Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

20 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

What would Andrus cost? I know the common opinion is that there’s no way he repeats his Sox performance in 2023, which I don’t disagree with. But to me, he brought much more to the team than his numbers. It was refreshing to see a good baseball mind. He knew when to steal a base in a clutch moment, he knew when to sell out for a home run, and I just got the feeling that he was a very smart baseball player. I wish we had more guys like him on the team. 

Now, he’s obviously a bad fit with our current payroll, unless he can be signed for really cheap, but I would not mind Andrus on this team at all. 

I get what you’re saying, but the dude put up a 74 wRC+ in 1,700 PA’s over the previous four seasons prior to 2022.  He should not be a regular on a championship pursuing team and I don’t see him taking a part time role nor do I think that would be a good use of resources for us.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I get what you’re saying, but the dude put up a 74 wRC+ in 1,700 PA’s over the previous four seasons prior to 2022.  He should not be a regular on a championship pursuing team and I don’t see him taking a part time role nor do I think that would be a good use of resources for us.

Yeah, it all depends on cost and whether you are getting something closer to the second half of 2022 Andrus or the Andrus from the previous four years. 

The weird thing is that he was pulling the ball much more and his line drive percentage jumped significantly after joining the Sox. Why is that?  Is that just what a hot streak looks like, or is that a change in approach? I honestly don’t know. Maybe a little bit of both?

What if you could get a wRC+ of 90 with above average defense at 2B to go along with the leadership and baseball smarts that I discussed earlier?  Is that worth it for a one year deal in the $8 - $10M range?

14 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Yeah, it all depends on cost and whether you are getting something closer to the second half of 2022 Andrus or the Andrus from the previous four years. 

The weird thing is that he was pulling the ball much more and his line drive percentage jumped significantly after joining the Sox. Why is that?  Is that just what a hot streak looks like, or is that a change in approach? I honestly don’t know. Maybe a little bit of both?

What if you could get a wRC+ of 90 with above average defense at 2B to go along with the leadership and baseball smarts that I discussed earlier?  Is that worth it for a one year deal in the $8 - $10M range?

I don’t view that as enough upgrade over Sosa to warrant the cost.

• Like 2

Of surprise signings I’d be stoked about, I really like Brandon drury. Surprisingly competent at 2B, had 28 homers last year. 

You are buying it for real but…cheaper than if it was for real.

He can also play RF until colas, and let us see if any of romy/Sosa are ready.

Likelihood of pumpkin status looks large, but he has highest ceiling imo of inf left at potentially realistic prices.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Of surprise signings I’d be stoked about, I really like Brandon drury. Surprisingly competent at 2B, had 28 homers last year. 

You are buying it for real but…cheaper than if it was for real.

He can also play RF until colas, and let us see if any of romy/Sosa are ready.

Likelihood of pumpkin status looks large, but he has highest ceiling imo of inf left at potentially realistic prices.

He's gonna cost something around $10 million a year for 2-3 years. I'm not sure the Sox have that kind of money right now to sign him. 

14 minutes ago, chw42 said:

He's gonna cost something around $10 million a year for 2-3 years. I'm not sure the Sox have that kind of money right now to sign him. 

That’s probably true (though I’d be surprised if he gets a straight third year) but also not so high that it’s like, unbelievable.

If the Sox spent ten million per on Drury for 2-3 years, I am afraid they would play him over Colas once Colas is deemed ready just because of the dollars.  He hits righty and his defensive numbers are pretty poor everywhere.  Figure at his age, they don't improve.  Don't think Sox are a team with ten million dollar bench players especially with Leury's contract.  I would almost rather see if Cueto would take one year and an option  around that ten million as insurance for our starters and that assumes we have another ten million to spend which I doubt.  

Edited by BamaDoc

4 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

If the Sox spent ten million per on Drury for 2-3 years, I am afraid they would play him over Colas once Colas is deemed ready just because of the dollars.  He hits righty and his defensive numbers are pretty poor everywhere.  Figure at his age, they don't improve.  Don't think Sox are a team with ten million dollar bench players especially with Leury's contract.  I would almost rather see if Cueto would take one year and an option  around that ten million as insurance for our starters and that assumes we have another ten million to spend which I doubt.  

The beauty of signing Drury is that if Colas was indeed ready, then Drury just moves to 2B. 

Drury has now become my top target. A week ago, a friend of mine asked me how I would feel about a Drury signing. I said that if he was the only “outfield” addition, I would hate it. But if we signed him in addition to a true LF like Benintendi, then I would be ecstatic. Well, we’re halfway there on that plan now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Drury looks like a bad glove anywhere, right handed hitting, only good for short period, now 30, and how do you get the ten million to pay him?  Not trying to be a jerk, I am just trying to see the draw.  

What about Max Muncy?  Good glove, left handed hitter, multi position but would put at second, one year left at 13 million and good leader/playoff performance.  Obviously would need to trade for him  but............

1 hour ago, BamaDoc said:

Drury looks like a bad glove anywhere, right handed hitting, only good for short period, now 30, and how do you get the ten million to pay him?  Not trying to be a jerk, I am just trying to see the draw.  

What about Max Muncy?  Good glove, left handed hitter, multi position but would put at second, one year left at 13 million and good leader/playoff performance.  Obviously would need to trade for him  but............

Why do you say that? His defense on baseball savant looks serviceable.

So basically it’s small samples. So he probably isn’t good.

But baseball savant has him at just not negative at 2B, and DRAA (bp) has him bad at 3B but positive at 2B.

So yes I wouldn’t place bets on him being good but I do hope he could be avg.

Say a split of 30% he’s bad, 50% avg, 20% good at 2B.

He does look s%*# in OF though

6 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

I was looking at baseball reference and pretty much negatives everywhere

Not sure what they use but I’ve always enjoyed this article. Has led me to focus on bp for infield, baseball savant for OF.

https://www.draysbay.com/platform/amp/2020/4/15/21219514/mlb-defense-best-statistic-baseball-prospectus

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

What would Andrus cost? I know the common opinion is that there’s no way he repeats his Sox performance in 2023, which I don’t disagree with. But to me, he brought much more to the team than his numbers. It was refreshing to see a good baseball mind. He knew when to steal a base in a clutch moment, he knew when to sell out for a home run, and I just got the feeling that he was a very smart baseball player. I wish we had more guys like him on the team. 

Now, he’s obviously a bad fit with our current payroll, unless he can be signed for really cheap, but I would not mind Andrus on this team at all. 

Sox got lucky no doubt but damn 3.5 fWAR last year so that fits right in with good defense, smart base running, just a savvy ballplayer props you gave him.

It's hard  not to like a guy who actually performed when so few did last year. He looks good for 1.5 fWar standing on his head if he got the playing time. Plus maybe his hitting profile fits our park a lot better than it fit in Oakland or Texas or was just extremely healthy. He did play 149 games . Would be nice to get that from some of our guys.

If the Sox are ATM ignoring 2nd base FA's , examining internal or trade options it wouldn't hurt to monitor Andrus situation if his market drops very low.

He had to be doing a lot right last year to get that kind of fWar. Early in his career he was also a very good bunter. Don't see much of that out of him now but to be a 9th hitter in the lineup I wouldn't feel bad with him there and at 2b if all else but internal options fail.
I guess he's viewed as a Josh Harrison equivalent but when was the last time Harrison put up a 3.5 fWar ?

Eh someone will give him $6M . That's probably not a good idea for the Sox even though it's basically paying for  about 1 War or less .

• Like 1