Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

2 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Trade Hendriks, Jose Rodriguez and Jared Kelly for Danny Jansen- Blue Jays trade 1 of their C’s to solidify their bullpen with a proven closer and add prospects to gear up for a mid-season trade to put them over the top. Obviously Jansen fits perfectly for the Sox and  the trade saves 10mil

Trade Grandal for Tommy LaStella- Giants have Joey Bart but no clear backup C or clear cut DH option. LaStella was a bust for them and has no path for playing time after recent signings. Grandal acts as a mentor for Bart and gets semi-regular AB’s at C/DH/1B. Sox save 7 mil and get a LH 2B platoon/utility guy while unloading Grandal after the Jansen trade

Trade Burger for a young, cost controlled RP with a live arm and options- I think it will be hard for Burger to ever see playing time here as RH 1B/DH and more options in the pen will help after trading Hendriks.

With saved 17mil from trades- Sign Michael Fulmer and Wil Myers. Fulmer fills a bullpen gap as a solid MRP and Myers is RH backup to both corner OF spots (possible platoon with Colas) to ensure that Eloy doesn’t see the field and also backups up 1B and DH. 

TA
Benintendi
Robert
Eloy
Colas
Jansen
Vaughn
Yoan
Sosa/LaStella
Bench- Myers, Luery, Seby

SP-Cease, Lynn, Gio, Kopech, Clevinger
CL- Lopez
Setup- Graveman/Bummer
MRP- Fulmer, Kelly, Diekman, Lambert/Burger Trade
Long- Avila

Lol at that Hendriks proposal. Don’t hate the idea of going after LaStella tho. Liked his as a 2B for last season. 

I would be fine rolling this out for opening day assuming we don't add anything else.

SS - Anderson (R)

LF - Benintendi (L)

CF - Robert (R)

DH - Jimenez (R)

3B - Moncada (S)

1B - Vaughn (R)

C - Grandal (S)

RF - Colas (L)

2B - Sosa (R)

• Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 9:30 AM, black jack said:

We're still 30-40 million below the tax line and I don't believe the lies of no money.  It's billion dollar company in one of the largest markets in the country.  

I expect another starter, catcher, and second baseman to be added. 

Another Starter?  They already have 5 plus Martin, Lopez , and Lambert as swing men.  

1 hour ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Another Starter?  They already have 5 plus Martin, Lopez , and Lambert as swing men.  

Martin suffered the dreaded "forearm soreness" in his last start, the Sox haven't said one word about his condition...until we see him on the mound pitching who knows what to expect from him.  

• Like 3

What starting pitcher is signing with the Sox to be the 6th starter? And how do we fit a 6th starter on the 26 man roster while keeping them stretched out to start in a pinch?

We should absolutely be looking at minor league depth/NRI deals, but I don’t see how anyone can logically think we are signing a proven, healthy MLB starter right now. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

What starting pitcher is signing with the Sox to be the 6th starter? And how do we fit a 6th starter on the 26 man roster while keeping them stretched out to start in a pinch?

We should absolutely be looking at minor league depth/NRI deals, but I don’t see how anyone can logically think we are signing a proven, healthy MLB starter right now. 

Yeah it might be easier to option Lambert to use him as a starter and then add another reliever.

1 hour ago, ShoeLessRob said:

I don’t think Lopez or Lambert are going to get any starting pitching considerations going forward. 

Yes this is likely true . They aren't swing men now despite the fact they were once starting pitchers. They are 1 IP+ relief pitchers. It's where they have performed best and should stay in those roles.

Lambert is 28 now and found his niche. It's not like he was ever a top prospect as a SP.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Right outside of Davis Martin can anyone name a AAA SP pitcher the Sox have who can actually average 4+innings per start and still have an ERA below 5.00 ?