Conforto rejects QO, enters free agency

bmags

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Said at the time - roughly half of those runs were avoidable with better coaching. So while pitching does have its issues, don’t dump blame onto the pitchers for not being able to do things they should never have been asked to do.

Wait, I thought the problem was lack of home field advantage.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Wait, I thought the problem was lack of home field advantage.

Yes, deciding not to try for home field advantage was a bad decision by the White Sox’s coach. It was wrong and a better coach would have recognized that as a possible issue and not done it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So the Braves rested their starters?

No, Fried had a hamstring injury in April and a Blister in June for 2 IL trips. But they also had a rotation that was deeper than the White Sox, without even counting the injuries to Soroka. 

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Cabrera had 4.4, 4.8, 3.5 bWAR in 3/4 seasons before signing.

=12.7/3=4.233

Do we expect Conforto to beat that?

Hmmm….And he got 3/$42 million seven years ago.   Adjust for inflation, $48,666,666.

4/$65 extrapolated out over four seasons, to adjust for Cabrera being older.

Exactly the same contract everyone’s speculating on Conforto receiving to win his services.

Or was Rick Hahn simply overvaluing/overpaying Cabrera…?  

Yes, Cabrera was overpaid after being busted for PED use that clearly affected his baseball abilities. If you want to live and die off bWAR that’s your prerogative, but they aren’t the same players. There are plenty of different metrics that show how much better of a player Conforto is when compared to Cabrera.

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

No, Fried had a hamstring injury in April and a Blister in June for 2 IL trips. But they also had a rotation that was deeper than the White Sox, without even counting the injuries to Soroka. 

Interesting choice of words that the Sox "pushed" innings on to their guy then, when your entire premise was that more should have been pushed on to the team.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

IMO, the Sox SP is good enough to win a world series as is.  They just need to show up.  We have 4 guys who are all TOR caliber pitchers.  Unfortunately, they all flopped in the playoffs.  

Would it be great to add a legit #1? Of course.  But I don't see hte sox handing Scherzer 2/$80M, and I also don't see that ending all that well if they did.  

I actually agree that the Sox rotation as assembled could very well win the world series -- provided they pitch much better and differently than they did in this year's playoffs, of course.  But I still think that a TOR starter is the biggest potential difference-maker in the postseason, where we have the luxury of focusing our attention given the situation in the AL Central.  

I feel like this board is collectively psyching itself into thinking handing Scherzer 35 mil a year is like a top priority.

I would love to have him, but it  would make filling 2B and RF with competent players much more difficult. and, to me, 2B and RF are far bigger priorities than SP. 

I also don't think there's any chance that he signs with anyone besides the Dodgers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bunt Ritual said:

I feel like this board is collectively psyching itself into thinking handing Scherzer 35 mil a year is like a top priority.

I would love to have him, but it  would make filling 2B and RF with competent players much more difficult. and, to me, 2B and RF are far bigger priorities than SP. 

I also don't think there's any chance that he signs with anyone besides the Dodgers.

I agree.  Give me Conforto for 20mil and Verlander for 20 mil over Scherzer for 35 mil and some RFer for 5 mil.

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I agree.  Give me Conforto for 20mil and Verlander for 20 mil over Scherzer for 35 mil and some RFer for 5 mil.

This would be great, and I suspect many of those like myself who are clamoring for a TOR starter would agree.  I haven't heard many "Scherzer or bust" opinions at all.

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

I mean yeah he's max scherzer. 

Sure, but at some point he become upper 30s Max Scherzer.  We saw some signs that may be coming in 21.  Don't get me wrong, Sox sign Max Scherzer for 2/$80M and Conforto for 4/$70M and cruise by $200M payroll ---- no one is happier than I am.  I just also live in reality. 

15 minutes ago, Bunt Ritual said:

Having a top rotation is a much easier road to a title than a top line up.  I know we can all debate whether it is worth it or not, but I get why people would want this.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Said at the time - roughly half of those runs were avoidable with better coaching. So while pitching does have its issues, don’t dump blame onto the pitchers for not being able to do things they should never have been asked to do.

that's magical thinking

They were asked to pitch correct?  And they sucked at it?  It isn't like TLR asked them to make balloon animals.  They were asked to pitch and get outs, which is literally their job.

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

that's magical thinking

I do believe coaching played a major part in the Giolito game.  But Lynn just got flat-out shellacked, and is a poor matchup with the Astros' lineup.  That the pitcher who's arguably our "ace" can't be counted on against a team we're very likely to face in the playoffs is one of the major factors driving me to believe a TOR starter is our top priority.  We have precisely one pitcher I trust against the Astros (Gio), and even then I just "trust" him in the sense I think he can make it to the 5th inning.

Yes, deciding not to try for home field advantage was a bad decision by the White Sox’s coach. It was wrong and a better coach would have recognized that as a possible issue and not done it.

Plz they did not do this. The rested INJURED players so they could be as close to 100% come playoff time rather than play them through injury which may have lost those players for the playoffs. And Yes it cost them homefield and that made a difference. Yet, it still was probably the wisest choice.

No TLR decisions during the playoffs were more of the issue.

1 minute ago, kleedawg said:

Plz they did not do this. The rested INJURED players so they could be as close to 100% come playoff time rather than play them through injury which may have lost those players for the playoffs. And Yes it cost them homefield and that made a difference. Yet, it still was probably the wisest choice.

No TLR decisions during the playoffs were more of the issue.

Totally disagree and think that's a bad summary of the season, but not going through that again so you may have the last word if you want.

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Having a top rotation is a much easier road to a title than a top line up.  I know we can all debate whether it is worth it or not, but I get why people would want this.

I get it, but I just feel like those resources can be better utilized to address actual needs.

In the DS, white sox pitchers had:

35 IP
40 H - bad
41 Ks - good!
18 BBs - very bad

the Atlanta braves had:
35 IP
24 H
48 Ks 
9 BBs

The Milwaukee Brewers had:
34 IP
30 H
13 BBs
33 Ks

The Boston Red Sox had:
39 IP
31 H
11 BBs
46 Ks

The Rays had:
39 IP
56 H (lol)
7 BBs
26 Ks

The dodgers had:
44 IP
29 H
6 BBs
49 Ks

The Giants had:
44 IP
41 H
12 BBs
41 Ks

The Astros offense is very good, but the sox pitching was bad. It walked too many batters, and got behind on so many batters. 

Anyway Max Scherzer threw 8 IP in the NLDS with 12 Ks and a walk.

4 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I do believe coaching played a major part in the Giolito game.  But Lynn just got flat-out shellacked, and is a poor matchup with the Astros' lineup.  That the pitcher who's arguably our "ace" can't be counted on against a team we're very likely to face in the playoffs is one of the major factors driving me to believe a TOR starter is our top priority.  We have precisely one pitcher I trust against the Astros (Gio), and even then I just "trust" him in the sense I think he can make it to the 5th inning.

I think we could have ended up winning that game if we made the perfect sequence...but we lost that game by 5 runs. If your name wasn't Ryan Tepera, you weren't consistently good in this series. No guarantees anybody they threw in there gets outs.

I mean the astros pitchers weren't amazing overall, our offense was a bit successful. but they had 3 really bad pitchers, and the rest were good. Look at the white sox 

image.png