Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They're completely mismanaging the roster. 

It is totally unfair to call them cheap, but the way they're spending their money is just completely unacceptable. 

Agree with this. At this point, I don't really call the organization cheap - i mean, hell, the money has been spent - it's just mind-numbing on how foolish of a job they do in spending it. I 100% feel like I could do a better job then this organization.

They knew they fucked up terribly with the Madrigal deal, but it would have been really bad optics on their talent evaluation if they decline Kimbrel after half a season of poor results. So they compounded the mistake by bringing back Kimbrel with full intention of trading him, overestimated his value only to find out teams aren’t lining up for his service.

Seriously, what a mess this off-season has been. We could have kept Rodon for Kimbrel money but the FO was too worried about saving face.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Agree with this. At this point, I don't really call the organization cheap - i mean, hell, the money has been spent - it's just mind-numbing on how foolish of a job they do in spending it. I 100% feel like I could do a better job then this organization.

The other thing is that they have basically 2 options with the 1B/DH logjam:

1. Trade Abreu to save some cash, hope that two of Vaughn/Sheets/Burger work out

2. Keep Abreu, and trade Vaughn/Sheets/Burger for a RF upgrade

Instead of doing either, they're trying to shove Vaughn and Sheets into RF.  

• Like 1

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

Won't happen because he isn't a reliever, but I would have been fine with signing Greinke on a 1 year deal to be the 5th starter.

Well except he dislikes every thing about Chicago and the White Sox. Then again, getting a borderline Hot pitcher 3-4 years past their expiration date is too much of an opportunity to pass up.

It seems a long shot we get any FA to fill RF, but to me Suzuki is the least effective add, given that he's another RH slugger. The good glove is nice and all, but it's pretty normal to have deficiency in corner OF. That doesn't mean we can put Gavin out there, but you know what I mean.

46 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It seems like certain owners are having a fire sale on purpose to try to prove a point. 

They're having a collective tantrum because of the 23% league minimum raise.

No one saw this cold market coming. We all thought there'd be a flurry of activity to provide some relief after the excruciating February of following tweets about all those shitty, unproductive meetings.

10 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Right, at this point, it isn’t even fair to accuse the Sox of being cheap. They’ve spent the money, they’ve made the trades — the problem is that the last 6-7 transactions they’ve made range from ugly to completely indefensible, even in the moments right after they were made.

It’s not that they aren’t trying, they’re just fucking it up. They’ve rushed to “beat the market” and spent money on free agents they didn’t need, when there were reams of better players available that played positions at hey DID need. Whenever a normal team has a logjam of MLB-ready prospects at a position, they trade them to fill holes elsewhere — the white Sox have instead decided that they have to keep them all and just play them out of position. It’s brutal to watch. Yes, the team is really good but it could be SO much better and it would have required nothing even remotely clever. 

Vaughn got a bad deal, at least so far. I'd be fine if they traded him now for a big need. Or in another scenario, they could let him rake in AAA for a bit, then move him. You could let Gavin DH/1B with Abreu, let him hit 8th, and assess from there. 

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

I think he's a better version of Keuchel, but I get the comparisons. I think pushing Keuchel and Lopez further into depth roles would have been a good idea.

Send $7-9 million to get rid of Keuchel, compound the misallocation by turning around and giving it to Greinke.  Get 'er done, Mater.

2 minutes ago, KBX said:

It seems a long shot we get any FA to fill RF, but to me Suzuki is the least effective add, given that he's another RH slugger. The good glove is nice and all, but it's pretty normal to have deficiency in corner OF. That doesn't mean we can put Gavin out there, but you know what I mean.

They're having a collective tantrum because of the 23% league minimum raise.

No one saw this cold market coming. We all thought there'd be a flurry of activity to provide some relief after the excruciating February of following tweets about all those shitty, unproductive meetings.

Vaughn got a bad deal, at least so far. I'd be fine if they traded him now for a big need. Or in another scenario, they could let him rake in AAA for a bit, then move him. You could let Gavin DH/1B with Abreu, let him hit 8th, and assess from there. 

What, you going with Leury and Engel in RF? 

With the way the Sox are making decisions, they're probably going to allow Keuchel's option to vest. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Send $7-9 million to get rid of Keuchel, compound the misallocation by turning around and giving it to Greinke.  Get 'er done, Mater.

If Kimbrel is still going to be here (unlikely, imo) then I'd rather have Greinke or Tyler Anderson as SP depth than Joe Kelly. Keeping Keuchel as an expensive 6th starter isn't ideal but it shouldn't be the end of the world.

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

If Kimbrel is still going to be here (unlikely, imo) then I'd rather have Greinke or Tyler Anderson as SP depth than Joe Kelly. Keeping Keuchel as an expensive 6th starter isn't ideal but it shouldn't be the end of the world.

Why do you still think Kimbrel being here is unlikely? 

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

The additions of Graveman and Kelly don't make sense if you aren't going to trade Kimbrel. I'm giving them some benefit of the doubt here, but maybe I shouldn't.

I will be stunned if they don’t trade him in the next few weeks. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This board is becoming a tough read. 

It's just a subset of people that seem to enjoy wallowing in misery. It's certainly turning me off from continuing to read the thread.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well except he dislikes every thing about Chicago and the White Sox. Then again, getting a borderline Hot pitcher 3-4 years past their expiration date is too much of an opportunity to pass up.

While I don't expect Greinke to be here for this and other reasons, no one has hated the White Sox more in recent memory than Morneau.

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This board is becoming a tough read. 

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Was just thinking that...sucks to see

4 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

It's just a subset of people that seem to enjoy wallowing in misery. It's certainly turning me off from continuing to read the thread.

Thank you.