Nightengale: Sox have clubhouse issues

chw42

27 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

As stupid as we all knew it was to hire TLR, baseball pundits mostly celebrated the move.  Hahn resigning then would have looked bad, or at least curious.  Resigning now, falling on his sword amidst a miserable season, and leaving an untenable situation looks better for him IMO than if he left Nov 2020.  I still don’t know if another org hires him to be GM after his long tenure of mediocrity here.  In any other org he would have been out on his ass before the rebuild, so it’s really hard to say. 

The f***?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30220736/why-tony-la-russa-sincerely-curious-choice-white-sox-manager 

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/mlb/2020/10/29/21540628/white-sox-hired-tony-la-russa-for-all-the-wrong-reasons

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/mlb/2020/10/29/21541082/tony-la-russa-chicago-white-sox-manager

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2915687-despite-hof-credentials-tony-la-russa-is-a-baffling-hire-for-young-white-sox.amp.html

https://www.blessyouboys.com/platform/amp/2020/10/29/21540608/mlb-news-tony-larussa-chicago-white-sox-manager-hire

https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20201029/head-scratcher-white-sox-hire-la-russa-as-manager-after-34-year-hiatus

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/10/tony-la-russa-white-sox-manager-hire-fan-reaction-mlb-chicago

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Sports/wireStory/column-white-sox-return-disco-era-hire-la-73930788

https://deadspin.com/white-sox-crash-managerial-hire-jets-do-just-enough-la-1845631103/amp

https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/platform/amp/2020/10/29/21540571/white-sox-tony-la-russa-manager

Is that enough? What pundits, other than specifically Nightengale?

• Like 4
  • TLR 1

3 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Yeah, I was wondering if my memory deceived me. It was such a bad move that everybody thought Bob was a moron for floating the idea. Then it happened. 

I think it was something like 85-90% against, 10-15% in favor.

And that's being generous...probably went down even more after the DUI revelations.

• TLR 1

This was another excuse no to blame Tony LaBevington.   I think the Tony that Hawk fired was better.

Jerry hired him and Hahn and KW are forced to support that decision.

If they start unloading the players because of a bad manager.  I think I;m done with this team.

This situation reminds me of the time that KW had to deal with the Laroach whose kid was running wild on the field and in the clubhouse while Ventura and Hahn did  nothing.

That was the beginning of the end for Ventura and it should have been for Hahn as well. The Manager and the GM should not have to wait for the Owner or an Exec like KW to have to deal with clubhouse issues or player motivation.   I believe we might see TLR and Hahn gone this time around, most likely at the ASB. .  Fire Mennechino, Boston and Joe McEwing while you are at it Kenny. Then let's see wtf is causing issues in the clubhouse and deal with them. It's natural to have some cliques  because of cultural and social differences, but if there are trouble makers get rid of them.

Edited by tray
  • Haha 1
  • Hawk 1

Ok, pundit was not the right word.  I don’t recall seeing those articles, half of which look like random blog posts to me, but I digress.  I do recall loads of praise inside baseball, across various broadcasts praising the hiring of TLR.  Point being, it wasn’t universally derided as a stupid move in the baseball world the way many of us diehards believed it to be. 

12 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Yeah, I was wondering if my memory deceived me. It was such a bad move that everybody thought Bob was a moron for floating the idea. Then it happened. 

Yeah, uh, half this board celebrated it, including you.  And you specifically went out of your way to troll me any time I critiqued him.  You don’t get to gaslight me. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • Hawk 1

9 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Ok, pundit was not the right word.  I don’t recall seeing those articles, half of which look like random blog posts to me, but I digress.  I do recall loads of praise inside baseball, across various broadcasts praising the hiring of TLR.  Point being, it wasn’t universally derided as a stupid move in the baseball world the way many of us diehards believed it to be. 

In the real world it probably started off as 1/3 outright debacle, 1/3 “this seems dumb but I will give it a chance”, and 1/3 “best thing ever!”. But it took about a week for the DUI and coverup to leak and things shifted noticeably negative from that starting point with everything that came out. Twitter just flat out erupted. 

Broadcasters, particularly those in Chicago by the way - have to make sure their network doesn’t lose access to their press statements. So they aren’t exactly an unbiased sample either.

14 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I liked that even the Cubs and Tigers pages were like WTF?

42 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Yeah, uh, half this board celebrated it, including you.  And you specifically went out of your way to troll me any time I critiqued him.  You don’t get to gaslight me. 

