization?

If people are suggesting a return of Ozzie, or as you suggest a Player-Manager Abreu, then I'm going to lobby for my man, Carl Everett for Sox manager.  At least he'll bring an edge to the team and he'll always have the player's backs.  Either Carl or AJ Pierzynski would work too.  

I love an Ozzie with AJ bench coach.  Set for the next 25 years

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

BTW this is all 5D Hahn mind chess.  He knew the only way Ozzie could return would be if the people overwhelmingly called for him.  The only way for that to happen?  Hire TLR

The Greatest Team on Earth, shouldn't really matter who the manager is, they should be able to overcome it, amirite?

And not even sure Hahn's capable of 3 or 4-D chess, let alone 5.

Let's just hope it doesn't end up in Yermin being purged from the team (instead of TLR).

Edited by caulfield12

I have a question. Is the problem re. unwritten rules that Yermin hit it out of the park on a 3-0 pitch? If it's 3-1 is it OK to hit it out? I was just wondering what the hitter is supposed to do according to the unwritten rules.

Does anybody know? I'd think drawing a walk would be against the unwritten rules. Pretty lame to not just swing at everything, right? Are you supposed to strike out? Act like a clown and just take wild swings? Maybe that's what the next player batting against a position player should do. Make a mockery of the game and just swing as soon as the pitcher releases the ball or swing after the catcher actually catches it. This gets me more mad the more I think about it.

Am I correctly assuming it's OK to bash the 3-1 pitch out of the park but not 3-0 when a position player is in? Frickin absurd. I hope the Sox throw at the Twins tomorrow. Somebody has to be hit in retaliation for this b.s. I'd plunk the guy who hit 3 homers tonight. Why not? 

Edited by greg775
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

I have a question. Is the problem re. unwritten rules that Yermin hit it out of the park on a 3-0 pitch? If it's 3-1 is it OK to hit it out? I was just wondering what the hitter is supposed to do according to the unwritten rules.

Does anybody know? I'd think drawing a walk would be against the unwritten rules. Pretty lame to not just swing at everything, right? Are you supposed to strike out? Act like a clown and just take wild swings? Maybe that's what the next player batting against a position player should do. Make a mocker of the game and just swing as soon as the pitcher releases the ball or swing after the catcher actually catches it. This gets me more mad the more I think about it.

Am I correctly assuming it's OK to bash the 3-1 pitch out of the park but not 3-0 when a position player is in? Frickin absurd.

I really want to see Hamilton lay down a bunt in a situation like that. Heads would explode if that happened. 

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Does anybody know? I'd think drawing a walk would be against the unwritten rules. Pretty lame to not just swing at everything, right? Are you supposed to strike out? Act like a clown and just take wild swings? Maybe that's what the next player batting against a position player should do. Make a mockery of the game and just swing as soon as the pitcher releases the ball or swing after the catcher actually catches it. This gets me more mad the more I think about it.

Am I correctly assuming it's OK to bash the 3-1 pitch out of the park but not 3-0 when a position player is in? Frickin absurd.

Their own player Nelson Cruz said nothing was wrong with it because he wasn’t showing up an actual pitcher by swinging 3-0....

I'm not sure we have anything to worry about, people. TLR will either be completely tuned out by the players within the month, or arrested for driving drunk again. The guy is CLEARLY a fucking alcoholic. Everything he says, he says with a scent of Jim Beam on his breath.

What a terrible fucking decision to hire this piece of shit. But, not at all surprising, given JR's history.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Unless a player is undermining the clubhouse and a jerk hurting the rest of the team while being a darling with the media...

you always protect your players in public. Last night just confirmed this weird, weird time we are in:

- We have a great, young, fun team that fights like hell for each other

- Our owner whose main priority is making sure baseball labor doesn't make more than he thinks they should hired a manager whose main priority is making sure baseball players play the rules he thinks they should

Not white sox players for either...baseball players. Then their second-order concern is, you know, if the white sox are good, great. But most importantly that everyone else know that they are standing up for how they think baseball should operate.

With this fun, incredible team stuck in the middle. Ain't it always the way.

• Like 1