6/22: Chicago White Sox @ Pittsburgh 6:05 PM CDT

13 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

The greatest player in White Sox history 

And he sounded he knew something about hitting. Pointed out how Abreu was trying to pull everything instead of going with the pitches. Hey, Tony, why don't you tell him to stop trying do more than the opposition is  giving him? Hey, Tony, are you out there somewhere?

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

My biggest fear is how it will cost us in the coming years.  Crochet is getting nowhere near enough innings to even be a starter by 2023.  Kopech is going to struggle to get enough innings in his current role to be fully ramped up to start for 2022.  Vaughn is being asked to learn how to adjust to major league hitting in a quasi platoon role.  So not only are they failing to develop them appropriately, we’re burning through valuable service time.

Believe JR's timeframe much smaller, in a few years it will be someone else's (likely his son's) problem.

The only spending I've heard about since Hahn's "my team is on the floor" comments is the family actively buying out minority shareholders, paying pennies on the dollar because they have no other options to cash out.

2 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

And he sounded he knew something about hitting. Pointed out how Abreu was trying to pull everything instead of going with the pitches. Hey, Tony, why don't you tell him to stop trying do more than the opposition is  giving him? Hey, Tony, are you out there somewhere?

I wasn't born yet during Frank's best years but looking at his numbers I'm seeing a guy with Abreu's power, Grandal's plate discipline and Madrigal's contact ability.

3 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

That's not Tony's fault. Abreu won MVP last year and knows what he needs to do from a fundamental stand point. He just isn't doing it. 

been thinking a lot about Mercedes lately and something popped into my head

what if somebody (coach/teammate/manager/agent) made it apparent to Yermin that he would not be getting regular PT next year.  like, in his mind, he was gonna play himself into a position even though it's clear to everyone breathing that Vaughn is a starter going forward as the DH/1B/LF.  Maybe that's what caused his slump.  I'm sure the league adjusting is part of it but I can't help but think he had a wake up call that he will be coming off the bench next year

this situation is more likely to me than the Tony curse or whatever

Edited by joesaiditstrue

31 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Is it regression or is it just going through a rough patch, as all teams, even the best ones, go through? 

Hard to know, really, especially with all the injuries. Shades of 2020 and 2012 though.

The rough patch is on the field. 

Just now, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I wasn't born yet during Frank's best years but looking at his numbers I'm seeing a guy with Abreu's power, Grandal's plate discipline and Madrigal's contact ability.

Aim higher, much higher.

Frank's hitting is comparable to Mike Trout, at bat, though Mike has the advantage as a fielder and base runner. Keep in mind Frank's averages were weighed down because of his injuries, and playing until 40. Mike Trout is still at his peak, will likely regress hitting, will definitely regress in terms of averages if he plays until 40.

• HR/162 Mike Trout 39; Frank Thomas 36 
  • OBP Frank Thomas and Mike Trout Tied at .419 
  • OPS Mike Trout 1.002 Frank Thomas .974
  • MVPs Mike Trout 3 Frank Thomas 2

29 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I never saw Frank Thomas swing at a bad pitch. He had an eye like no one else. I don't expect that from most current Sox players. There is only one Frank Thomas, and we haven't seen anyone like him since he retired. But it is tough to see this offense have one three-up, three down one inning after another. They don't make pitchers work. The Pirates lead off hitter saw something like 24 pitches in three at-bats. That was one reason Giolito wasn't coming out for the seventh. He already had thrown a ton of pitches.

Edited by NWINFan

30 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Take those 3 qualities and amplify them and you might start to come close to prime Frank.  He was just a monster in his prime.

4 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Take those 3 qualities and amplify them and you might start to come close to prime Frank.  He was just a monster in his prime.

In his prime, his at bats were must see tv whenever possible.  Just a joy to watch him hit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MexSoxFan#1 said:

Had a huge inning to go up 3-2 and then that fucking bum Crochet proceeded to shit the bed again.

Sox could have taken control with men on 1st and 3rd and 2-0 count on TA.......he weakly grounded to short.

I'm sure there is extra pressure on TA and Jose this year with all the guys out. But they have not been good in situations where we need them

Something has to give for this team....it could simply mean Yoan starts hitting for power and Yaz becomes more consistent, or/and we make a trade for a bonified hitter. That would help TA and Jose a lot. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2Deep said:

Sox could have taken control with men on 1st and 3rd and 2-0 count on TA.......he weakly grounded to short.

I'm sure there is extra pressure on TA and Jose this year with all the guys out. But they have not been good in situations where we need them

Something has to give for this team....it could simply mean Yoan starts hitting for power and Yaz becomes more consistent, or/and we make a trade for a bonified hitter. That would help TA and Jose a lot. 

Or something gives the other way, the SP comes back to earth and the offense continues to be shitty. Abreu and Moncada are pressing because they're getting no help, Anderson has come back to earth a little and Grandal is having a weird season. 

This feels a lot like 2012. 

3 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Bonafide.  We've had enough of those dick jokes at 2B already, lol.  Although bone-ified is closer to what we need to add to get the offense going again. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Or something gives the other way, the SP comes back to earth and the offense continues to be shitty. Abreu and Moncada are pressing because they're getting no help, Anderson has come back to earth a little and Grandal is having a weird season. 

This feels a lot like 2012. 

That team had 12 rookie pitchers, and was clearly trailing the Tigers in talent until the final two weeks when that became even more readily apparent. 

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That team had 12 rookie pitchers, and was clearly trailing the Tigers in talent until the final two weeks when that became even more readily apparent. 

I mean, with the injuries the Sox have I'm not sure the Indians aren't more talented. 

The Sox don't have anyone close to Jose Ramirez right now. 

Moncada would be if he was hitting for any sort of power but he isn't. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I mean, with the injuries the Sox have I'm not sure the Indians aren't more talented. 

The Sox don't have anyone close to Jose Ramirez right now. 

The Indians greatest strength is pitching. They are really hurting there now. I agree that both offenses are comparable at the moment. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

The Indians greatest strength is pitching. They are really hurting there now. I agree that both offenses are comparable at the moment. 

I'd give a slight edge to Cleveland on offense atm. They don't have 5 absolute black holes like the Sox do. 

27 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

He didn't always swing for the fences. 

Absolutely not....that's why he was so great to watch imo.  However, he chose to be a power hitter when he came off the DL in 2005 because that's what the team needed.