Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

24 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I think these two statements disagree with each other, demonstrating why he may have MORE value than Bellinger. 

Not to say I wouldn't take either one, just that Lux may require more pieces than you think.

After reviewing it further you are correct.

It's behind a paywall or I would link it. The Athletic has the Dodgers as the favorite to win the WS with the Sox in a small group of top contenders. 

Once again, why are the smartest baseball minds in America writing for Soxtalk while dummies get national exposure? They just gloss over no 2nd or RF. List Kimbrel as an asset? Playing in a weak division is the only reason they will even sniff the playoffs. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Don’t overreact to spring training numbers.

Also Bellinger’s spring training numbers are terrible the Dodgers will surely move him now.

Where did he say "the Dodgers will surely move him now?"

He said "IF the Dodgers are willing to move him"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

It's behind a paywall or I would link it. The Athletic has the Dodgers as the favorite to win the WS with the Sox in a small group of top contenders. 

Once again, why are the smartest baseball minds in America writing for Soxtalk while dummies get national exposure? They just gloss over no 2nd or RF. List Kimbrel as an asset? Playing in a weak division is the only reason they will even sniff the playoffs. 

Show me one person who has argued the Sox aren’t a top team on paper.

31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Anyone got any backup catcher ideas?  I may have been Collins’ biggest defender in the past, but it’s as clear as day he can not catch at the major league level.  We don’t need anything crazy either, but looks any upgrades will have to come via the trade market.

Jorge Alfaro

So much for that Ketel Marte trade…for now.

“The Diamondbacks and second baseman Ketel Marte have had talks about a contract extension, according to Robert Murray of FanSided. 

Marte, 28, is technically under contract through the 2024 season thanks to a pair of club options. MLB Network's Jon Heyman notes that one proposal the Diamondbacks would guarantee those options and then tack on three more years.

Marte has blossomed into a high-quality player since the Diamondbacks acquired him in a trade prior to the 2017 season. He's hit for a 122 OPS+ in more than 500 games with Arizona. He also made the 2019 All-Star Game and finished top-five in National League Most Valuable Player Award voting.”    Cbssports.com

13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

There’s a massive difference between top AL Central team and best-suited to go deep into the postseason.

I don’t even think Balta would bet his house on the Twins or Tigers overtaking the Sox in 2022.

Athletic has us as a top WS contender. 

19 hours ago, fathom said:

Leury and Harrison are gonna get way too much playing time 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Don’t overreact to spring training numbers.

Also Bellinger’s spring training numbers are terrible the Dodgers will surely move him now.

Might want to recheck what I wrote. Also spring training or not, 10 straight strikeouts sets off an alarm or 2. 

If the Dodgers don't think they can get him fixed, I don't like the White Sox odds.

If the Dodgers made him available for Kimbrel,  I would be leery. I don't think they will. I think they will go down with the Bellinger ship if it sinks.

38 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

So much for that Ketel Marte trade…for now.

“The Diamondbacks and second baseman Ketel Marte have had talks about a contract extension, according to Robert Murray of FanSided. 

Marte, 28, is technically under contract through the 2024 season thanks to a pair of club options. MLB Network's Jon Heyman notes that one proposal the Diamondbacks would guarantee those options and then tack on three more years.

Marte has blossomed into a high-quality player since the Diamondbacks acquired him in a trade prior to the 2017 season. He's hit for a 122 OPS+ in more than 500 games with Arizona. He also made the 2019 All-Star Game and finished top-five in National League Most Valuable Player Award voting.”    Cbssports.com

The White Sox were never trading for Marte. Completely unnecessary. 

47 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

There’s a massive difference between top AL Central team and best-suited to go deep into the postseason.

I don’t even think Balta would bet his house on the Twins or Tigers overtaking the Sox in 2022.

The front office has had a very underwhelming off-season. It wasn’t good. With that being said though, who in the AL is definitely better than the White Sox? 

9 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The front office has had a very underwhelming off-season. It wasn’t good. With that being said though, who in the AL is definitely better than the White Sox? 

Blue Jays

6 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Agreed. James, how confident are you that Kimbrel gets moved before April 8?

Not as confident as I was earlier but rostering him makes very little sense. I’m not sure honestly. I’d imagine he gets moved still. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Tampa Bay, Houston without a doubt.  In fact there's a large gap between them and the Sox (in talent, in playoff experience, in coaching)

I'd put the Sox in the same tier as NYY/TOR/BOS however those teams play in a much more talented division 

I think being in a weak division is a double edged sword for the Sox, it gets them into the playoffs but it doesn't prepare them very much for when they get there 

• Like 5

Bellinger has 19 at bats, so far this Spring. He has struck out in 14 of them. There is clearly something wrong with him. However, early last month he stated the following:

“I feel really good. My shoulder is feeling better. I’ve just been doing the proper lifts to feel good and I’m swinging the bat. I’m feeling pretty good about it. My body is feeling good and my shoulder is feeling a lot, a lot better.”

Quite a mystery. 

37 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Tampa Bay, Houston without a doubt.  In fact there's a large gap between them and the Sox (in talent, in playoff experience, in coaching)

I'd put the Sox in the same tier as NYY/TOR/BOS however those teams play in a much more talented division 

I think being in a weak division is a double edged sword for the Sox, it gets them into the playoffs but it doesn't prepare them very much for when they get there 

In theory, this should help the White Sox attain the #1 seed which would be significant. Also, I'm not sure Houston is definitely a tier above. Carlos Correa is a huge loss and McCullers is hurt. 

• Quin locked this topic