Wow. I don't even know how to respond to a such bogus accusation like this one. I'll let the mods handle it. Reported. 

Below is my first reaction to the hire. I was not a fan. 

On 10/29/2020 at 2:52 PM, ron883 said:

Sleepy Tony La Russa! Total disaster! 

Edited by ron883

38 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I remember some being surprised by the LaRussa hire. In reality, it was not surprising in the least. Hire some crony because it makes JR feel good. Like the Ventura move. That hire was interesting - for about a day. Then when a person truly thinks about it, there is the realization of how stupid it is. For five years, Ventura walked around the dugout with an empty look on his face. And, of course, once he left, no team came knocking on his door. He has been long gone, and his Sox legacy is ruined. And now LaRussa. He certainly won't be remembered for the 1983 WInnin Ugly team. My god, what a joke. But don't worry, the team morale is just great.

• Hawk 1

3 minutes ago, Highland said:

He also wasn't pitching for some of that period. Don't; worry, he can make up for lost time.

True, but in his last 13 appearances he’s at 13.1 IP, 0 R, 4 H, 3 BB, 19 K. Still impressive. Of all players/coaches to complain about right now, he’s probably the last one deserving of it other than Cease

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, tray said:

This situation reminds me of the time that KW had to deal with the Laroach whose kid was running wild on the field and in the clubhouse while Ventura and Hahn did  nothing.

That was the beginning of the end for Ventura and it should have been for Hahn as well. The Manager and the GM should not have to wait for the Owner or an Exec like KW to have to deal with clubhouse issues or player motivation.   I believe we might see TLR and Hahn gone this time around, most likely at the ASB. .  Fire Mennechino, Boston and Joe McEwing while you are at it Kenny. Then let's see wtf is causing issues in the clubhouse and deal with them. It's natural to have some cliques  because of cultural and social differences, but if there are trouble makers get rid of them.

lol. nobody is getting fired

Just now, ron883 said:

Bring back Oz!

In the episodes 1-3 Trilogy, supposedly George Lucas wrote the 3 other villains to be each a piece of Vader. Maul was a powerful dark side user, Dooku was a fallen Jedi, and Grievous was a cyborg.

I feel we have effectively done the same thing. 
Ozzie Guillen - became self obsessed to the point that he undermined his own team.
Robin Ventura - asleep, reacting to everything too late, no foresight. Completely checked out about the clubhouse.
Ricky Renteria - bless his heart no one tried harder, but was simply outsmarted. Obsessed with the way the game used to be played and became infuriated any time someone gave him new information.

Assemble all of that, and you’ve got the current white Sox manager.

• TLR 1

9 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

In the real world it probably started off as 1/3 outright debacle, 1/3 “this seems dumb but I will give it a chance”, and 1/3 “best thing ever!”. But it took about a week for the DUI and coverup to leak and things shifted noticeably negative from that starting point with everything that came out. Twitter just flat out erupted. 

Broadcasters, particularly those in Chicago by the way - have to make sure their network doesn’t lose access to their press statements. So they aren’t exactly an unbiased sample either.

Talking heads would be more accurate.  There was plenty of support for the move outside of Chicago is my point.  Certainly more criticism in writing than I remember seeing, that I will fully admit. 

RR was great as a developmental manager. He was the right guy to have leading the team during the rebuild.

Kind of wish he could have been kept on as a bench coach post-rebuild, but completely get why they wouldn't

3 minutes ago, JoeC said:

RR was great as a developmental manager. He was the right guy to have leading the team during the rebuild.

Kind of wish he could have been kept on as a bench coach post-rebuild, but completely get why they wouldn't

If there were a player development role on the bench that would suit him perfectly.  He’s just terrible at the game day managing part.  Not someone you want at the helm after a rebuilding squad takes the next step. 

11 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

How have the last 2 years affected his long term employment prospects?

I'd say this organization is where he's best suited financially because of the owner's loyalty

If he quit tomorrow no one is hiring him and paying him what he makes now

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I'd say this organization is where he's best suited financially because of the owner's loyalty

If he quit tomorrow no one is hiring him and paying him what he makes now

If he quit after the owner took away his power to hire a coach, I would bet you he is a GM elsewhere by now with a comparable salary. Now I bet he is a sacrificial lamb this offseason so that LaRussa can be kept, and he never works as a GM again.