Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

10 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

More than the move they've made, it's also the moves they didn't make. The money that could have gone to any of Harper/Manny/Wheeler/Springer etc. is end up allocated to likes of Keuchel and Kimbrel while resorting to trotting Yermin at OF and Vaughn/Sheet at 2B. I think they deserve every blame they've gotten the last 3 years.

You're the 2nd person doing this BS comparison. 

Keuchel + Kimbrel + the rest of the pile of asses they have gathered via free agency doesn't even get to 50% of the $$$ commitment to Harper / Machado in free agency. 

I think that's where you guys continue to mis-read cheap ass Reinsdorf.  

He's fine paying $180 million in payroll for one season, He just refuses to pay that to one guy for 8 seasons. 

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

As much as I want that LH power bat, I don't think that giving Conforto a 4 or 5 year contract is a good idea, especially at around $20 million per year. I'd prefer a shorter term solution. I'm still intrigued by the thought of trading for Tyler Naquin, for the final year before he becomes a free agent. He hits RH pitching, and plays a pretty decent RF. The cost in prospects should be minimal and it leaves more money for additional starting pitching. 

For nearly a decade you’ve begged for a left-handed power bat and now one is there for the taking at a position of need and you’re not interested?  I’m at a loss of words.

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Anyone think Kimbrel for Meadows is realistic? 

No.  Meadows has some positive value.  Based on eyeballing previous free agent reliever contracts, Kimbrel was worth closer to half of the option we picked up.

17 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

More than the move they've made, it's also the moves they didn't make. The money that could have gone to any of Harper/Manny/Wheeler/Springer etc. is end up allocated to likes of Keuchel and Kimbrel while resorting to trotting Yermin at OF and Vaughn/Sheet at 2B. I think they deserve every blame they've gotten the last 3 years.

They deserve credit where its due, but they've had more misses post rebuild that hits.  It is completely fair to criticize them for their mistakes and poor resource allocation.  I think we could all do without the constant rehashing of those mistakes, but that's probably too much to ask of this board.

49 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Tim Anderson SS

Yoan Moncada 2B

Luis Robert CF

Jose Abreu 1B

Yasmani Grandal C

Eloy Jimenez LF 

Andrew Vaughn RF

Gavin Sheets DH

Josh Harrison 2B

Are there even 5 teams better than this? 

It's actually pretty easy to answer this. Sox had 93 wins last season, 2 wins ahead of the 4th place team in AL East. Would they have made the playoffs had they played in the ALE and having to play the top 4 teams 72 times a year? That's not counting the Astros, and also Dodgers, Braves, and Giants in the NL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

How I started the post-lockout:

I'd like us to go: Rodon or Kikuchi, Suzuki, Tepera, and Miller or Villar.

How its going:

Holy. Fucking. Shit. I hope we get Pederson.

Is it even worth going thru the Pederson exercise,  he sucks.   I think he was a negative WAR player last year. 

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I'm not as down on Keuchel as most. He was getting shelled by lefties last year, something that never happened before. I think he regresses to the mean and is viable this season. 

I have a bit of curiosity with him.  His numbers tanked hard after the sticky stuff investigations started.  One thing I am curious about was the talk about either stickier ball or a preapproved tack to be able to used for pitchers, and if that could get him back to where he had been, or if the losses are permanent.

Just now, thxfrthmmrs said:

It's actually pretty easy to answer this. Sox had 93 wins last season, 2 wins ahead of the 4th place team in AL East. Would they have made the playoffs had they played in the ALE and having to play the top 4 teams 72 times a year? That's not counting the Astros, and also Dodgers, Braves, and Giants in the NL.

Is this accounting for all the missed time from key pieces like Robert and Eloy? 

The Sox win closer to 100 games had they not missed those guys 2/3 of the season. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

And truthfully, I hate this front office.   I hate their drafting, their development, Free Agency work, and short term philosophy.  

They have lucked their way into building a Championship Caliber Roster. 

And for that,  I'm 100% grateful and positive. 

Exactly how I feel. 

And yet another small thing — why is Mercedes still with this organization? Is TLR gonna give him a bunch of contrition AB's in place of Sheets? 

• Like 1

Just now, Tnetennba said:

I haven't seen Conforto's name attached to any team beyond fans wishing for it.  It kind of odd IMO.

Maybe nobody wants to commit 4/5 years.  He could land a 2/3 year deal with an opt out after year 1. Or maybe even a larger 1 year deal.