Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

9 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

You're the 2nd person doing this BS comparison. 

Keuchel + Kimbrel + the rest of the pile of asses they have gathered via free agency doesn't even get to 50% of the $$$ commitment to Harper / Machado in free agency. 

I think that's where you guys continue to mis-read cheap ass Reinsdorf.  

He's fine paying $180 million in payroll for one season, He just refuses to pay that to one guy for 8 seasons. 

Re-read my post then. It isn't about JR being cheap at this point, he has spent, it's how the money was spent. Not willing pay a star for 8 seasons yet overpaying a bunch of replacement level players EVERY SEASON is basically of the resource allocation criticism. We're heading into year 4 of the Manny/Harper deals, they have been worth every penny since the signing, still in their prime, and no signs of slowing down anytime soon.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I have a bit of curiosity with him.  His numbers tanked hard after the sticky stuff investigations started.  One thing I am curious about was the talk about either stickier ball or a preapproved tack to be able to used for pitchers, and if that could get him back to where he had been, or if the losses are permanent.

To tack on to this...

Pre June 21

3.98 ERA, 4.44 FIP, .263 BAA, .287 BABIP, 62% strike percentage 26BB/49K/9HR in 81.1 IP

Post June 21

6.58 ERA, 6.02 FIP, .316 BAA, .327 BABIP, 60% strike percentage, 33BB/46k/16HR/ in 80 IP

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

Maybe nobody wants to commit 4/5 years.  He could land a 2/3 year deal with an opt out after year 1. Or maybe even a larger 1 year deal.

and that honestly is the best possible outcome for sox. 5/100-120 isn't ideal, but if its year 2 or 3 opt out Sox will know exactly what Colas/Cespedes is and Eloy will probably be close to ready to full Time DH and Vaughn will be full time 1B. 

Just now, thxfrthmmrs said:

Re-read my post then. It isn't about JR being cheap at this point, he has spent, it's how the money was spent. Not willing pay a star for 8 seasons yet overpaying a bunch of replacement level players EVERY SEASON is basically of the resource allocation criticism. We're heading into year 4 of the Manny/Harper deals, they have been worth every penny since the signing, still in their prime, and no signs of slowing down anytime soon.

Could you just fucking imagine if the Sox had Bryce Harper in RF? Could you imagine? 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Could you just fucking imagine if the Sox had Bryce Harper in RF? Could you imagine? 

The biggest miss of their rebuild, to me. Harper might have said no thanks immediately, so maybe there was no shot and Machado was the only option, but Harper was a perfect fit.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

To tack on to this...

Pre June 21

3.98 ERA, 4.44 FIP, .263 BAA, .287 BABIP, 62% strike percentage 26BB/49K/9HR in 81.1 IP

Post June 21

6.58 ERA, 6.02 FIP, .316 BAA, .327 BABIP, 60% strike percentage, 33BB/46k/16HR/ in 80 IP

IIRC, Keuchel looked like he had a splotch of pine tar on his neck during that Cubs start where he got shelled. If it was the sticky stuff that was the problem, then pine tar really didn't help him. Maybe he really needs spider tack back. 

2 minutes ago, almagest said:

The biggest miss of their rebuild, to me. Harper might have said no thanks immediately, so maybe there was no shot and Machado was the only option, but Harper was a perfect fit.

I have this image ingrained in my memory.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Eh, I wouldn't say Machado has been worth every penny, but Harper has. The thing with these mega deals is that the players need to produce a lot at the start so they can off-set the losses towards the end of the deal. If Machado isn't putting up 5-6 WAR every year for you until he's 30-31, it's hard to recoup a lot of that value in the later parts of the deal. So far Machado's had 2 really great months, one decent season, and one subpar season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Don't even bother trying to post anything positive. You'll be labeled a front office shill and and people can't u derstand why you do nothing but defend every move the FO has ever made.

C'mon Ptatc I know I'm annoying to some people because I call a spade a spade. However it usually swings a lot more in the other direction. The whiners, complainers, the eeyore mob whatever you want to call them .What they usually hear is how miserable and unhappy we are and maybe it's time to find another team or hobby that's more relaxing. One longtime mod is famous for that.

It is possible to love your hometown team, love baseball but be a bit unhappy about the way things are going and state your case about it. We whiners don't whine about optimistic people because we see a lot of what they see. They might hear about "rose colored glasses" and "carrying water" once in a while but no one ever tells them " Hey you like the Sox too much , go find another team."

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

5 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Is this accounting for all the missed time from key pieces like Robert and Eloy? 

The Sox win closer to 100 games had they not missed those guys 2/3 of the season.

They weren't the only one though. Yankees were also hit hard with injury (in addition to the expected Severino missed season), Blue Jays lost Springer for half of the season and had their entire bullpen on the IR at one point (they lost way mamy games late inning games during this stretch). Sox also had overachievers like Goodwin, Lamb and Yermin that helped carry the team briefly. Yes, healthy Eloy and Robert would have added 5-6 wins to the ledger, but still wouldn't make up for playing in a tougher schedule in a tougher division when all teams' health are considered. And if you consider improvements they made since then, Rays having top prospects like Baz, Patino coming up, getting a full season of Wander, Yankees and Jays making roster moves, it's hard to argue that Sox are better than those teams at this point in time.

8 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Maybe nobody wants to commit 4/5 years.  He could land a 2/3 year deal with an opt out after year 1. Or maybe even a larger 1 year deal.

If his market is depressed at all by a down year, an opt out after 1 makes sense.  Maybe they are holding out for a 5th year with the same opt outs.  Who knows.