That's an utterly classless White Sox winner

wegner

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yikes the venom is real. Is a person in today's society really a halfwit because he wants people to treat each other better ? I disagreed with the guy in the  game thread but only because I think the Sox deserve the same scorn they show the fans.

Maybe the real halfwits are the ones who take all this a wee bit too seriously and can't think rationally and put things in perspective.

I wasn't in the game thread. But fans booing TLR and wanting him to get canned aren't classless. They are fans that care about their team. TLR has been a very big part of ruining this rebuild (so far).

And every now and then I see posters in this forum that have questionable pro management viewpoints and I sometimes wonder if they are certain people on burner accounts? Things that make you go hmmm.

4 hours ago, MeanJoeCrede said:

Considering tonight was his lowest pitch count of the season, probably not. He has 3 games over 100 and 1 at 99 out of his 7 starts this year. Although i personally didnt hate the decision to pull him after 6, I would have preferred he'd gone with someone other than Ruiz. 

Considering how he's done in those 7 games coming off an injury. I'm pretty pleased with how he pitched. I didn't like Hendricks pitching the 1st game in a non save situation when he's been pitching so well in save situations but that wasn't a bad call by TLR.

7 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I wasn't in the game thread. But fans booing TLR and wanting him to get canned aren't classless. They are fans that care about their team. TLR has been a very big part of ruining this rebuild (so far).

And every now and then I see posters in this forum that have questionable pro management viewpoints and I sometimes wonder if they are certain people on burner accounts? Things that make you go hmmm.

No they aren't and I said as much but  some kinder gentler soul might think it's classless and they are entitled to their opinion and going against popular cutthroat sports opinions doesn't make you a halfwit.

TLR is in the shit rolls downhill position. The shit at the top of the hill is way more deserving of scorn .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

50 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yikes the venom is real. Is a person in today's society really a halfwit because he wants people to treat each other better ? I disagreed with the guy in the  game thread but only because I think the Sox deserve the same scorn they show the fans.

Maybe the real halfwits are the ones who take all this a wee bit too seriously and can't think rationally and put things in perspective.

This is very interesting in light of someone who went digging in some of my old takes to laugh at me yesterday!  Very funny!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Considering how he's done in those 7 games coming off an injury. I'm pretty pleased with how he pitched. I didn't like Hendricks pitching the 1st game in a non save situation when he's been pitching so well in save situations but that wasn't a bad call by TLR.

Enough of this "non-save" argument.  If Hendriks can't get himself up to do his best with the season on the line because of a scorer's rule, he's not much of a competitor.  Anyway, the "non-save" argument is supposed to be about situations where you use a closer in a blowout win, not situations like this.  And Steve Stone can shut up about it any time he wants.

1 hour ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Enough of this "non-save" argument.  If Hendriks can't get himself up to do his best with the season on the line because of a scorer's rule, he's not much of a competitor.  Anyway, the "non-save" argument is supposed to be about situations where you use a closer in a blowout win, not situations like this.  And Steve Stone can shut up about it any time he wants.

I agree that a closer/relief pitcher -should- be able to pitch to anyone in any situation, but it really seems like Liam has struggled in this scenario.  I dunno maybe it’s recency bias and I admittedly haven’t looked at his splits, it just seems like when he comes into a tie game in the 9th he doesn’t have “it”

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

This is very interesting in light of someone who went digging in some of my old takes to laugh at me yesterday!  Very funny!

I went through an old thread announcing the Sox decision not to extend Rodon the QO since he just passed the innings limit to become a FA again next season. Likely the Giants extend him a QO and now they will get a draft pick for him if that's still allowed under the new CBA . I didn't post in it to draw anyone's attention to it. You were not the only one I gave laugh emoji's to. I think I gave likes , fires, loves and laugh and maybe a TLR to about 25-30 posts .

To people who gave the FO the benefit of the doubt I gave the laugh emoji. I don't think that was cruel of me. It was more like a teacher handing out an F since there isn't another way to show that u disagree with a post besides the laugh emoji which also doubles for when you think something is actually funny.

I also passed out many loves and likes to Balta , Ray Ray, Hi8is and a few others who were spot on. Balta in particular was upset with you in that thread because he felt you were personally attacking him for his takes, many of which were correct, so yea I though you deserved a couple of laugh emojis.

