Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

32 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sox are totally going to sign Moustakas and keep Burger in AAA.

Burger shouldn't sniff the MLB roster if its healthy.  He'll certainly be needed at some point, but if Burger breaks camp with the team, that is very bad news. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 9:25 AM, Squirmin' for Yermin said:
On 10/26/2022 at 8:53 AM, he gone. said:

Just a reminder Conforto turned down a 1/18mm deal ... I know he had a shoulder, but I'd be shocked if he takes less than 15mm on a year deal. I'd venture he'd take something like 3/42mm just as a safety net on years if you gave him options out after each year (like nick martinez), but he's not settling for 10mm on a year basis. 

He will be much lower since he hasnt played in a year and the year before that he was not very good.  He will be a 1 year deal guy with high incentives.

Said I'd bookmark this for when he signed... he got 2/36mm with the opt out after year one. 

On 10/26/2022 at 10:04 AM, he gone. said:
On 10/26/2022 at 9:25 AM, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

He will be much lower since he hasnt played in a year and the year before that he was not very good.  He will be a 1 year deal guy with high incentives.

We'll bookmark this for when he signs. I'll go 1 year, $16mm. 

Don't forget ... Seiya Suzuki, $17mm annually, Avi garcia $13.25mm annually, Soler $12mm annually (all multi year), Mark Canha $13.25mm annually...Schwarbs $20mm. Andrew McCutchen got $8.5mm, Tommy Pham got $7.5mm...

If you're saying the price of Conforto is less than Mark Canha just cause of a shoulder injury and time off then sign me up. Getting the same type of deal that McCutchen got would be a steal. I'd fire my agent in a second if that's what he told me to sign. 

7 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Making summer plans during the off season. Full day at Cooperstown? Half day? Other things to do in the area? We're heading to Maine then across Canada to Thunder Bay then back to a Texas. 

We did the Baseball HOF a couple years ago. Could easily spend a half day there. Rest of the town is pretty much a tourist trap.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

We did the Baseball HOF a couple years ago. Could easily spend a half day there. Rest of the town is pretty much a tourist trap.

One more thing I'll add. My dad's mobility isn't good and he doesn't do well on his feet for extended periods, but not bad enough that he needs a walker or wheelchair. The baseball HOF was very light on spots to sit compared to most museums. As a result we ended up only spending about 90 minutes there.

7 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

One more thing I'll add. My dad's mobility isn't good and he doesn't do well on his feet for extended periods, but not bad enough that he needs a walker or wheelchair. The baseball HOF was very light on spots to sit compared to most museums. As a result we ended up only spending about 90 minutes there.

Thank you. I'm worried that my wife will be really bored. 

I found a perfect HOF day was to get there around open to early afternoon and then drive to NYC for a game. Was fortunate to see the greatest shutout (22-0) against the Yankees in their history, an excellent nightcap to a great baseball day.

Yankees Stadium is one of only two of the 42 MLB stadiums I've visited where I felt compelled to pay to park to have a car after the game. Kansas City was the other, though that was due to the layout of the stadium "neighborhood" and lack of walking options than concern of car theft.

40 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Thank you. I'm worried that my wife will be really bored. 

You’ll be in the Finger Lakes area of upstate New York. Tons of parks and outdoor spots, lots of waterfalls. Within driving distance of a neat glass museum in Corning NY, could drive to the Poconos or Syracuse or the lakefront.

384F77A8-042C-4A75-9BB3-A46389A9159B.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Making summer plans during the off season. Full day at Cooperstown? Half day? Other things to do in the area? We're heading to Maine then across Canada to Thunder Bay then back to a Texas. 

Leatherstockings golf course if that's your thing.  Boat ride on Otesaga Lake is nice also.  It's the area written about in James Fenimore Coopers...Last of the Mohicans.  Nice trip!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Sign Segura and one of Duvall, Pillar, Pham and call it an off-season (besides minor league signings).

Dbacks seem to be in a bit of limbo following the Varsho deal. Would love to get Marte from them. Segura would be better than nothing but just don’t love that fit.

• Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Dbacks seem to be in a bit of limbo following the Varsho deal. Would love to get Marte from them. Segura would be better than nothing but just don’t love that fit.

Yeah I’d like to add left-handed/switch hitters wherever possible but I guess if the in-house options are right-handed, I wouldn’t hate a Segura signing. Especially if he has to take a 1 year deal (maybe with option). I still think he’s a fit for the Dodgers or Red Sox.

12 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah I’d like to add left-handed/switch hitters wherever possible but I guess if the in-house options are right-handed, I wouldn’t hate a Segura signing. Especially if he has to take a 1 year deal (maybe with option). I still think he’s a fit for the Dodgers or Red Sox.

Dbacks are said to be seeking RP. With Ketel’s contract, he probably doesn’t have a ton of surplus value coming off 22. Perhaps Sox could get him for something like Graveman + Burger + backend filler piece (Dalquist/Yolbert type). They have room to give Burger at bats. 

Impact to Sox payroll only a few million for 2023. 

edit - not that it means much, but trade sim says that deal is well in favor of Dbacks and even would be flipping Kelly in for Graveman. Doubt dbacks would view it that way, tho! 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Dbacks are said to be seeking RP. With Ketel’s contract, he probably doesn’t have a ton of surplus value coming off 22. Perhaps Sox could get him for something like Graveman + Burger + backend filler piece (Dalquist/Yolbert type). They have room to give Burger at bats. 

Impact to Sox payroll only a few million for 2023. 

edit - not that it means much, but trade sim says that deal is well in favor of Dbacks and even would be flipping Kelly in for Graveman. Doubt dbacks would view it that way, tho! 

I doubt they'd be interested in a non-prospect package led deal.  I wonder if Crochet would interest them as a headliner. Yeah the trade analyzer HATES marte's contract lol

32 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I doubt they'd be interested in a non-prospect package led deal.  I wonder if Crochet would interest them as a headliner. Yeah the trade analyzer HATES marte's contract lol

Probably not, but they do need relief pitching.

Marte probably doesn't have a ton of trade value, so they can't really expect to get much prospect-wise.  They could of course hold in hopes he has a big 2023, and then re-assess.  He is controlled thru 2027 at $73M ($14.6M AAV), with a $13M club option for 2028.  

This team needs to keep adding.  A 4th OF is a must.  I’d love to see us acquire a LH hitting infielder, even if they aren’t a lock-down starter at 2B.  The bench right now is a bit of a mess, especially if you’re going with Romy or Sosa as the primary 2B.  Leury clogging up with roster doesn’t help matters either.

And I hope we see a couple SPs brought in on minor league deals.  Obviously they won’t be studs, but we desperately need to beef up Charlotte’s rotation with guys that can at least be replacement level if called upon.

• Like 1