Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

15 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

They have lucked their way into building a Championship Caliber Roster. 

They used current funds (that most clubs use to improve their current roster) to give their pre-arb players real time raises in exchange for cost certainty (and in some cases more control) down the road.

Then traded those assets that they essentially bought down.  Everyone loved the trades because the front office literally tabbed over to MLB Pipeline's Top 100 and acquired as many guys from that list as they could.  

Then because the payroll was non-existent, they could outbid everyone for Robert.

Bummer is really their only diamond in the rough find, despite having a completely wide open roster to give players and opportunity for half a decade.  

That is it.  That is how we got here. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Don't even bother trying to post anything positive. You'll be labeled a front office shill and and people can't u derstand why you do nothing but defend every move the FO has ever made.

More than the move they've made, it's also the moves they didn't make. The money that could have gone to any of Harper/Manny/Wheeler/Springer etc. is end up allocated to likes of Keuchel and Kimbrel while resorting to trotting Yermin at OF and Vaughn/Sheet at 2B. I think they deserve every blame they've gotten the last 3 years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Meadows has 3 years of control? Hah, now that is a trade we don't even have the ammo for.

Meadows isn't a super high surplus value guy, even with that many years of control. Kimbrel and $6-7 million in cash should be enough to get him. 

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Jim Bowden linked the White Sox to outfielders as well. 

I feel like those guys are probably doing what we're doing...thinking the Sox need to shore up RF so they have to be looking at OF help. 

Edited by chw42

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Meadows isn't a super high surplus value guy, even with that many years of control. Kimbrel and $6-7 million in cash should be enough to get him. 

I'd love for it to happen, but certainly can't see it coming to fruition.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Doesn't Meadows suck in the OF? 

He's not great, but he's not any worse than the FA options and our in-house options. He's also a much better bet to give you 30 homers and a wRC+ above 110. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Seriously, who hasn't lost it yet this offseason with this bullshit plan? I want to know because I commend you for your patience and your positivity.

I haven't lost it. I display my sentiments pretty dispassionately because I've seen it so many times before . I feel for @Chicago White Sox because he thought they would treat a division winner better than they treated semi contending teams.

Every year he's so optimistic that this is the year we sign the big free agent solution or TLR convinces JR to open his wallet and when he does it's to TLR type guys . It's the old out of touch manager whispering in the ear of the old out of touch owner with support from the GM who thinks a good draft idea is taking relief pitchers. It's the new market inefficiency right ?

• Love 1

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Beggars can't be choosers it would appear.

Also, if it's between Joc and Meadows, I'd pick Meadows every time. Meadows would also help us get rid of Kimbrel. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

A random Bruce Levine mention during the lockout, but nothing since.  Not even a whisper from anyone in the know that the Sox are interested.

How about any other team?

29 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

And truthfully, I hate this front office.   I hate their drafting, their development, Free Agency work, and short term philosophy.  

They have lucked their way into building a Championship Caliber Roster. 

And for that,  I'm 100% grateful and positive. 

They've made some great firesale trades and went with their guts to open up the checkbook for Robert that has helped build a playoff caliber roster.

However they failed to repeat the same results since then to improve the team via trades and refused to spend near the top of the market for free agents. Overall team talent has not improved since then and other organizations have caught up and passed them by. To top it off, player development has been more of the same. They had a great start, there were many paths they could have taken to turn this into a true championship caliber roster, yet they chose the wrong path seemingly every time.

• Like 1

Just now, chw42 said:

Also, if it's between Joc and Meadows, I'd pick Meadows every time. Meadows would also help us get rid of Kimbrel. 

If in fact they are truly priced out on Conforto, then I would do the trade as well (despite misgivings about TB) and have him in a platoon with Engel, so half the time we'd be getting elite offense and half the time elite D in RF. Getting Kimbrel off the books in the same transaction would be nice. Ofcourse, after sucking with us he would then go back to being a super elite closer with TB because of their magic analytics elixir but that's beside the point.

And then next year evaluate where Colas is. If he's ready to play put him in RF and have Meadows and Eloy switch off on LF/DH.

I just wish I knew if we were really in the game with Conforto or if we're just playing games to show we "tried" like before.