GT 7/5: MIN @ SOX, The day after

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Guess I'll check out Future Sox and see if anything good is happening there lol.

Well hopefully our draft is the best player we can develop and not "polished" guys with limited upside or relievers.  

This guy screams Lance Broadway

https://soxmachine.com/general/2022-draft-profile-justin-campbell-rhp/

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I know this. 

I think baseball is going toward the end of starting pitchers. Before too long there will be 2 3 inning pitchers that pitch one time through the order. 

If this is the case then how does this innings pitched per game thing you are talking about have any relevance in whether Dylan Cease is a potential Ace or not?

4 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I'm sure teams tried to poach Don Cooper from the Sox and he was here for like 20 years. Katz isn't here just to be Lucas' personal pitching coach.

West Coast guys tend to go back home at some point...but time will tell.

He won't stick around for a rebuild if we start trading Lynn Hendriks Graveman Giolito and Cueto.

Vera is the only minor league pitcher worth a damn to work with.  Maybe Mena.

He will get poached by someone.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm at the lowest point of my fandom as an adult. That's all. A very solipsistic view but one I'm sure is shared by quite a few people around 30-50.

This was supposed to be a golden generation of White Sox baseball. welp. hopefully we'll all get to experience something like that in our lives.

• Like 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

West Coast guys tend to go back home at some point...but time will tell.

He won't stick around for a rebuild if we start trading Lynn Hendriks Graveman Giolito and Cueto.

Vera is the only minor league pitcher worth a damn.  Maybe Mena.

That is all speculation based on things we can't ever know.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm at the lowest point of my fandom as an adult. That's all. A very solipsistic view but one I'm sure is shared by quite a few people around 30-50.

I bought into the rebuild based on the fact that they would hopefully do it right.  Build a pipeline of talent in the minors, build off of a true development organization and then insert high-valued talent with FA.  But I forget, this is the sox.  We dumpster dive and overspend for mediocre talent and then go all-in on things like relievers.  Meanwhile turning the farm system into one of the worst in baseball.  Because in the end, the same people are doing talent evaluation.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

If this is the case then how does this innings pitched per game thing you are talking about have any relevance in whether Dylan Cease is a potential Ace or not?

Cease is establishing himself as a top 10 pitcher in the sport and has a chance to win the CY but that isn't ace worthy, apparently

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

This makes me miss the 2019 season. Had a ton of hope and saw flashes of potential. Who would've thought this 2022 version would be such a let down? It amazes me more and more how the heck did 2005 even happen? Maybe the older Chicago fans feel the same with the '85 Bears? That was before my time.

8 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Part of my definition of an ace is a guy that pitches 6 innings on a regular basis and goes 7+ 5 or more starts per season. Sale did it, Quintana did it, Giolito did it for a couple seasons. It's not the only criterion, but a major part of it. 

Cease is dominant for 5 innings but I think you have to ask for more than that from a true ace. 

Everyone has their own definition of an ace. 

In recent years, DeGrom, Kershaw and Verlander are examples. 

Guys that are true aces usually end up in Cooperstown. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

I bought into the rebuild based on the fact that they would hopefully do it right.  Build a pipeline of talent in the minors, build off of a true development organization and then insert high-valued talent with FA.  But I forget, this is the sox.  We dumpster dive and overspend for mediocre talent and then go all-in on things like relievers.  Meanwhile turning the farm system into one of the worst in baseball.  Because in the end, the same people are doing talent evaluation.  

Yeah I don’t trust Hahn and the front office with another rebuild. 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I am in your camp. I am just tired of how sorry the broader organization operates. Completely second class - maybe even 3rd class. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Well hopefully our draft is the best player we can develop and not "polished" guys with limited upside or relievers.  

This guy screams Lance Broadway

https://soxmachine.com/general/2022-draft-profile-justin-campbell-rhp/

Part of me want to laugh at that.  Hopefully they know how to run the bases before they are signed.

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

I am in your camp. I am just tired of how sorry the broader organization operates. Completely second class - maybe even 3rd class. 

My kids came into the year super pumped, as they really loved 2020 because there was nothing else to do but watch games.  I swear they might ask once every three games if the Sox won.  They only know who’s doing well or bad on the season based on the player’s ranking in The Show.

• Like 1