Sure, David Peralta will solve everything

CentralChamps21

Per Mark Gonzales of the Sun Times

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2022/7/29/23284820/david-peralta-white-sox-diamondbacks-tony-la-russa-luis-robert-david-robertson-mychal-givens

Peralta is a strict platoon bat with a 121 wRC+ vs RHP this year and a 108 wRC+ since the start of the 2019 season.  He’s probably not going to give us a lot of OBP, with him likely sitting in the .320 to .330 range.  His ISO is up considerably this year, so there’s definitely some regression risk there (see Cesar Hernandez), but his secondary stats suggest he’s moved to a pull-heavier approach and is selling out some contact for additional power.

Defense wise, he has exclusively been a LF since 2019 where he’s been a slightly above average fielder for the most part.  He did have a strong 2019 season in which he posted 7 DRS on his way to a Gold Glove award.  And he has played some RF in the past and DRS felt he was above average there.  As a former pitcher, he should have the arm for it at least.

At a bare minimum, I think he’d be an improvement over Sheets.  I do have concerns adding a 34 year OF who would need to change leagues and positions (where have I seen this go wrong before 🤔) and his connection to Tony is also a bit terrifying.  But if better options don’t present themselves and the price is reasonable then I’d be ok with his addition.

I’ll paste this here as someone beat me to the punch:

Peralta is a strict platoon bat with a 121 wRC+ vs RHP this year and a 108 wRC+ since the start of the 2019 season.  He’s probably not going to give us a lot of OBP, with him likely sitting in the .320 to .330 range.  His ISO is up considerably this year, so there’s definitely some regression risk there (see Cesar Hernandez), but his secondary stats suggest he’s moved to a pull-heavier approach and is selling out some contact for additional power.

Defense wise, he has exclusively been a LF since 2019 where he’s been a slightly above average fielder for the most part.  He did have a strong 2019 season in which he posted 7 DRS on his way to a Gold Glove award.  And he has played some RF in the past and DRS felt he was above average there.  As a former pitcher, he should have the arm for it at least.

At a bare minimum, I think he’d be an improvement over Sheets.  I do have concerns adding a 34 year OF who would need to change leagues and positions (where have I seen this go wrong before 🤔) and his connection to Tony is also a bit terrifying.  But if better options don’t present themselves and the price is reasonable then I’d be ok with his addition

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Rather have him than Happ for what the cost will be.  Only issue is cost is still going to be fairly high.  This is the type of crap that should have been done in the offseason.

No doubt you actually try to improve your team during the off-season rather than wait to pay a markup at the deadline like Hahn loves to do.  That being said, you really think the cost is going to be fairly high?  I can’t imagine Peralta is that much more expensive than Naquin (who went for a song), but if it then that’s a problem for me.

20 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Seems likely with the TLR connections with Arizona. At least Peralta has always hit RHP. Does he have the arm for RF? He hasn't played there.

Peralta’s arm grades as a -1.8 on Fangraphs so far this year. That is in the bottom 10% of outfielders overall - for comparison his arm rates as just about as effective as Robert’s so far this year.

Both Sheets and Vaughn are also at about -2, but they have half of Peralta’s innings out there.

So, are is not a strength, not ideal, but we are throwing garbage out there right now so still a slight upgrade.

23 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

This team can’t acquire anyone who does not have a TLR connection apparently. When are they going to learn to get his corpse hands off this organization 

Yep. Everything La Russa touches turns to shit.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/peralda01.shtml

September 26, 2004: Signed by the St. Louis Cardinals as an amateur free agent.

May 5, 2009: Released by the St. Louis Cardinals.

July 3, 2013: Signed as a Free Agent with the Arizona Diamondbacks.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No doubt you actually try to improve your team during the off-season rather than wait to pay a markup at the deadline like Hahn loves to do.  That being said, you really think the cost is going to be fairly high?  I can’t imagine Peralta is that much more expensive than Naquin (who went for a song), but if it then that’s a problem for me.

Jays and Braves are for sure going after Happ or Peralta also, which will raise the cost.  Should have just gotten Naquin for cheap IMO.

8 minutes ago, RJSox_22 said:

Hasn’t had a single at bat as a Right Fielder since 12 ABs in 2018.  But he’s probably better than a AAA quality first baseman.  

I would rather play Pollock in RF, Vaughn in LF , Eloy DH every day

And Abreu to 2b?

At this point, I think Eloy/Robert/Grandal are either too injured or perhaps in Grandal's case too old to be as productive the rest of this season as they'd need to be to make a playoff run regardless of other acquisitions.

As such I'm not in favor of giving up any of the top 15-20 prospects to improve this team unless you're landing Soto or Ohtani. Just wait until the offseason when trade acquisitions cost less.

If you can get someone like Peralta or Gallo without giving up anybody of consequence, do it. They can soak up some outfield time so Eloy and Robert can get some more IL time in August-September and be 100% going into next season.

I'd 100% move Abreu if you can get anything good for him. Doesn't change the ability to bring him back next year if that's what you want.

Would dump Pollock and Kelly and eat money if it means getting something good in return, but if not then just keep them.

• Quin locked this topic