Lorretta's Lounge renamed after TLR

DoUEvenShift

Yet this year, Loretta’s Lounge abruptly changed its name to La Russa’s lounge, after manager Tony La Russa. Loretta’s sign was not only taken down, but also, Soto said, “The word we got from the White Sox it that, you know was thrown out; it was disposed of.”

https://www.audacy.com/670thescore/sports/chicago-white-sox/white-sox-rename-lounge-tony-la-russa-in-place-beloved-concessions-worker

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Yet this year, Loretta’s Lounge abruptly changed its name to La Russa’s lounge, after manager Tony La Russa. Loretta’s sign was not only taken down, but also, Soto said, “The word we got from the White Sox it that, you know was thrown out; it was disposed of.”

https://www.audacy.com/670thescore/sports/chicago-white-sox/white-sox-rename-lounge-tony-la-russa-in-place-beloved-concessions-worker

The inanimate object changed its name? Surely you can write better than this.

11 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No, I asked you what tlr ever did or won to have some name change there -- the woman he replaced had 60 years service. You made some laughably snide comment "informing me" about tlr storied tenure with the organization lol

Ray: Besides the name, did they also put up a plaque commemorating the lady and her 60 years? .I doubt it since the family complained they didn't get the sign back.  Maybe some marketing geek got a brilliant idea to rename the section since he/she had no clue who the lady was.  The family should be insulted with all the time she and her daughter put in w this organization. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ron883 said:

I think people like tray and Green Line  liked the La Russa signing at first, and maybe they still do to an extent, but everybody sees the stupid mistakes he makes in game and out of the game. Those guys know he's done a bunch of dumb ass shit this year. Hell, Green Line railed on Ricky more than anybody. He's not oblivious to Tony's shit managing these year.

But TLR is such a controversial figure to a good chunk of members here, and everybody knows that. It's such an easy way to get under certain member's skin. They could admit their guy TLR has made some mistakes, or instead they could just ramp up their defense of him, trigger a bunch of people and laugh about it. They go with the latter. 

I do see the stupid mistakes and I've called them out whenever I see them, especially in the moment when I participate in the game threads.  I just think that the hate gets way overblown on here and in totality I think he's a much better manager than Rick Renteria, no doubt in my mind about that.  I hate most of the bunts he calls and the bullpen use has been questionable, especially in the NYY series.

That said I don't think he should be fired and when I see stupid stuff like people complaining about "Coded Language" when he compliments another player on a team or crying about a concession stand sign, I feel compelled to offer a different perspective to the echo chamber.

Bernstein covered this earlier and there are some questions with this story;

The plaque is hanging in the stadium next to plaques of Jim Thome and Hawk Harrelson.  pretty good company in the non-statue individuals of the stadium, also a better place to receive recognition than some non-descript corner of the stadium.

The name of the area may have been changed prior to hiring Tony there has been no answer to this yet...maybe prior to 2020 season.  LaRussa's Lounge in 2020 is a name that people could have related to and in 2020 this would have been a non-story and nobody would care.

I would guess that the old hanging sign was converted to he new one.  Why would they just throw it out as opposed to replacing Loretta with LaRussa on it.

This makes more sense to me than the White Sox ripping a plaque off the wall and threw it out to get the new manager's name on something that zero people in the park ever pay attention too but is used to locate and manage sections/areas of the park logistically but let's all feign outrage over this.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Bernstein covered this earlier and there are some questions with this story;

The plaque is hanging in the stadium next to plaques of Jim Thome and Hawk Harrelson.  pretty good company in the non-statue individuals of the stadium, also a better place to receive recognition than some non-descript corner of the stadium.

The name of the area may have been changed prior to hiring Tony there has been no answer to this yet...maybe prior to 2020 season.  LaRussa's Lounge in 2020 is a name that people could have related to and in 2020 this would have been a non-story and nobody would care.

I would guess that the old hanging sign was converted to he new one.  Why would they just throw it out as opposed to replacing Loretta with LaRussa on it.

This makes more sense to me than the White Sox ripping a plaque off the wall and threw it out to get the new manager's name on something that zero people in the park ever pay attention too but is used to locate and manage sections/areas of the park logistically but let's all feign outrage over this.

Yup.  As with so many stories these days, the initial report that causes so much anger and outrage is misleading but the followup correction/clarification will never get as much press.

"Per the Sun Times, the plaque dedicated to Micele is still in place at the seating area"

She has a plaque dedicated to her still hanging up.  I'm sure the big overhanging sign just had letters flipped around.  The description that it was "trashed" is also just silly and over the top.  How was it "trashed" rather than just changed.

4 hours ago, Green Line said:

Yup.  As with so many stories these days, the initial report that causes so much anger and outrage is misleading but the followup correction/clarification will never get as much press.

"Per the Sun Times, the plaque dedicated to Micele is still in place at the seating area"

She has a plaque dedicated to her still hanging up.  I'm sure the big overhanging sign just had letters flipped around.  The description that it was "trashed" is also just silly and over the top.  How was it "trashed" rather than just changed.

Because the family literally said it was thrown out?

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Because the family literally said it was thrown out?

It was probably filled with bugs and bird poop from being outside so long.  Biohazard liability that they couldn't give to a poor unsuspecting familly.

Ok.  I'm done with the story now.

Edited by Green Line

33 minutes ago, Green Line said:

It was probably filled with bugs and bird poop from being outside so long.  Biohazard liability that they couldn't give to a poor unsuspecting familly.

Ok.  I'm done with the story now.

Ok, so it literally was trashed... and you asked why that would be reported. Weird stuff.

4 minutes ago, zisk said:

The worst part is she still works there. 60 F**king years. They really do deserve our scorn for this. Some times people show you who

they truly are, in the smallest of ways.

No she passed away in 2014. One of her daughters works at the park still, IIRC.

5 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

So the family member takes a whole shit on the Sox on the internet an fails to mention that the Sox are still honoring Loretta with a plaque in the same section? 

I'm surprised we haven't seen a GoFundMe for them yet. 

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

Just when I thought I couldn't be more opposed to the ownership and FO, they go do this, and prove that they can always 1-up themselves in that category. 

Not only is it a heartless slap in the face to the only other group of people who make a ballpark worth going to aside from the players (the workers who keep facilities going), they also have to name it after some guy who has so many accolades already that he probably didn't even care, if he knew about it at all.  TLR already has enough things named after him at this point.  The only other thing TLR needs named after him going forward is a headstone.