Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

This would be my 2B plan moving forward:

1. Explore the trade route and hopefully something comes along that’s worth pulling the trigger on. 

2. If we’re moving into February and nothing has come to fruition on the trade front, then see if Drury or Andrus are still available. They are not players I’d sign right now, but if there’s not a market for them and they can be signed late in the offseason for less, then I would pull the trigger. 

3. If neither of the above works out, then just go with Sosa/Romy/Popeye. It’s nice that there are multiple internal options because even if one of them struggles, hopefully another will step up. 

12 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

This would be my 2B plan moving forward:

1. Explore the trade route and hopefully something comes along that’s worth pulling the trigger on. 

2. If we’re moving into February and nothing has come to fruition on the trade front, then see if Drury or Andrus are still available. They are not players I’d sign right now, but if there’s not a market for them and they can be signed late in the offseason for less, then I would pull the trigger. 

3. If neither of the above works out, then just go with Sosa/Romy/Popeye. It’s nice that there are multiple internal options because even if one of them struggles, hopefully another will step up. 

I can’t believe people would rather play Andrus than any of the young guys.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I can’t believe people would rather play Andrus than any of the young guys.

I would only want him if the price was right, but I loved what I saw from him last year in terms of intangibles and baseball smarts. We need more of that type of player on the team. 

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

I would only want him if the price was right, but I loved what I saw from him last year in terms of intangibles and baseball smarts. We need more of that type of player on the team. 

Didn’t he make a really dumb play that cost us?  All I can remember is that and a bunch of HRs.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Didn’t he make a really dumb play that cost us?  All I can remember is that and a bunch of HRs.

I don’t recall what you’re referring to, but that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. 

There was a game against Cleveland where we were down 1 in the middle part of the game. He led off an inning with a single and then stole second. We ended up scoring 3 runs that inning. Later that game in extras, he was on first with one or two outs and we trailed by a run. He stole second again, and then Abreu tied it up with a single.

I’m pretty sure we lost that game anyway, and that’s just one example that sticks out, but I just always got the feeling that he was one of the smartest players on the field…a guy you just want on your team. But I’m admittedly going off of a gut feeling, rather than something that can be measured. 

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

I don’t recall what you’re referring to, but that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. 

There was a game against Cleveland where we were down 1 in the middle part of the game. He led off an inning with a single and then stole second. We ended up scoring 3 runs that inning. Later that game in extras, he was on first with one or two outs and we trailed by a run. He stole second again, and then Abreu tied it up with a single.

I’m pretty sure we lost that game anyway, and that’s just one example that sticks out, but I just always got the feeling that he was one of the smartest players on the field…a guy you just want on your team. But I’m admittedly going off of a gut feeling, rather than something that can be measured. 

It was a defensive play I’m thinking about, but can’t quite recall the specific moment.  Just remember him holding the ball and letting a guy score.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

It was a defensive play I’m thinking about, but can’t quite recall the specific moment.  Just remember him holding the ball and letting a guy score.

Can’t remember the specific game but he kinda stood there in a lapse of judgement momentarily and the runner headed home but Andrus threw him out anyway if I recall correctly.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Sosa did not close to being a major leaguer in any facet last year. Romy, despite being awful himself, at least looked the part. Hope we are not forced into having to rely on Sosa though.

So romy looked more like a big leaguer after having been in mlb before and repeating AAA than the guy who jumped from AA and was 4 years younger?

Color me shocked.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Johno said:

Do we consider bringing Madrigal back?   Right now he’s going to be a backup.

I got the sense that the team was definitely ok when he left and they weren't too excited about his "Mr. 3000" cockiness. I think it's best to move on from some personalities like that and get a refresh in the clubhouse

12 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Sosa did not close to being a major leaguer in any facet last year. Romy, despite being awful himself, at least looked the part. Hope we are not forced into having to rely on Sosa though.

It was 33 PA’s…he’s about to be 23 and more than proved himself in the upper minors. What’s the point in developing prospects if you’re not going to play them?

I understand Sosa is flawed and I’m not saying I’m super confident in him, but we also don’t need an all-star at 2B. Give me above average D and a .700+ OPS and I’m happy…especially if it’s from a dirt cheap rookie contract. 

1 minute ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

It was 33 PA’s…he’s about to be 23 and more than proved himself in the upper minors. What’s the point in developing prospects if you’re not going to play them?

I understand Sosa is flawed and I’m not saying I’m super confident in him, but we also don’t need an all-star at 2B. Give me above average D and a .700+ OPS and I’m happy…especially if it’s from a dirt cheap rookie contract. 

We definitely need more all stars. We don’t need to pay for a .700 ops 2nd baseman with average d.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

We definitely need more all stars. We don’t need to pay for a .700 ops 2nd baseman with average d.

I get it…but who are we getting that is going to be a difference making 2B? I’m all for exploring a Lowe trade with TB, but that might be about the only option and it’s very unlikely. 
Like it or not, if this team is going anywhere carried by all-stars it’s going to be TA, Robert, and Eloy (with Benintendi, Vaughn, and Yoan also playing well). 

3 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I get it…but who are we getting that is going to be a difference making 2B? I’m all for exploring a Lowe trade with TB, but that might be about the only option and it’s very unlikely. 
Like it or not, if this team is going anywhere carried by all-stars it’s going to be TA, Robert, and Eloy (with Benintendi, Vaughn, and Yoan also playing well). 

We’re not.  Without even checking most teams probably have a low OPS 2B.  

We happen to have 2-3 pretty darn good young guys to try there.  This is a position we should not be spending money on IMO

30 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I got the sense that the team was definitely ok when he left and they weren't too excited about his "Mr. 3000" cockiness. I think it's best to move on from some personalities like that and get a refresh in the clubhouse

Pedro is the one charged with refreshing the clubhouse.  There are petty differences in every clubhouse.