Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

57 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

If all it takes to fix Kimbrel is making him the closer, and he's going to be on the roster anyways, not giving him the closer role would be insanity

La Russa isn't the manager to do this, but Hendriks would probably be more valuable as a high leverage relief ace rather than a traditional closer, assuming that it's something he would be willing to try

Hadn’t see this yet, but fully agree with everything here.

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

Sorry, but a long standing misnomered nickname for an entire indigenous people group with no relation to the Indian subcontinent based solely on similar color of skin is in fact racist.  Being in common usage doesn't make it right.

I know of some native folks that are comfortable with the term "Indian," and others that are not.

What they are ALL against are nasty caricatures like chief wahoo, or outright slurs like r3dskin.

Take that for what it's worth. Either way, Cleveland have rightly fired chief wahoo, and have turned the page on their former nickname.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bmags said:

I am someone that believes routine does matter quite a bit for relievers. But the idea that kimbrel is magically solved in the closer role just seems like such a farce. He was still eaten up in the playoffs, was that not enough adrenaline?

His issues clearly went beyond being a setup man.  Personally I think he mostly wore down from a large innings increase and his mechanics got out of whack.  I agree the adrenaline probably does help to some extent though and at this point I’d rather go with Kimbrel as closer and use Hendriks in a much more dynamic, high leverage role.

30 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I know of some native folks that are comfortable with the term "Indian," and others that are not.

What they are ALL against are nasty caricatures like chief wahoo, or outright slurs like r3dskin.

Take that for what it's worth. Either way, Cleveland have rightly fired chief wahoo, and have turned the page on their former nickname.

The legacy of where that name came from is also pretty racist too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Oh it 100% is racist.  The history and the origins of the term, along with how we applied to to entire populations regardless of their actual tribal and political histories to dehumanize, subjugate, and conquer them over our 500ish year European history here in the Americas is unequivocal.  There were definitely times of acceptance for these types of terms, but them being accepted doesn't change the history behind them.  If we were talking about actual tribal names, we could talk, but this term isn't that.

Such as all the US Army attack helicopters, for example.

54 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If we’re going down this insane path, why not just make Kimbrel the closer for three months?  I get it sucks for Hendriks, but he’s already said he’d be ok with it and in all honesty it allows you to use Hendriks in even higher leverage situations than Tony normally does by limiting him to the 9th.  

Unfortunately it’s very clear the org’s plan is to ignore Kimbrel’s dislike of a setup role and simply hope for the best.

That’s just it, if you’re stuck with someone…why not attempt to problem solve?

Heck, Hendriks volunteered to give up the closer’s role.  You almost get the feeling it makes him uncomfortable having taken Kimbrel’s lifetime role away…as Kimbrel was perceived his entire career as a surefire HoF and Liam had that period where any team in baseball could have claimed him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

If that’s not a slogan for White Sox Baseball, I don’t know what is!

Lol...TLR can't make up his mind. First it's anyone who doesn't like what we have in RF isn't a fan and now it's I know we have chicken shit instead of chicken salad but somehow we'll deal with it the best we can.

Sounds like he's not a real fan to me.

I will give him credit for having the unique ability to create endless PR crises for the FO. 

Nice work, JR. You really know how to pick em.

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Fire 2

Just now, SoCalChiSox said:

Lol...TLR can't make up his mind. First it's anyone who doesn't like what we have in RF isn't a fan and now it's I know we have chicken shit instead of chicken salad but somehow we'll deal with it the best we can.

I like how Hahn took a lot of the heat off La Russa by having a terrible off-season and TLR had to say some shit to disparage fans to remind us that he's still here. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I will give him credit for having the unique ability to create endless PR crises for the FO. 

Nice work, JR. You really know how to pick em.

He does have an uncanny knack for throwing Hahn under the bus...I'm sure he believes that he would be able to get the deal done if they just added more official titles behind his name.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

He does have an uncanny knack for throwing Hahn under the bus...I'm sure he believes that he would be able to get the deal done if they just added more official titles behind his name.

RH/KW made it abundantly clear at the outset that they didn't want him and that he was shoved down their throat. 

They were right to oppose him but once he won out anyway, I'm not surprised he throws shade their way when he can. 

53 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I like how Hahn took a lot of the heat off La Russa by having a terrible off-season and TLR had to say some shit to disparage fans to remind us that he's still here. 

Except for the part where someone other than Hahn made the decision on Joe Kelly.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Tony had an interesting comment on the WS Talk podcast about how you might not be able to get a pitcher now if you add a RF.  Sure seems like another move is coming.

Frustrating to hear this when a right field upgrade could be had with just money and from a trade perspective they're stuck having to deal from the wort farm system in baseball.

15 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Frustrating to hear this when a right field upgrade could be had with just money and from a trade perspective they're stuck having to deal from the wort farm system in baseball.

I just don’t understand why they didn’t just sign a legit SP if you had $46M to spend?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Worts or warts, it's filled with a lot of SOMETHING.

Wish there was a way to just turn the clock back to the TDL last summer and start over again, but that only works with bad drives in golf.

• Quin locked this topic