If the Sox trade for Juan Soto we have a chance.

Jerksticks

6 hours ago, bmags said:

Everyone can rest easy, the teams we are ostensibly competing against are about to add a top 3 player in baseball, but we can sign a bum ass conforto for next year in hopes he is good value.

💯 

Conforto does nothing for this team this season and hardly moves the needle for them next season. Soto is exactly the type of player the Sox should be going all in to acquire. An absolute perfect fit for this roster. Send Eloy, Sheets, Martin, and the entire farm system for all I care. Acquiring Soto to man LF everyday makes the Sox a bonafide contender this season and next. Vaughn can DH, spot start in OF and 1b. Engel/Pollock can cover RF well enough, especially when you’ve got them batting 8th in the lineup.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

đź’Ż

Conforto does nothing for this team this season and hardly moves the needle for them next season. Soto is exactly the type of player the Sox should be going all in to acquire. An absolute perfect fit for this roster. Send Eloy, Sheets, Martin, and the entire farm system for all I care. Acquiring Soto to man LF everyday makes the Sox a bonafide contender this season and next. Vaughn can DH, spot start in OF and 1b. Engel/Pollock can cover RF well enough, especially when you’ve got them batting 8th in the lineup.

Yeah, that’s not getting it done.

32 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah, that’s not getting it done.

Come on Bob those 3 names where just an example, he's knows that won't get it done because he followed it up by saying the entire farm for all he cared. The Sox do have talent to work with. Remember its not the rankings of minor leaguers so much as it is what their scouts think of the talent. To fans looking at the rankings in a trade makes it look prettier.But Montgomery is a fast riser who could be in the top 10 or close too it when the season ends and Colas could be in close to the top 50. Just just have to finish the season like they started it through their promotions to higher levels. So far its going great . That may or may not help the Sox in a major trade but it could.

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

If Corbin being in the deal is a requirement, I think that alone would take the Sox out of the running. Best case scenario, I suppose, would be using prospects to flip him to a 3rd team but that's not going to happen. Jerry avoids "bad" contracts like they're the plague.

I just don’t think it would scare many teams away, including Corbin that is. Just lowers price for said teams with better farms. Dodgers would be fine.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I just don’t think it would scare many teams away, including Corbin that is. Just lowers price for said teams with better farms. Dodgers would be fine.

I agree, but I think it would be enough to scare Jerry away, which is the only thing that matters.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I’m not so sure about that. Even teams like the Dodgers have been very mindful of the luxury tax limit in recent years and I’m not sure what a contract like Corbin’s would do to their payroll relative to the limit.

9 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

If Corbin being in the deal is a requirement, I think that alone would take the Sox out of the running. Best case scenario, I suppose, would be using prospects to flip him to a 3rd team but that's not going to happen. Jerry avoids "bad" contracts like they're the plague.

The good news is that Corbin only has 2+ seasons remaining on his contract and like I said I would assume Nats are eating some percentage of it. Obviously Jerry and most other teams would balk at the requirement of taking on his entire salary in a deal for Soto unless the asking price is greatly reduced. If the Nats eat no money, the combined salary of Soto and Corbin is pretty much what Soto would make on the open market and there would be very little surplus value from the Nats end in such a deal.

24 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’m not so sure about that. Even teams like the Dodgers have been very mindful of the luxury tax limit in recent years and I’m not sure what a contract like Corbin’s would do to their payroll relative to the limit.

Not exactly the kind of move the Sox would make either to be honest.

29 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I think the Sox have the bullets to get it done without including Vaughn or Kopech if Corbin is included in the deal as rumored (and I am assuming the Nats eat some of his salary too).

I don't believe for a minute that the Sox could afford taking on Corbin even if  the Nats eat half his salary. Do you know how much Soto is going to make in arbitration for 2023 and 2024 ? It could set arbitration salary records. If you take on half of Corbin's salary plus Soto's arb. salaries for those 2.5 years your looking at maybe $40+M per year for Soto + Corbin who is useless to a contending team.

If Corbin is in a deal for Soto it will be to one of the big spending teams. But I think in the end Corbin won't be a part of any deal unless the Nats eat way more than half his salary.

The Sox have huge hill to climb if they want to get Soto and not have his presence diminished by trading Vaughn or Kopech. This is why it won't happen. The Nats would have to be interested in Eloy and that's a huge obstacle too. I give Seattle , Yanks or Dodgers the best shots at getting Soto.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Rick Hahn, however, does not.

• Fire 1