The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I have no idea what this means for the negotiations. Anyone here have any insight into this?

It means nothing. Marty Walsh is a democratic politician and former labor union official. Do you really think the owners would care what he thinks?

Edited by Dick Allen

26 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It means nothing. Marty Walsh is a democratic politician and former labor union official. Do you really think the owners would care what he thinks?

Well they're the ones who asked for mediation, coming up with a mediator they didn't like might be a positive.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 8:57 PM, southsider2k5 said:

So you're happier that your money is going to the billionaire owners instead?  Odd flex.

No, I'm not.  At all.  I've said more than a few times, it's us the fans that get fucked.  I want the owners to make less.  That means charging fans less to go to the games.  I am not pro owner, by any means.

10 hours ago, soulfly said:

No, I'm not.  At all.  I've said more than a few times, it's us the fans that get fucked.  I want the owners to make less.  That means charging fans less to go to the games.  I am not pro owner, by any means.

I think this thinking is the key. Instead of fans taking sides with the players or the owners, we should advocate for our own interests. There's plenty of people and corporate interests who already profit big time. We fans won't profit from a delayed season or some dumb playoff scheme.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, soulfly said:

I don't see where fans will ever see fans paying less to go to games.  I used to go to games in April  in Tampa when I spend winters in Florida. Tampa never drew many fans and average ticket was $10 and free parking ( 2008-2010). Then they raised prices and drew even less fans.  I think they have so few fans they can give you your own row for social distancing.  Yet last  few years they have been begging for a new stadium.  These owners think they are playing Monopoly. Pretty soon stadium rest rooms will be coin operated.  

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Going off of 2020s schedule, we would be four days away from pitchers and catchers starting to report for spring training.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-spring-training-reporting-dates-2020-pitchers-catchers/1ae9szkq7eby41wtmgcckq7hen

2021 was the 17th with a bit tighter of a COVID schedule

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2021-mlb-spring-training-dates-schedule-when-do-pitchers-and-catchers-report-for-all-30-teams/

On 2/7/2022 at 9:12 AM, Kyyle23 said:

Let people watch, let them all enjoy it, don't make it something that only people around major cities can watch and enjoy.  It's the most basic way to grow the game.  The more people in the park enjoying the game, the more fun the game will be for everyone involved.  Instead you have overlapping RSNs killing it for entire states, when we all have high powered computers in our pockets now that can let you watch whatever you want whenever you want to.

MLB creates the need for pirate streams

Yea, even though i'm not in the White Sox blackout area, i still have to use a vpn to watch.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Well they're the ones who asked for mediation, coming up with a mediator they didn't like might be a positive.

MLB: "We would like a federal mediator"

The first ever Secretary of Labor to be the leader of a union offers to help:  "Wait no."

Walsh is also a massive raise the minimum wage guy, so I can't imagine he loves the minor league pay structure introduced by the "Save America's Pastime Act"

• Fire 1

I'm at the point of "I really don't give a fuck about arguing this with other posters anymore because it's been discussed ad nauseam" 

I hope the players can get something concrete out of this for our troubles as fans, and I truly think some of the players' proposals would make for a better on-field product for fans. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm at the point of "I really don't give a fuck about arguing this with other posters anymore because it's been discussed ad nauseam" 

I hope the players can get something concrete out of this for our troubles as fans, and I truly think some of the player's proposals would make for a better on-field product for fans. 

Exactly. We've been talking in circles for 2+ months.

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Those went on "sale" a while back.

Damn...missed out again.  Is there a newsletter I can subscribe to for nonexistent events?  I'd love a pair for that Led Zeppelin reunion tour...I'll put them on the shelf right next to my 1994 White Sox playoff tix.

1 minute ago, wegner said:

Damn...missed out again.  Is there a newsletter I can subscribe to for nonexistent events?  I'd love a pair for that Led Zeppelin reunion tour...I'll put them on the shelf right next to my 1994 White Sox playoff tix.

I will put you on the list right after Clinton indictments.