You where the only one with thin enough skin to "retaliate" for my laughs and go back into my old posts from 2005 and laugh at a few of my old posts, one in which I stuck up for Willy Harris and another one in which I stuck up for a Guardians fan who invaded Soxtalk who ended up being banned because he didn't back down from all the abuse he took.

1 hour ago, Stinky Stanky said:

I'm sorry but it does apply even if we don't want it to. Look at how Kimbrel pitched for the Sox, but he basically sucked in any situation the Sox put him in but it was mostly "hold"  and not "save" situations.

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No they aren't and I said as much but  some kinder gentler soul might think it's classless and they are entitled to their opinion and going against popular cutthroat sports opinions doesn't make you a halfwit.

TLR is in the shit rolls downhill position. The shit at the top of the hill is way more deserving of scorn .

Calling an entire group of individuals classless isn't being a "kindler, gentler soul". It's being a judgemental, politically correct, holier than thou, douchebag. So calling that individual a halfwit is actually being kind. 

Edited by Paulie4Pres
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Calling an entire group of individuals classless isn't being a "kindler, gentler soul". It's being a judgemental, politically correct, holier than thou, douchbag. So calling that individual a halfwit is actually being kind. 

Look I've 100% supported the Fire Tony chants and the booing a few times in my posts and I didn't take it personally. I don't think booing is politically incorrect at a sporting event  and some people may just be holier than others or may believe that "manners maketh man."

Harry Hart : [Quoting Ernest Hemingway] There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. Harry Hart : [Quoting William Horman] "Manners maketh man." Do you know what that means? Then let me teach you a lesson.

I suppose the poster could have phrased it better and said it isn't polite or mannerly.

https://medium.com/@jannikdrescher/manners-maketh-man-620f702ae86f

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I went through an old thread announcing the Sox decision not to extend Rodon the QO since he just passed the innings limit to become a FA again next season. Likely the Giants extend him a QO and now they will get a draft pick for him if that's still allowed under the new CBA . I didn't post in it to draw anyone's attention to it. You were not the only one I gave laugh emoji's to. I think I gave likes , fires, loves and laugh and maybe a TLR to about 25-30 posts .

To people who gave the FO the benefit of the doubt I gave the laugh emoji. I don't think that was cruel of me. It was more like a teacher handing out an F since there isn't another way to show that u disagree with a post besides the laugh emoji which also doubles for when you think something is actually funny.

I also passed out many loves and likes to Balta , Ray Ray, Hi8is and a few others who were spot on. Balta in particular was upset with you in that thread because he felt you were personally attacking him for his takes, many of which were correct, so yea I though you deserved a couple of laugh emojis.

You where the only one with thin enough skin to "retaliate" for my laughs and go back into my old posts from 2005 and laugh at a few of my old posts, one in which I stuck up for Willy Harris and another one in which I stuck up for a Guardians fan who invaded Soxtalk who ended up being banned because he didn't back down from all the abuse he took.

Lol all I did was go to your oldest posts and pick three random posts and laugh at them.  Retaliation lmao, I certainly wasn’t digging in old threads and laughing at people.  Thin skin indeed

I get why he pulled Lynn; the pitching broke down at the end of last season and he's trying to keep the old guy reasonably fresh.  And it's not  like the FO added any depth to the rotation this year.

LaRussa likes to use his bench,  he likes middle relievers and utility players, relying on 3 or 4 stud hitters to drive in the runs.  The stud part hasn't happened yet and the bench is well below par.   He also used to show some creativity, such as turning Eck into a reliever; haven't seen much real creativity.  He did some odd things his first go-round in Chicago.

Maybe it will pay off in the end (several Sox are just having bad seasons); maybe (likely) he's not a good fit for this stodgy FO and that his ideas are outdated.

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

For the record, pulling Lynn after six I was ok with, as well as using Ruiz there. After 5 relievers the prior day and more in the early game, you were going to use a crappy guy there.  With Lynn's knee problems and how awful he has been, getting him out on a high note with low mileage is a good thing.

I was more wondering about pulling Eloy with at least one AB to go, and using Kelly so early 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sarava said:

I wasn't in the game thread. But fans booing TLR and wanting him to get canned aren't classless. They are fans that care about their team. 

