2022 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

Final Pipeline draft with both Mayo and Callis doing picks side by side.

https://www.mlb.com/news/final-mlb-mock-draft-2022?t=mlb-draft-coverage

26. White Sox
Callis: Drew Gilbert, OF, Tennessee (No. 32)
It's no secret that the White Sox like Toman. If they miss out on him, they could opt for another of the better pure hitters in the Draft in Gilbert, or another prep infielder in Young.

Mayo: Tucker Toman, 3B, Hammond HS, Columbia, S.C. (No. 35)
Toman is the best prep bat still on the board, one that has entered conversations higher than this.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Thanks 1

I prefer we go best talent signable at 26.  After that when you are looking at groups of similar talent, I hope we go very heavy pitching.  When their are talent clusters, I hope we grab lefties in both pitching and hitting as their seems to be a dearth of both in our system.  Adding Montgomery, Colas and Kath was a start to getting some lefties.

• Like 3

BA's latest mock.

Robby Snelling

McQueen HS, Reno, Nev.LHP

Notes:

Total Bonus Pool: $6,289,100
Pick Slot Value: $2,788,000

I’m continuing to tie college pitchers with the White Sox and there should be a number of solid options who make it to this pick—it’s figuring out which one that is a much trickier proposition. Whisenhunt—like Connor Prielipp—could have been a top-15 talent in this class with a full college season under his belt.

Update: Still a lot of college arms linked to the White Sox. It sounds like Gabriel Hughes could be slipping and I wonder if Chicago would be interested in him or another college arm like Jake Bennett who is getting some late helium. Snelling is a name I am increasingly getting comfortable with for this pick, however, so that’s the new selection. I think the White Sox might be one of the teams in on Reggie Crawford for later.

Dart Throw Later Picks: California HS RHP Riley Kelly, Oklahoma State RHP/3B Nolan McLean

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2022-mlb-mock-draft-v-61/

Edited by DirtySox

Reggie Crawford
Connecticut LHP
Notes:
HT: 6-4 | Wt: 235 | B-T: L-L
Commit/Drafted: Royals '19 (37)
Age At Draft: 21.6
BA Grade: 55/Extreme
Tools: Fastball: 70. Slider: 60. Changeup: 40. Control: 45.

Between his talent, limited track record on the mound and medical history, Crawford is one of the biggest wild cards in the draft. Crawford was one of the first of many pitchers in this class to have Tommy John surgery, having the operation last fall that kept him out of action the entire 2022 season. That left him with just eight innings on his resume with Connecticut, plus brief looks last summer in the Cape Cod League and with USA Baseball's Collegiate National Team. When he was healthy, Crawford sat in the mid 90s, touched 99 and flashed a plus slider in the mid 80s. Scouts haven't had much of an opportunity to see him throw a changeup, with command and durability questions that add considerable reliever risk. Crawford had been a two-way player who also played first base, hitting .309/.362/.546 with 14 home runs for the Huskies in 2020 and 2021. He's strongly built, with some scouts giving him well above-average raw power, though his high-octane stuff from the left side has teams preferring him on the mound. Given how many college pitchers have been hurt this year, teams looking for college arms are going to have to tolerate some medical risk, which has a lot of scouts projecting Crawford to go by the second round.

Since they mentioned the Sox maybe being into Crawford with a later pick. Ranked 59th.

Edited by DirtySox

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Prep player please White Sox. Keep stock piling talent in the lower minors.

This is my preference too. I would really like Toman. Like the idea of Snelling as well. My dream scenario would be Cole Young somehow falling to 26 though.