The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

How many of us work in a field where you have one option for employment or starve?

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read. 

a) MLB is not saying they are cutting everyone's pay to $0 (to "starve").   Players are still going to make a ton of money when this is all done. 

b) There are other leagues around the world (Japan, Korea, Mexico) which will pay you a decent  wage for you not to " starve." 

c) If baseball were to go away for good (which isn't happening), these guys are plenty healthy and some have college education to go find jobs elsewhere to not "starve." 

Edited by HOFHurt35
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read. 

a) MLB is not saying they are cutting everyone's pay to $0 (to "starve").   Players are still going to make a ton of money when this is all done. 

b) There are other leagues around the world (Japan, Korea, Mexico) which will pay you a decent  wage for you not to " starve." 

c) If baseball were to go away for good (which isn't happening), these guys are plenty healthy and some have college education to go find jobs elsewhere to not "starve." 

Would you leave your current job for a 50-75% pay cut...to move halfway around the world, leave your family behind and likely be unable to speak the local language as well?

• Like 1

I think it's time we look at these companies and start forcing all of them to pay better. We're worried about guys getting only $600,000. How about we start there but look at the Walmarts, Amazons, and other companies paying shit wages? We need a surge of unions to start rebuilding a middle class. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Texsox said:

How many of us are working for companies that are making too much money and should be paying their employees more? 

Those working for such a company should be grateful that they have such a stable workplace with a reliable paycheck and good benefits.  There are many people working for companies with little job security and the boss from hell.  If you really have the skills that qualify you for a higher paycheck and are feeling underpaid and underappreciated...get another job.  I realize baseball is an odd deal.  You can't just pick up and leave because the owner owns your soul until you qualify for free agency.  If you are an average payer you probably don't ever get to the point of the high-priced guys.  If you are that average guy (Leury Garcia) you settle for a 3-year contract at $5.5M and pinch yourself to see if this is some kind of a dream.

https://www.startribune.com/labor-woes-just-part-of-mlb-problem-the-biggest-the-game-is-at-odds-with-your-brain/600150128/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=twins

Here’s a new one.  “Repetition suppression” asserted as the reason for declining/apathetic fan interest.

“Baseball's larger problem is a decline in interest. That has been charted in many different ways, but try this one: a recent poll of 1,570 adults showed that more than half have no interest in MLB.”

A lot of us former baseball fans are scientists as well.  Doing science for a living doesn’t mean I necessarily want to watch it for a hobby.

For many of us, watching baseball during the “golden age” of baseball was a lot more interesting than watching baseball today.  Stated another way, the “art” of baseball was a lot more engaging and interesting than the “science” of baseball.”
Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.startribune.com/labor-woes-just-part-of-mlb-problem-the-biggest-the-game-is-at-odds-with-your-brain/600150128/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=twins

Here’s a new one.  “Repetition suppression” asserted as the reason for declining/apathetic fan interest.

“Baseball's larger problem is a decline in interest. That has been charted in many different ways, but try this one: a recent poll of 1,570 adults showed that more than half have no interest in MLB.”

A lot of us former baseball fans are scientists as well.  Doing science for a living doesn’t mean I necessarily want to watch it for a hobby.

For many of us, watching baseball during the “golden age” of baseball was a lot more interesting than watching baseball today.  Stated another way, the “art” of baseball was a lot more engaging and interesting than the “science” of baseball.”

I think there's beauty in both the art and science of it. You can have both and be satisfied. 

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

I have a young friend of the family who was drafted in the 13th round by Oakland approximately 5 or 6 years ago.  His career in baseball was the typical 4 years and had TJ surgery and was done.  He wouldn't trade a minute of his professional baseball career.  As a person, I would always choose to work in a job I liked rather than one that paid more as long as the bills could get paid.   I am not at all in favor of the low minor league salaries as I've stated elsewhere.  I've spoken in favor of raising the minimum starting salary as well.  The low end of the baseball pay scale is not at all where my frustration lies.

I mean, yeah. I've passed up two separate jobs where I'd have been paid probably $20K-$50K more than what I'm currently making so I can stay in my industry, so I get it. You also said "any amount", so either you're moving the goal posts now or you were lying earlier.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

I mean, yeah. I've passed up two separate jobs where I'd have been paid probably $20K-$50K more than what I'm currently making so I can stay in my industry, so I get it. You also said "any amount", so either you're moving the goal posts now or you were lying earlier.

Or really has no respect for himself, seeing as he has said he would basically work for free to play baseball, and someone like Leury Garcia is incredibly lucky to be making what he is making, like the owners are doing him this gigantic favor, yet doesn’t mention the years spent by a player to work on his craft, be able to play multiple positions at the highest level in the sport, etc. To PoppySox, these asshole players should be thanking their lucky stars anyone will pay them! Because after all, when I pay money to go to the ballpark, I’m paying to see Jerry Reinsdorf play against Tom Ricketts, why would I want to see the players?!?

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 2

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Or really has no respect for himself, seeing as he has said he would basically work for free to play baseball, and someone like Leury Garcia is incredibly lucky to be making what he is making, like the owners are doing him this gigantic favor, yet doesn’t mention the years spent by a player to work on his craft, be able to play multiple positions at the highest level in the sport, etc. To PoppySox, these asshole players should be thanking their lucky stars anyone will pay them! Because after all, when I pay money to go to the ballpark, I’m paying to see Jerry Reinsdorf play against Tom Ricketts, why would I want to see the players?!?

Not gonna lie.  I'd watch the train wreck that is front offices playing baseball with their owners.  It would be the worst and best at the same time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Quin said:

That's a little over the top.

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

"Watching baseball during the golden age" the "golden age" of baseball ended 60 years ago. So this person is 80 years old. The golden age was only integrated for like 10 of those years. Real golden. Person is just an old racist hack who the game has passed by.

Edited by Spicy gar