I thoroughly disagree with this. I didn't read the thread or see this game but if they were chanting "Fire Tony" during the game that indeed IMO is total lack of class. What I think is 'reasonable' is after the final out, go ahead and boo if the Sox lose and you are so inclined to blame somebody. Or even boo and then chant "Fire tony" or "Bring Back Ozzie" or something to one's heart's content. this is just my opinion that it is stupid and counterproductive to chant "Fire Tony" during a game. It sets all kinds of bad examples for young kid fans, too, if we still care about kids in 2022. I am a fan of non booing and holding back on the negative chants. Anybody with me?

Edited by greg775
  • TLR 1

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I thoroughly disagree with this. I didn't read the thread or see this game but if they were chanting "Fire Tony" during the game that indeed IMO is total lack of class. What I think is 'reasonable' is after the final out, go ahead and boo if the Sox lose and you are so inclined to blame somebody. Or even boo and then chant "Fire tony" or "Bring Back Ozzie" or something to one's heart's content. this is just my opinion that it is stupid and counterproductive to chant "Fire Tony" during a game. It sets all kinds of bad examples for young kid fans, too, if we still care about kids in 2022. I am a fan of non booing and holding back on the negative chants. Anybody with me?

Booing sets a bad example for kids but drinking and driving is ok?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Booing sets a bad example for kids but drinking and driving is ok?

Do you want your kids sitting there and teach the lesson that, 'Son or Daughter, even though our team has been thoroughly decimated by injuries this season so far and even though we're short on talent in all the key areas (defense, pitching, relief pitching, hitting) we're going to chant to get rid of the manager?' Why does Tony win the chant game over Hahn. Or Harrison early this season when he was so bad or any of several relievers? I don't think it's positive for kids to be subject to home team fans booing their own team. It's not the main reason I think it's classless but why bring in the negativity to an outing with the family?

As far as Tony's crime, I woulda been OK with Sox firing him when he got that DUI. It shoulda happened frankly. Again, Sox upper management should be booed or chanted against that decision. Just my feelings.

Edited by greg775

16 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I agree that a closer/relief pitcher -should- be able to pitch to anyone in any situation, but it really seems like Liam has struggled in this scenario.  I dunno maybe it’s recency bias and I admittedly haven’t looked at his splits, it just seems like when he comes into a tie game in the 9th he doesn’t have “it”

It is a mystery. I guess that happens with some other closers.

10 hours ago, greg775 said:

Do you want your kids sitting there and teach the lesson that, 'Son or Daughter, even though our team has been thoroughly decimated by injuries this season so far and even though we're short on talent in all the key areas (defense, pitching, relief pitching, hitting) we're going to chant to get rid of the manager?' Why does Tony win the chant game over Hahn. Or Harrison early this season when he was so bad or any of several relievers? I don't think it's positive for kids to be subject to home team fans booing their own team. It's not the main reason I think it's classless but why bring in the negativity to an outing with the family?

As far as Tony's crime, I woulda been OK with Sox firing him when he got that DUI. It shoulda happened frankly. Again, Sox upper management should be booed or chanted against that decision. Just my feelings.

I guess there is a history of this.

Who remember Wally Backman the wife beater?

20 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm sorry but it does apply even if we don't want it to. Look at how Kimbrel pitched for the Sox, but he basically sucked in any situation the Sox put him in but it was mostly "hold"  and not "save" situations.

Kimbrel is not a good example.  He's a HOF closer who sucked with the Cubs (ask any Cubs fan) but they managed to get him fixed enough to palm him off on the Sox, where he returned to sucking.  And I wouldn't call his current status in SD as anything other than mediocrity.  He's over the hill. Saving or not saving.

4 hours ago, The Grinder said:

Was it right after the trading deadline in 1997, JR lamented something like "anyone who thinks we can catch Cleveland is crazy" and at that time we were 3 1/2 games out which led to the white flag trade.

Deja Vu again in a few days>?

I wonder how many Sox fans that freaked out in 97 because JR gave up on a team that was supposedly still in contention are the same Sox fans who have repeatedly written off this year's team.  Roughly the same record, roughly the same position in the standings, an unpopular manager.  The only difference is the 97 Cleveland team was a far better team than the teams the Sox are behind this year.

Edited by ThirdGen

4 hours ago, The Grinder said:

Was it right after the trading deadline in 1997, JR lamented something like "anyone who thinks we can catch Cleveland is crazy" and at that time we were 3 1/2 games out which led to the white flag trade.

Deja Vu again in a few days>?

It honestly wouldn't even upset me.  But with Tony there, the team doesn't have the guts.